Rails: http://localhost:3000/say/list_rcv OK on FireFox; nil on IE

RichardOnRails

7/4/2006 6:46:00 PM

Hi All,

I just implemented a very trivial Ruby/Rails display that FireFox
presented perfectly. But IE with the same address produces nothing in
its window. I'm runnning on WinXP-Pro/SP2, ver. 2002, with up-to-date
downloads from Microsoft Update.

I suspect the IE output is inhibited by my security settings. I've got
IE security set to "Local Intranet" with all three sub-options checked.

If security is the problem, any suggestion about the the best (i.e.,
minimal) way to relax security on my system to allow IE to display my
output?

If it's not security, any other ideas?

TIA,
Richard

9 Answers

Robert Klemme

Richard wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just implemented a very trivial Ruby/Rails display that FireFox
> presented perfectly. But IE with the same address produces nothing in
> its window. I'm runnning on WinXP-Pro/SP2, ver. 2002, with up-to-date
> downloads from Microsoft Update.
>
> I suspect the IE output is inhibited by my security settings. I've got
> IE security set to "Local Intranet" with all three sub-options checked.
>

> If security is the problem, any suggestion about the the best (i.e.,
> minimal) way to relax security on my system to allow IE to display my
> output?
>
> If it's not security, any other ideas?
>
> TIA,
> Richard

Check your IE cache settings. The default for IE is to check each page
"automatically" - whatever that means. Try changing it to "each request".

robert

RichardOnRails

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the guidance. I didn't know exactly where that setting was
located, so I searched for it on Google and find a very nice "roadmap"
at http://careers.queensu.ca/common/IEse....

I changed the IE setting as you recommended, closed that IE instance,
opened a new one, checked that the new setting was in effect, started
the WEBrick sever and pointed IE at the appropriate address. Still no
response from IE. I then checked a tab in FireFox for the same
address. FF responded appropriately. Ughhhh.

Any other ideas, by any chance?

Best wishes,
Richard

Robert Klemme wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I just implemented a very trivial Ruby/Rails display that FireFox
> > presented perfectly. But IE with the same address produces nothing in
> > its window. I'm runnning on WinXP-Pro/SP2, ver. 2002, with up-to-date
> > downloads from Microsoft Update.
> >
> > I suspect the IE output is inhibited by my security settings. I've got
> > IE security set to "Local Intranet" with all three sub-options checked.
> >

> > If security is the problem, any suggestion about the the best (i.e.,
> > minimal) way to relax security on my system to allow IE to display my
> > output?
> >
> > If it's not security, any other ideas?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Richard
> >

> Check your IE cache settings. The default for IE is to check each page
> "automatically" - whatever that means. Try changing it to "each request".
>
> robert

Robert Klemme

Richard wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for the guidance. I didn't know exactly where that setting was
> located, so I searched for it on Google and find a very nice "roadmap"
> at http://careers.queensu.ca/common/IEse....
>
> I changed the IE setting as you recommended, closed that IE instance,
> opened a new one, checked that the new setting was in effect, started
> the WEBrick sever and pointed IE at the appropriate address. Still no
> response from IE. I then checked a tab in FireFox for the same
> address. FF responded appropriately. Ughhhh.
>
> Any other ideas, by any chance?

Proxy settings?

robert

RichardOnRails

Robert Klemme wrote:

> Proxy settings?
>
> robert

Proxy Settings offers I clue, perhaps:

Foxpro: http://localhost:3000/say/list_rcv => AR List (bold, H1, and
centered)
IE: http://localhost:3000/say/list_rcv => Zilch, nothing, nada

(After adding proxy settings of Address=127.0.0.1, Port=3000)
IE: http://localhost:3000/say/list_rcv => Zilch, nothing, nada
IE: http://say/list_rcv => Routing Error
Recognition failed for "list_rcv"

That looks suspiciously like an error message from Rails. That inspired
me to add "app/":
IE: http://app/say/list_rcv => Zilch, nothing, nada

I should mention that I have the WEBrick server running in a separate
Command window,
and that localhost is defined as 127.0.0.1 in
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

Does that suggest any other action I might take to resolve this?

Thanks very much for your past help.

Regards,
Richard

Robert Klemme

Richard wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>
>> Proxy settings?
>>
>> robert
>
> Proxy Settings offers I clue, perhaps:
>
> Foxpro: http://localhost:3000/say/list_rcv => AR List (bold, H1, and
> centered)
> IE: http://localhost:3000/say/list_rcv => Zilch, nothing, nada
>
> (After adding proxy settings of Address=127.0.0.1, Port=3000)

Is your rails app running on port 3000? I was rather suggesting to
*remove* proxy settings or at least add an exception rule for localhost.

> IE: http://localhost:3000/say/list_rcv => Zilch, nothing, nada
> IE: http://say/list_rcv => Routing Error
> Recognition failed for "list_rcv"
>
> That looks suspiciously like an error message from Rails. That inspired
> me to add "app/":
> IE: http://app/say/list_rcv => Zilch, nothing, nada
>
> I should mention that I have the WEBrick server running in a separate
> Command window,
> and that localhost is defined as 127.0.0.1 in
> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.
>
> Does that suggest any other action I might take to resolve this?

Not sure ATM.

robert

RichardOnRails

Robert Klemme wrote:
> Not sure ATM.

Thanks for your additional response.

I assume "ATM" has nothing to do with banking machines, but is instead
an abbreviation for "at the moment." :-) And I can't fault you for
that! :-)

But there may be light at the end of the tunnel: I decided to retrace
my steps in building this Rails app. When I was ready to run the first
test, it ran beautifully in FireFox, as before.

I then fired up IE. Lo and behold, even though IE's address bar was
set to my home page, the client area was populated with introductory
Rails stuff: "Welcome aboard. You're riding the Rails!"

I went to check the Proxy settings, but the button to access them was
grayed out. I believe I had set them to 127.0.0.1 and 3000, which you
indicated was a misapprehension of your suggestion.

When I piped in the address http://localhost:3000/say/list_pmts to IE,
the client area went blank. It failed to produce the heading "Payments
List" that FireFox displayed.

Does this give you any other ideas? One question comes to mind: how
can I clear the Proxy settings if the Settings button in Internet
Options | Connections is grayed out?

Again, thanks in advance for any further ideas you may offer.

Best wishes,
Richard

Robert Klemme

Richard wrote:
> But there may be light at the end of the tunnel: I decided to retrace
> my steps in building this Rails app. When I was ready to run the first
> test, it ran beautifully in FireFox, as before.

Ultimately the solution might be to just go on using FF for development
and test IE on another machine. This doesn't work of course if you need
to use specific features of IE.

> When I piped in the address http://localhost:3000/say/list_pmts to IE,
> the client area went blank. It failed to produce the heading "Payments
> List" that FireFox displayed.

Dunno whether I suggested that before: did you check cache settings?
IE's default doesn't work properly with some web pages. I'd change it
to "check on every access".

> Does this give you any other ideas? One question comes to mind: how
> can I clear the Proxy settings if the Settings button in Internet
> Options | Connections is grayed out?

There may be a company or local policy in place which prohibits changing
these settings. Although it would be stupid to have a general policy
that includes localhost instead of excluding it.

Kind regards

robert

Sean O'Halpin

On 7/10/06, Richard <RichardDummyMailbox58407@uscomputergurus.com> wrote:

> Robert Klemme wrote:
> > Not sure ATM.
>
> Thanks for your additional response.
>
> I assume "ATM" has nothing to do with banking machines, but is instead
> an abbreviation for "at the moment." :-) And I can't fault you for
> that! :-)
>
> But there may be light at the end of the tunnel: I decided to retrace
> my steps in building this Rails app. When I was ready to run the first
> test, it ran beautifully in FireFox, as before.
>
> I then fired up IE. Lo and behold, even though IE's address bar was
> set to my home page, the client area was populated with introductory
> Rails stuff: "Welcome aboard. You're riding the Rails!"
>
> I went to check the Proxy settings, but the button to access them was
> grayed out. I believe I had set them to 127.0.0.1 and 3000, which you
> indicated was a misapprehension of your suggestion.
>
> When I piped in the address http://localhost:3000/say/list_pmts to IE,
> the client area went blank. It failed to produce the heading "Payments
> List" that FireFox displayed.
>
> Does this give you any other ideas? One question comes to mind: how
> can I clear the Proxy settings if the Settings button in Internet
> Options | Connections is grayed out?
>
> Again, thanks in advance for any further ideas you may offer.
>
> Best wishes,
> Richard

Hi Richard - did you see my earlier message? We had problems with IE 6
on XP SP2 when we had underscores in the urls. When we removed them,
the problem disappeared.

Regards,
Sean

RichardOnRails

Hi Robert,

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

> Ultimately the solution might be to just go on using FF for development
> and test IE on another machine.

Development in FF has been my intent. But I've got to deploy on a
client machine in a couple of weeks, and introducing one more
technology in addition to Ruby, Rails and MySQL might just break the
proverbial camel's back.

So I want to solve this IE problem. I'm going to post this narrow
question in a thread on an IE newsgroup and see whom else we can induce
to join our party.

> Dunno whether I suggested that before: did you check cache settings?

Yes, you did, and I followed your suggestion.

> > One question comes to mind: how can I clear the Proxy settings if the Settings button in Internet Options | Connections is grayed out?
>
> There may be a company or local policy in place which prohibits changing these settings.

Good thought! Only problem is, I'm running on my own private network
at home.

Again, thank you, Robert, for your kindness and wisdom.

Best wishes,
Richard