Re: ODBC Database Connectivity

walter kruse

7/14/2006 1:10:00 PM

Hi

I'm having trouble with ruby + db's. I am running mysql for Mantis on
localhost (Windows XP using XAMPP).

I installed mysql-2.7.1-mswin32.gem and cannot connect with
`_get_full_driver' error.

I then created mantis as an ODBC DSN and I get:

C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in `connect': S1T00
(1049) [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Unknown database ' mantis'
(DBI::DatabaseError)

I tested the connection, so I know it's set up correctly and works.

If you look closely at the last bit of the error, ' mantis', it looks
like there is a space between the first quote and the DSN name. Don't
know if that's significant ?

Tim Haynes

Walter Kruse wrote:

> I'm having trouble with ruby + db's. I am running mysql for Mantis on
> localhost (Windows XP using XAMPP).
>
> I installed mysql-2.7.1-mswin32.gem and cannot connect with
> `_get_full_driver' error.
>
> I then created mantis as an ODBC DSN and I get:
>
> C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in `connect': S1T00
> (1049) [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Unknown database ' mantis'
> (DBI::DatabaseError)
>
> I tested the connection, so I know it's set up correctly and works.
>
> If you look closely at the last bit of the error, ' mantis', it looks
> like there is a space between the first quote and the DSN name. Don't
> know if that's significant ?

Two things:
First, mysql-2.7.1-mswin32.gem has nothing to do with ODBC. It will
allow you to start from the default config/database.yml which references
mysql directly; by changing the login details and database in this file
you'll get straight through. Configuring ODBC DSNs is orthogonal to
using this gem.

Alternatively, if you want to go via ODBC, there is the ODBC Adapter for
ActiveRecord/Rails, at http://odbc-rails.ruby... .