Any ideas for candidates for HOPL-III?

James Britt

7/15/2006 6:40:00 AM

"In 1978, the first History of Programming Language Conference (HOPL)
described the development of 13 computer programming languages, the
people who participated in that work, and the context in which it was
undertaken. In 1993, HOPL-II contained 14 papers on the genesis and
evolution of programming languages. It is time for HOPL-III, to be held
with FCRC 2007 in San Diego. Each HOPL-III paper should detail the early
history or evolution of a specific programming language. Preliminary
ideas about each language should have been documented by 1996 and each
language should have been in use by 1998."

http://research.ihost...

Ruby meets the age criteria.

--
James Britt

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute."
- H. Abelson and G. Sussman
(in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)

4 Answers

studlee2@gmail.com

James,

Are you sure we can still submit? It listed some dates for paper
submission last year. Unless a paper could be automatically put into
the second round, I think we missed our chance as a community. I'd be
interested in writing about Ruby -- with some help of course >_<

"Authors should submit a 1 page abstract by July 8, 2005. Full papers
for the first round are due on August 15, 2005, with notification to
authors in January 2006. Second round submissions will be due in August
2006, with notification to authors in January 2007. Camera ready copy
will be due in March 2007. Authors of accepted papers will be required
to sign ACM copyright release forms."

_Steve

studlee2@gmail.com wrote:
> James,
>
> Are you sure we can still submit?

Further proof of the value of literacy.

I saw this mentioned on Lambda the Ultimate, scanned it quick, and (oh
so cleverly) assumed that this would not be a topic for discussion on
LtU if it weren't still open.

Reading it (for real)now, I see the 2005 dates; thinking it was typo, I
poked around, but found this page:

http://research.ihost.com/hopl/cal...

So indeed the boat has left the pier.

We can plan for HOPL IV in, what, 2021?

--
James Britt

"I never dispute another person's delusions, just their facts."
- Len Bullard

studlee2@gmail.com

I'll be in a retirment home by then -- not really I'm 23 -- but that is
a really long time to have to wait. Argh! The injustices of ACM-HOPL.

Oh well! Maybe next time.

_Steve

James Britt wrote:
> studlee2@gmail.com wrote:
> > James,
> >
> > Are you sure we can still submit?
>
> Further proof of the value of literacy.
>
> I saw this mentioned on Lambda the Ultimate, scanned it quick, and (oh
> so cleverly) assumed that this would not be a topic for discussion on
> LtU if it weren't still open.
>
> Reading it (for real)now, I see the 2005 dates; thinking it was typo, I
> poked around, but found this page:
>
> http://research.ihost.com/hopl/cal...
>
> So indeed the boat has left the pier.
>

> We can plan for HOPL IV in, what, 2021?
>

> --
> James Britt
>
> "I never dispute another person's delusions, just their facts."
> - Len Bullard

Anti-DabianchenVirus

Things may rarely have absolute answers, but I agree absolutely with
you about the conditions that are now present. That was why I
mentioned jokingly about "Avatar", where "??" was clearly shown to be
the aggressor, comparable to today's American foreign policy.

But of course you are the better person than you were yesterday - in
English, there is also the saying that you are a better person than
you were yesterday, but not as good a person as the one you will be
tomorrow. No, one should not stumble over little things, but one must
be aware that they exist, because little things can grow to be big
things.
A few days ago, I mentioned about a wonderful Chinese film that I saw
- ????. I think everyone who was anyone in Chinese films was in that
film, and they all contributed to the making of the film by not taking
any fees for it. How wonderful to see and hear Jackie Chan as the
bespectacled reporter from Hong Kong speaking Cantonese, and Jet Li as
the KMT admiral avoiding confrontation to cause bloodshed of the
Chinese people. Even Zhang Zhiyi had two lines to say - like I said,
if you blinked, you'd miss the appearance of many big names in Chinese
films. It showed clearly how the Americans refused financial aid to
CKS, when his wife went to Washington, DC.