Re: ruby-ldap on Windows (built

Jason Woodruff

7/11/2006 1:07:00 PM

Peter Tseng wrote:
> Ian Macdonald wrote:
>>
>>> Current Ruby/LDAP CVS has the changes, so I'm curious to know if the
>>> Windows build now works out of the box. I'd be grateful if Windows users
>>> could try this out and report back.
>>
>> I worked with Chris Scharf to fix the issues on Windows and am pleased
>> to say that the result is the release of version 0.9.5, the first
>> version known to work on Windows since I took over maintenance of the
>> code.
>>
>> If anyone experiences any problems with this version, please let me
>> know. It should just work out of the box.
>
> The new version worked on Windows for me. I updated my Platform SDK to
> the newest version just in case and then ran 'ruby extconf.rb
> --with-wldap32', 'nmake', and
> 'nmake install', as mentioned above. I had a small problem at first
> though, I think because it didn't like spaces in my path (I put the
> files on my desktop). I also used require 'LDAP' instead of require
> 'ldap' when I was testing it, which it didn't like. I guess the
> convention is to use lower-case for require?

Hi
Just wondering how to build this. Have never built a windows app from
source before. Have downloaded SDK and Visual C++ Express Edition. Not
really sure what I'm doing with these apps., but decided to set v0.9.5
as a new project and run build against it. This throws up the error
that the include ruby.h can't be found.
Not sure when or where I would use "ruby extconf.rb ..." apart from in
command prompt. If so, where does 'nmake' and 'nmake install' go?
Finally, why not either provide some clearer instruction on the project,
or provide a binary?
thanks
Jason

Jason Woodruff

Jason Woodruff wrote:
> Peter Tseng wrote:
>> Ian Macdonald wrote:

>>> I worked with Chris Scharf to fix the issues on Windows and am pleased
>>> to say that the result is the release of version 0.9.5, the first
>>> version known to work on Windows since I took over maintenance of the
>>> code.
>>>
>>> If anyone experiences any problems with this version, please let me
>>> know. It should just work out of the box.
>>
>> The new version worked on Windows for me. I updated my Platform SDK to
>> the newest version just in case and then ran 'ruby extconf.rb
>> --with-wldap32', 'nmake', and
>> 'nmake install', as mentioned above. I had a small problem at first
>> though, I think because it didn't like spaces in my path (I put the
>> files on my desktop). I also used require 'LDAP' instead of require
>> 'ldap' when I was testing it, which it didn't like. I guess the
>> convention is to use lower-case for require?
>
> Hi
> Just wondering how to build this. Have never built a windows app from
> source before. Have downloaded SDK and Visual C++ Express Edition. Not
> really sure what I'm doing with these apps., but decided to set v0.9.5
> as a new project and run build against it. This throws up the error
> that the include ruby.h can't be found.
> Not sure when or where I would use "ruby extconf.rb ..." apart from in
> command prompt. If so, where does 'nmake' and 'nmake install' go?
> Finally, why not either provide some clearer instruction on the project,
> or provide a binary?
> thanks
> Jason

I should probably add that I am running OpenLDAP and not Active
Directory. Therefore is the --with-wldap32 command correct? Using
--with-openldap2 I get the error that ldap.h and other folders cannot be
found. This is because OpenLDAP for Windows port is compiled ... Tried
using the ldap.h files from the Linux source, but not sure of the
command prompt for this ... ?

Jason Woodruff

Jason Woodruff wrote:

Just to post a solution to my problems: a gem has been made available

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:XGh2OrFoEVMJ:toolbox.boudry.org/articles/2006/05/09/building-ruby-ldap-for-win32+ruby+ldap+windows+0.9.5&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk...

Perhaps this should be made available through the project?

Rcmn Rcmn

my goal is installing ruby with support for Mssql and LDAP on windows
XP:
//Already installed and tested:
ruby184-20.exe (on click installer)
dbi-0.1.1 (for driver ADO)

//related to my problem:
log4r-1.0.5 (installed)
Ruby-activeldap-0.7.4.gem (installed)

ruby-ldap-0.9.7 (Failed) =>
mkmf.log :
have_header: checking for ldap.h... -------------------- no

"cl -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6
conftest.c -P"
checked program was:
/* begin */
#include <ldap.h>
/* end */

--------------------

have_header: checking for lber.h... -------------------- no

"cl -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6
conftest.c -P"
checked program was:
/* begin */
#include <lber.h>
/* end */

--------------------

have_header: checking for ldap_ssl.h... -------------------- no

"cl -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6
conftest.c -P"
checked program was:
/* begin */
#include <ldap_ssl.h>
/* end */

Francis Cianfrocca

On 8/28/06, Rcmn Rcmn <rcmn73@gmail.com> wrote:
> my goal is installing ruby with support for Mssql and LDAP on windows
> XP:
> //Already installed and tested:
> ruby184-20.exe (on click installer)
> dbi-0.1.1 (for driver ADO)
>
> //related to my problem:
> log4r-1.0.5 (installed)
> Ruby-activeldap-0.7.4.gem (installed)
>
> ruby-ldap-0.9.7 (Failed) =>
> mkmf.log :

Sorry for the offtopic, but you may find that the Net::LDAP library
meets your needs. It's pure Ruby and doesn't require a compiler.

greg.kujawa

As far as I can recall I was able to install the MSSQL support without
incident using the Ruby DBI project in my 1.8.2 One-Click Installer for
Windows environment. As for LDAP I struggled for awhile trying to build
the Ruby/LDAP library and recently was able to stumble across the
Net::LDAP library which installs right from the command prompt without
requiring compliation.

Rcmn Rcmn wrote:
> my goal is installing ruby with support for Mssql and LDAP on windows
> XP:
> //Already installed and tested:
> ruby184-20.exe (on click installer)
> dbi-0.1.1 (for driver ADO)
>
> //related to my problem:
> log4r-1.0.5 (installed)
> Ruby-activeldap-0.7.4.gem (installed)
>
> ruby-ldap-0.9.7 (Failed) =>
> mkmf.log :
> have_header: checking for ldap.h... -------------------- no
>
> "cl -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6
> conftest.c -P"
> checked program was:
> /* begin */
> #include <ldap.h>
> /* end */
>
> --------------------
>
> have_header: checking for lber.h... -------------------- no
>
> "cl -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6
> conftest.c -P"
> checked program was:
> /* begin */
> #include <lber.h>
> /* end */
>
> --------------------
>
> have_header: checking for ldap_ssl.h... -------------------- no
>
> "cl -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6
> conftest.c -P"
> checked program was:
> /* begin */
> #include <ldap_ssl.h>
> /* end */

Rcmn Rcmn

i've seen net::ruby like i've seen so many duplicate project.Since the
activity for net::ruby is only 76% i thought maybe it was a better
choice going with activeldap.Thank you for the pointer i will go with
Net:ruby instead.

As far as ADO i'm 100% sure i had to reinstall it.I uninstall/reinstall
ruby 3 time.For each step i have a script ready to test my install.Each
time it complain on the driver.So i had to intall --dbd_ado and it
worked after that.Also a lot of post relate on that problem.

Francis Cianfrocca

On 8/28/06, Rcmn Rcmn <rcmn73@gmail.com> wrote:
> i've seen net::ruby like i've seen so many duplicate project.Since the
> activity for net::ruby is only 76% i thought maybe it was a better
> choice going with activeldap.Thank you for the pointer i will go with
> Net:ruby instead.

Net::LDAP is definitely active. I just checked some new features into
it this evening. As far as ActiveLDAP is concerned, I've talked
several times with Will Drewry about refactoring it to run above
Net::LDAP. One of these days, someone will get around to doing that,
and then ActiveLDAP will also be usable without requiring a compiler.

Rcmn Rcmn

Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> On 8/28/06, Rcmn Rcmn <rcmn73@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i've seen net::ruby like i've seen so many duplicate project.Since the
>> activity for net::ruby is only 76% i thought maybe it was a better
>> choice going with activeldap.Thank you for the pointer i will go with
>> Net:ruby instead.
>>

> Net::LDAP is definitely active. I just checked some new features into
> it this evening. As far as ActiveLDAP is concerned, I've talked
> several times with Will Drewry about refactoring it to run above
> Net::LDAP. One of these days, someone will get around to doing that,
> and then ActiveLDAP will also be usable without requiring a compiler.

actually u're right about Net::LDAP i just check it and noticed it too.

That would be great if ActiveLdap get accessible without compiling.
Because i almost choose to do this project with python.I was done with
my test in less than 3 hours installation included. I was ready to go
with it but i found active_directory ,a python module, easy to use but
also very limitated.

So i decided to stick with ruby a little longer.But if net::ldap is to
much to get around in short periode i'll have to change direction.
Meanwhile rdoc and this forum are valuable resources and i'm confident
i'll be able to get it done with R.

Francis Cianfrocca

On 8/28/06, Rcmn 73 <rcmn73@gmail.com> wrote:
> That would be great if ActiveLdap get accessible without compiling.
> Because i almost choose to do this project with python.I was done with
> my test in less than 3 hours installation included. I was ready to go
> with it but i found active_directory ,a python module, easy to use but
> also very limitated.

Out of curiosity, what were the specific limitations you found with
the python module active_directory? I want to make sure I didn't leave
similar limitations in Net::LDAP :-).

Rcmn Rcmn

Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> Rcmn 73 wrote:
>> Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
>>>>

>>> Out of curiosity, what were the specific limitations you found with
>>> the python module active_directory? I want to make sure I didn't leave
>>> similar limitations in Net::LDAP :-).
>>
>> this module allow to just search.No add/remove function .And i run into
>> a limitation, 1500 max returns(That's just what i've been experiencing).
>
> Thanks for the information. Net::LDAP has the full set of LDAP
> operations. I'm a little surprised that you are able to get 1500 entries
> per search, though. The usual limitation with ActiveDirectory is 1000.
> Many tools have this limitation, which is caused by a lack of support
> for RFC-2696. Net::LDAP doesn't have this limitation, and neither do the
> more recent versions of ldapsearch.
>
> I've never heard of 1500, though, unless your A/D configuration has been
> tweaked.

This is a very good new that Net::LDAP does not have this limitation.
As our Active directory limitation it has probably limitated to
1500.Using PHP or the DS command's i can get various result but i was
never able to get more than 1500+.And depending of the periode of the
day PHP or DS cmd would just died without any return.Anyway with the
python module i get a consitent 1500.So maybe as u mention the
limitation is an AD setting.
So i assume i will run into that limitation also with Net::LDAP...Or
Net::LDAP process search by a different way and avoid this sort of
limitation ? By getting a set of 100 then an other 100 etc ? Or is that
impossible?