Setting up Ruby libraries

Joe Van Dyk

7/13/2006 12:55:00 AM

In my group, we typically set up software dependencies like this:

/libraries
/gtk
/2.4.11
/rhel3
/usr/
/bin/
/share
/lib
/irix
# etc
/gcc
/3.3.1
/bin
#etc

So, we have libraries and utilities that we depend on installed to a
separate directory, one directory for each different version and
architecture. How can we do the same with Ruby and its libraries?
I'd like to see something like:

/ruby
/1.8.4
/rhel3
# ruby stuff
/1.8.5
/rhel3
/irix
# ruby stuff

/ruby-gnome2
/0.14.1
/rhel3
/irix
/0.15.1
etc

/rmagick
/1.0
/2.0

So, each different Ruby library or gem would be installed to a
different folder. Is that possible? By default, all the Ruby
libraries and gems are installed inside the Ruby directory. And I
think I'd prefer to keep them separate.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Joe

2 Answers

Joe Van Dyk

On 7/12/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my group, we typically set up software dependencies like this:
>
> /libraries
> /gtk
> /2.4.11
> /rhel3
> /usr/
> /bin/
> /share
> /lib
> /irix
> # etc
> /gcc
> /3.3.1
> /bin
> #etc
>

> So, we have libraries and utilities that we depend on installed to a
> separate directory, one directory for each different version and
> architecture. How can we do the same with Ruby and its libraries?
> I'd like to see something like:
>
> /ruby
> /1.8.4
> /rhel3
> # ruby stuff
> /1.8.5
> /rhel3
> /irix
> # ruby stuff
>
> /ruby-gnome2
> /0.14.1
> /rhel3
> /irix
> /0.15.1
> etc
>
> /rmagick
> /1.0
> /2.0
>
> So, each different Ruby library or gem would be installed to a
> different folder. Is that possible? By default, all the Ruby
> libraries and gems are installed inside the Ruby directory. And I
> think I'd prefer to keep them separate.

Simpler question:

Ruby is installed in /foo. I want to install a Ruby library to /goo,
and another Ruby library to /bar. How straight forward is that to set
up? What flags to I need to give to each libraries setup.rb or
exec_conf.rb?

Thanks,
Joe

Trans

Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> Simpler question:
>
> Ruby is installed in /foo. I want to install a Ruby library to /goo,
> and another Ruby library to /bar. How straight forward is that to set
> up? What flags to I need to give to each libraries setup.rb or
> exec_conf.rb?

sudo ruby setup.rb install --prefix="foo"

You'll either need to symlink into the typical paths or add to the
$LOAD_PATH.

BTW, gems basically does this already, albiet foo-1.0.0/, Not usre
about architecture though.

Also, I have a project that relates to this, so I'm wonder what you
working on?

T.