1.8.4 One-Click deletes my Rails gems!

Jeff

7/10/2006 4:47:00 PM

I noticed that Curt posted the 1.8.4 OCI to RubyForge over the weekend,
so I used it today to install 1.8.4 (I had 1.8.2 here at work).

After doing so, I no longer had any of my Rails gems and need to
reinstall (which is a real pain with the firewall here... have to
download the gems manually, etc.)

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!
Jeff
www.softiesonrails.com

James Britt

Jeff Cohen wrote:
> I noticed that Curt posted the 1.8.4 OCI to RubyForge over the weekend,
> so I used it today to install 1.8.4 (I had 1.8.2 here at work).
>
> After doing so, I no longer had any of my Rails gems and need to
> reinstall (which is a real pain with the firewall here... have to
> download the gems manually, etc.)
>
> Anyone else have this problem?

This was discussed on ruby-talk a few times as Curt was released RC
versions of the installer.

The installer should have made it clear that it was going to obliterate
your entire ruby installation destination directory (typically c:\ruby).
That happens to be a parent of where gems go, so they are deleted as
well if you are reusing the same location.

Maybe this is dopey, but have you checked the recycle bin?

(I've decided not to upgrade until I have a good migration plan that
ensures I do not lose any of my installed gems and other 3rd-party libs
and files, and do not have to jump through hoops to get everything
working the same. Suggestions welcome.)

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jame... - Playing with Better Toys
http://www.30seco... - Building Better Tools

Patrick Hurley

On 7/10/06, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeff Cohen wrote:
> > I noticed that Curt posted the 1.8.4 OCI to RubyForge over the weekend,
> > so I used it today to install 1.8.4 (I had 1.8.2 here at work).
> >
> > After doing so, I no longer had any of my Rails gems and need to
> > reinstall (which is a real pain with the firewall here... have to
> > download the gems manually, etc.)
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem?
> >

> This was discussed on ruby-talk a few times as Curt was released RC
> versions of the installer.
>
> The installer should have made it clear that it was going to obliterate
> your entire ruby installation destination directory (typically c:\ruby).
> That happens to be a parent of where gems go, so they are deleted as
> well if you are reusing the same location.
>
> Maybe this is dopey, but have you checked the recycle bin?
>
> (I've decided not to upgrade until I have a good migration plan that
> ensures I do not lose any of my installed gems and other 3rd-party libs
> and files, and do not have to jump through hoops to get everything
> working the same. Suggestions welcome.)
>

> --
> James Britt
>
> http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
> http://www.artima.c... - The Journal By & For Rubyists
> http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
> http://www.jame... - Playing with Better Toys
> http://www.30seco... - Building Better Tools

Not perfect (at least not automated), but copying your
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\cache
directory and then doing a batch install of those files locally works
pretty well. As for non-gem apps, I keep them in version control with
a batch to reinstall.

pth

Jeff

James Britt wrote:
> This was discussed on ruby-talk a few times as Curt was released RC
> versions of the installer.

Sorry I missed it somehow.

> The installer should have made it clear that it was going to obliterate
> your entire ruby installation destination directory (typically c:\ruby).
> That happens to be a parent of where gems go, so they are deleted as
> well if you are reusing the same location.

When I ran the OCI, it prompted me to uninstall 1.8.2, and it didn't
cross my mind that I was about to blow away all of my gems, too.

I wonder if I could have said No to that prompt, if it would have simply
overwritten the old files.

Argh.

Thanks anyway.

James Britt

Jeff Cohen wrote:

> When I ran the OCI, it prompted me to uninstall 1.8.2, and it didn't
> cross my mind that I was about to blow away all of my gems, too.
>
> I wonder if I could have said No to that prompt, if it would have simply
> overwritten the old files.

No. Check the list archives for the discussion on the installer
behavior and the reasons behind it.

--
James Britt

"I often work by avoidance."
- Brian Eno

Jeff

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> I'm sorry... I just now (in response to this) changed the installer
> script
> to make this explicit.
>
> Curt

Thanks a lot, Curt!