Re: GC oddness

Eric Hodel

7/7/2006 8:41:00 PM

On Jul 7, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Alex Young wrote:

> Unfortunately, that's not going to work here. What I'm trying to
> do is create a drop-in replacement for a small subset of Array's
> functionality which serialises its contents to disk rather than
> keeping it in memory, for some existing code.

Have you looked at PStore?

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...

3 Answers

Alex Young

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Alex Young wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, that's not going to work here. What I'm trying to do
>> is create a drop-in replacement for a small subset of Array's
>> functionality which serialises its contents to disk rather than
>> keeping it in memory, for some existing code.
>
> Have you looked at PStore?
Yes. The serialisation isn't the problem - it's the tidying up
afterwards. While I'm actually using YAML for the serialisation dump of
the array entries, I could quite easily swap it out for PStore if it
turns out that transactions become vital. I might do that anyway -
PStore's mature, and my code isn't :-)

--
Alex

Joel VanderWerf

Alex Young wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Jul 7, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Alex Young wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, that's not going to work here. What I'm trying to do
>>> is create a drop-in replacement for a small subset of Array's
>>> functionality which serialises its contents to disk rather than
>>> keeping it in memory, for some existing code.
>>
>> Have you looked at PStore?
> Yes. The serialisation isn't the problem - it's the tidying up
> afterwards. While I'm actually using YAML for the serialisation dump of
> the array entries, I could quite easily swap it out for PStore if it
> turns out that transactions become vital. I might do that anyway -
> PStore's mature, and my code isn't :-)

You might find fsdb an interesting alternative to pstore:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/pro...

Alex Young

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Alex Young wrote:
>> Eric Hodel wrote:

>>> Have you looked at PStore?
>> Yes. The serialisation isn't the problem - it's the tidying up
>> afterwards. While I'm actually using YAML for the serialisation dump
>> of the array entries, I could quite easily swap it out for PStore if
>> it turns out that transactions become vital. I might do that anyway -
>> PStore's mature, and my code isn't :-)
>
> You might find fsdb an interesting alternative to pstore:
>
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/pro...

That looks quite intriguing. I'll have to take a look at that.

--
Alex