using ri with gems

msoulier

6/30/2006 4:02:00 PM

When I install a new gem, it runs rdoc on the source to pull out docs
that are then available via the gem_server on localhost 8808. Being a
long-time Perl programmer, I want perldoc.

If I install say, Text::CSV from the CPAN, I can then run

perldoc Text::CSV

to get the docs from it.

Conversely, I just installed the net-ssh gem.

[msoulier@tigger ~]$ gem list --local | grep ssh
net-ssh (1.0.9)
[msoulier@tigger ~]$ ri net-ssh
Nothing known about net-ssh
[msoulier@tigger ~]$ ri net/ssh
Nothing known about net/ssh
[msoulier@tigger ~]$ ri Net::SSH
Nothing known about Net::SSH

So, what is ri for? Seems to work on built-in classes like Array, but
not gem code.

Thanks,
Mike

20 Answers

minkoo.seo@gmail.com

Hi Mike.

ri seems to be broken in old version (stable release), but it might
be corrected in the latest releaes.

Anyway, here's how to fix ri problem for gem:
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails/2006-January/0...

msoulier wrote:
> When I install a new gem, it runs rdoc on the source to pull out docs
> that are then available via the gem_server on localhost 8808. Being a
> long-time Perl programmer, I want perldoc.
>
> If I install say, Text::CSV from the CPAN, I can then run
>
> perldoc Text::CSV
>
> to get the docs from it.
>
> Conversely, I just installed the net-ssh gem.
>
> [msoulier@tigger ~]$ gem list --local | grep ssh
> net-ssh (1.0.9)
> [msoulier@tigger ~]$ ri net-ssh
> Nothing known about net-ssh
> [msoulier@tigger ~]$ ri net/ssh
> Nothing known about net/ssh
> [msoulier@tigger ~]$ ri Net::SSH
> Nothing known about Net::SSH
>
> So, what is ri for? Seems to work on built-in classes like Array, but
> not gem code.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Austin Ziegler

Minkoo Seo wrote:
> ri seems to be broken in old version (stable release), but it might
> be corrected in the latest releaes.
>
> Anyway, here's how to fix ri problem for gem:
> http://lists.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails/2006-January/0...

Use gemri for now.

It's a new command in the latest RubyGems release, but it gives ri
capabilities to gems.

-austin

msoulier

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> Use gemri for now.
>
> It's a new command in the latest RubyGems release, but it gives ri
> capabilities to gems.

I have the latest release, and I don't see a gemri executable.

Mike

Austin Ziegler

msoulier wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > Use gemri for now.
> >
> > It's a new command in the latest RubyGems release, but it gives ri
> > capabilities to gems.
>
> I have the latest release, and I don't see a gemri executable.

I just did:

gem update --system

Then I was able to do:

gemri

and get results. You must be using RubyGems 0.9.0.

-austin

msoulier

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> I just did:
>
> gem update --system
>
> Then I was able to do:
>
> gemri
>
> and get results. You must be using RubyGems 0.9.0.

Yup, that worked. Mind you...

[msoulier@tigger ~]$ gemri Net::SSH
Nothing known about Net::SSH
[msoulier@tigger ~]$ gemri net-ssh
Nothing known about net-ssh
[msoulier@tigger ~]$ gemri net/ssh
Nothing known about net/ssh

irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'net/ssh'
=> true

So, how do I pull up the docs?

Mike

Austin Ziegler

msoulier wrote:
> Yup, that worked. Mind you...
>
> [msoulier@tigger ~]$ gemri Net::SSH
> Nothing known about Net::SSH
> [msoulier@tigger ~]$ gemri net-ssh
> Nothing known about net-ssh
> [msoulier@tigger ~]$ gemri net/ssh
> Nothing known about net/ssh
>
> irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> require 'net/ssh'
> => true
>
> So, how do I pull up the docs?

If Net::SSH has rdoc disabled, you'll not get docs or ri. If you
installed Net::SSH before upgrading, you'll have to do something to
generate the ri data.

% gem rdoc net-ssh
% gemri Net::SSH

-austin

msoulier

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> If Net::SSH has rdoc disabled, you'll not get docs or ri. If you
> installed Net::SSH before upgrading, you'll have to do something to
> generate the ri data.
>
> % gem rdoc net-ssh
> % gemri Net::SSH

Ok, did that.

-------------------------------------------------------- Class:
Net::SSH
(no description...)

Constants:
----------
EXTERNAL_SERVICES: Hash.new

Instance methods:
-----------------
register_service, start

Wow, not much there. There's a lot more in the html docs provided for
the gem_server. I guess for some reason these are not one and the same?
That's odd.

Mike

GAAslin

"Broc_Ex_Co" <broc@free.fr> a ?crit dans le message de news:
4ce40e3f$0$24164$426a34cc@news.free.fr...
> Le 17/11/2010 14:28, GAAslin a ?crit :
>> Les soldats de l'ONU ont commenc? ? tu? des ha?tiens pour assurer leur
>> protection...
>> Bordel ?ternel...
>> Remercions la France pour avoir utilis? trop de n?grier afin d'abattre
>> le maximum d'arbre en un minimum de temps...
>> r?sultat surpopulation et d?forestation!
>
> La France n'est pour rien dans la d?forestation: (ind?pendance en 1804!)
> voir:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestatio...
>
> Deforestation in Haiti is a severe environmental problem. In 1923, over
> 60% of Haiti's land was forested; by 2006, less than 2% was.[1]

En 1923 40% des terres ha?tienne ?tait d?forester ...
et qui ?crit l'histoire, l'occident ou ses esclaves?

Broc_Ex_Co

Le 17/11/2010 19:31, GAAslin a ?crit :

> "Broc_Ex_Co" <broc@free.fr> a ?crit dans le message de news:
> 4ce40e3f$0$24164$426a34cc@news.free.fr...
>> Le 17/11/2010 14:28, GAAslin a ?crit :
>>> Les soldats de l'ONU ont commenc? ? tu? des ha?tiens pour assurer leur
>>> protection...
>>> Bordel ?ternel...
>>> Remercions la France pour avoir utilis? trop de n?grier afin d'abattre
>>> le maximum d'arbre en un minimum de temps...
>>> r?sultat surpopulation et d?forestation!
>>
>> La France n'est pour rien dans la d?forestation: (ind?pendance en 1804!)
>> voir:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestatio...
>>
>> Deforestation in Haiti is a severe environmental problem. In 1923,
>> over 60% of Haiti's land was forested; by 2006, less than 2% was.[1]
>
> En 1923 40% des terres ha?tienne ?tait d?forester ...
> et qui ?crit l'histoire, l'occident ou ses esclaves?

40% de forets en 1923, 120 ans apr?s la fin de la colonisation, c'est
plus qu'en europe ? la m?me ?poque!

GAAslin

From: "GAAslin" <gaaslin@oricom.ca>
Newsgroups: soc.culture.quebec
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_Anarchie_ha=EFtienne?=
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:41:28 -0500

"Broc_Ex_Co" <broc@free.fr> a ?crit dans le message de news:
4ce42827$0$332$426a74cc@news.free.fr...
> Le 17/11/2010 19:31, GAAslin a ?crit :
>>
>> "Broc_Ex_Co" <broc@free.fr> a ?crit dans le message de news:
>> 4ce40e3f$0$24164$426a34cc@news.free.fr...
>>> Le 17/11/2010 14:28, GAAslin a ?crit :
>>>
>>> La France n'est pour rien dans la d?forestation: (ind?pendance en 1804!)
>>> voir:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestatio...
>>>
>>> Deforestation in Haiti is a severe environmental problem. In 1923,
>>> over 60% of Haiti's land was forested; by 2006, less than 2% was.[1]
>>
>> En 1923 40% des terres ha?tienne ?tait d?forester ...
>> et qui ?crit l'histoire, l'occident ou ses esclaves?
>>

> 40% de forets en 1923, 120 ans apr?s la fin de la colonisation, c'est plus
> qu'en europe ? la m?me ?poque!

quel farceur vous faites!

Ha?ti fut mis au banc des nations parce qu'elle croyait en son
ind?pendance... elle paie encore le prix de notre cruaut?!