Excel Range Replace

dkmd_nielsen

6/27/2006 11:53:00 AM

I'm not able to figure out the implementation of Excel's Range Replace
function through Ruby/win32ole. I thought the snippent at the end
would be correct correct, but I keep getting Ole errors. Obviously,
I'm doing a poor job at interpretting the available information out
there (Dave Thomas, wiki.RubyGarden, etc.) I'm just not getting it.

While I would appreciate the solution to my problem, I would really
appreciate an explanation of when and how to use pointers-to-objects
when working with win32ole.

Much appreciated.
dvn

require 'win32ole'
class ExcelConst
end
wb = WIN32OLE.connect("excel.application")
WIN32OLE.const_load(wb, ExcelConst)
ws = wb.ActiveSheet
ws.Range("C:D").Replace('What'=>'nail',
'Replacement'=>'hammer',
'LookAt'=>ExcelConst::xlPart,
'SearchOrder'=>ExcelConst::xlByRows,
'MatchCase'=>ExcelConst::False,
'SearchFormat'=>ExcelConst::False,
'ReplaceFormat'=>ExcelConst::False
)

12 Answers

greg.rb

try this:

require 'win32ole'
wb = WIN32OLE.connect("excel.application")
wb.Visible=1 #show the sheet
ws = wb.ActiveSheet
ws.Range("C:D").Replace('nail','hammer')

Dug

"dsharavi" <dsharavii@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 5, 4:55 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
> "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k...
>
> > Deborah
>
> Jon Stewart invited Yusuf Islam to speak at his Washington DC
> gig. You remember Yusuf, the guy who said Salman Rushdie must die for
> insulting the prophet on national television.

I'd love to have seen that one.

Deborah

*************************
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. Jon Stewart didn't have
any problems w/what Yusuf Islam said. He wasn't satirizing or parodying
Yusuf (like Jon does w/say Glenn Beck) Yusuf was his honored guest and
speaker.

Alex Seredin

"dsharavi" <dsharavii@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 5, 4:55 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
> "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k...
>
> > Deborah
>
> Jon Stewart invited Yusuf Islam to speak at his Washington DC
> gig. You remember Yusuf, the guy who said Salman Rushdie must die for
> insulting the prophet on national television.

I'd love to have seen that one.

Deborah

****

John licked Yusuf's ass about the ground Zero mosque. Made fun of the 'Evil
Christians' on the news cuts. Typical trashy Stewart, goy-hating crap!

You would have loved it!

dsharavi

On Jan 5, 8:45 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
> "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 5, 4:55 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k...
>
> > > Deborah
>
> > Jon Stewart invited Yusuf Islam to speak at his Washington DC
> > gig. You remember Yusuf, the guy who said Salman Rushdie must die for
> > insulting the prophet on national television.
>
> I'd love to have seen that one.
>
> Deborah
>
> *************************
> I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. Jon Stewart didn't have
> any problems w/what Yusuf Islam said. He wasn't satirizing or parodying
> Yusuf (like Jon does w/say Glenn Beck) Yusuf was his honored guest and
> speaker.

I had to look that one up. It was at the Stewart/Colbert Rally to
Restore Sanity And/Or Fear, and it was a spoof. Yusef wasn't an
honored guest and speaker; he was one of many, and Colbert and Stewart
staged a fight during his singing of "Peace Train".

The former Cat Stevens has never done anything, to my knowledge, that
could be construed as support for terrorists, jihadists, or Muslim
fundies.

Deborah

On Jan 5, 8:45 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
> "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 5, 4:55 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k...
>
> > > Deborah
>
> > Jon Stewart invited Yusuf Islam to speak at his Washington DC
> > gig. You remember Yusuf, the guy who said Salman Rushdie must die for
> > insulting the prophet on national television.
>
> I'd love to have seen that one.
>
> Deborah
>
> *************************
> I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. Jon Stewart didn't have
> any problems w/what Yusuf Islam said. He wasn't satirizing or parodying
> Yusuf (like Jon does w/say Glenn Beck) Yusuf was his honored guest and
> speaker.

I had to look that one up. It was at the Stewart/Colbert Rally to
Restore Sanity And/Or Fear, and it was a spoof. Yusef wasn't an
honored guest and speaker; he was one of many, and Colbert and Stewart
staged a fight during his singing of "Peace Train".

The former Cat Stevens has never done anything, to my knowledge, that
could be construed as support for terrorists, jihadists, or Muslim
fundies.

Deborah

**********************
Um, Yusuf Islam publicly stated that Salman Rushdie should
be killed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_comments_about_Salm...
Kingston University
On February 21, 1989, Yusuf Islam addressed students at Kingston University
in London about his conversion to Islam and was asked about the controversy
in the Muslim world and the fatwa calling for Salman Rushdie's execution. He
replied, "He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear - if someone defames
the prophet, then he must die." [4]

Newspapers quickly denounced what was seen as Yusuf Islam's support for the
killing of Rushdie and the next day Yusuf released a statement saying that
he was not personally encouraging anybody to be a vigilante,[2] and that he
was only stating that blasphemy is a capital offense according to the
Qur'an.

Your heroic islamobot has also refused to condemn or praise Hamas (the usual
slimey, slippery practice of

Al Taqiyya):

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/23893_Cat_Stevens_Refuses_to_Deno...

There's also evidence your slimey, slippery islamobot supported Hamas
financially:

http://www.militantislammonitor.org/arti...

dsharavi

On Jan 5, 10:45 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
> "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 5, 8:45 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
>

> > "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Jan 5, 4:55 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Jon Stewart invited Yusuf Islam to speak at his Washington DC
> > > gig. You remember Yusuf, the guy who said Salman Rushdie must die for
> > > insulting the prophet on national television.
>
> > I'd love to have seen that one.
>
> > Deborah
>
> > *************************
> > I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. Jon Stewart didn't have
> > any problems w/what Yusuf Islam said. He wasn't satirizing or parodying
> > Yusuf (like Jon does w/say Glenn Beck) Yusuf was his honored guest and
> > speaker.
>
> I had to look that one up. It was at the Stewart/Colbert Rally to
> Restore Sanity And/Or Fear, and it was a spoof. Yusef wasn't an
> honored guest and speaker; he was one of many, and Colbert and Stewart
> staged a fight during his singing of "Peace Train".
>
> The former Cat Stevens has never done anything, to my knowledge, that
> could be construed as support for terrorists, jihadists, or Muslim
> fundies.
>
> Deborah
>
> **********************
> Um, Yusuf Islam publicly stated that Salman Rushdie should
> be killed:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_comments_about_......
> Kingston University
> On February 21, 1989, Yusuf Islam addressed students at Kingston University
> in London about his conversion to Islam and was asked about the controversy
> in the Muslim world and the fatwa calling for Salman Rushdie's execution. He
> replied, "He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear - if someone defames
> the prophet, then he must die." [4]
>
> Newspapers quickly denounced what was seen as Yusuf Islam's support for the
> killing of Rushdie and the next day Yusuf released a statement saying that
> he was not personally encouraging anybody to be a vigilante,[2] and that he
> was only stating that blasphemy is a capital offense according to the
> Qur'an.
>
> Your heroic islamobot has also refused to condemn or praise Hamas (the usual
> slimey, slippery practice of
>
> Al Taqiyya):
>
> http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/23893_Cat_Stevens_R......
>
> There's also evidence your slimey, slippery islamobot supported Hamas
> financially:
>
> http://www.militantislammonitor.org/arti...

Or he didn't want to trigger a series of Hamas attempts on his life
and his family's life. That seems more likely to me. Muslims have been
murdered for refusing to support terrorist groups.

Deborah

DoD

On Jan 6, 12:49 am, dsharavi <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 10:45 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
>

> > "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Jan 5, 8:45 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I'd love to have seen that one.
>
> > > Deborah
>
> > > *************************
> > > I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. Jon Stewart didn't have
> > > any problems w/what Yusuf Islam said. He wasn't satirizing or parodying
> > > Yusuf (like Jon does w/say Glenn Beck) Yusuf was his honored guest and
> > > speaker.
>
> > I had to look that one up. It was at the Stewart/Colbert Rally to
> > Restore Sanity And/Or Fear, and it was a spoof. Yusef wasn't an
> > honored guest and speaker; he was one of many, and Colbert and Stewart
> > staged a fight during his singing of "Peace Train".
>
> > The former Cat Stevens has never done anything, to my knowledge, that
> > could be construed as support for terrorists, jihadists, or Muslim
> > fundies.
>
> > Deborah
>
> > **********************
> > Um, Yusuf Islam publicly stated that Salman Rushdie should
> > be killed:
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_comments_about_......
> > Kingston University
> > On February 21, 1989, Yusuf Islam addressed students at Kingston University
> > in London about his conversion to Islam and was asked about the controversy
> > in the Muslim world and the fatwa calling for Salman Rushdie's execution. He
> > replied, "He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear - if someone defames
> > the prophet, then he must die." [4]
>
> > Newspapers quickly denounced what was seen as Yusuf Islam's support for the
> > killing of Rushdie and the next day Yusuf released a statement saying that
> > he was not personally encouraging anybody to be a vigilante,[2] and that he
> > was only stating that blasphemy is a capital offense according to the
> > Qur'an.
>
> > Your heroic islamobot has also refused to condemn or praise Hamas (the usual
> > slimey, slippery practice of
>
> > Al Taqiyya):
>
> >http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/23893_Cat_Stevens_R......
>
> > There's also evidence your slimey, slippery islamobot supported Hamas
> > financially:
>
> >http://www.militantislammonitor.org/arti...
>
> Or he didn't want to trigger a series of Hamas attempts on his life
> and his family's life. That seems more likely to me. Muslims have been
> murdered for refusing to support terrorist groups.

He did say that Rushdie should be killed... That is bad enough,
IMO...

dsharavi

On Jan 5, 10:52 pm, DoD <danskisan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 12:49 am, dsharavi <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 5, 10:45 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I had to look that one up. It was at the Stewart/Colbert Rally to
> > > Restore Sanity And/Or Fear, and it was a spoof. Yusef wasn't an
> > > honored guest and speaker; he was one of many, and Colbert and Stewart
> > > staged a fight during his singing of "Peace Train".
>
> > > The former Cat Stevens has never done anything, to my knowledge, that
> > > could be construed as support for terrorists, jihadists, or Muslim
> > > fundies.
>
> > > Deborah
>
> > > **********************
> > > Um, Yusuf Islam publicly stated that Salman Rushdie should
> > > be killed:
>
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_comments_about_.......
> > > Kingston University
> > > On February 21, 1989, Yusuf Islam addressed students at Kingston University
> > > in London about his conversion to Islam and was asked about the controversy
> > > in the Muslim world and the fatwa calling for Salman Rushdie's execution. He
> > > replied, "He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear - if someone defames
> > > the prophet, then he must die." [4]
>
> > > Newspapers quickly denounced what was seen as Yusuf Islam's support for the
> > > killing of Rushdie and the next day Yusuf released a statement saying that
> > > he was not personally encouraging anybody to be a vigilante,[2] and that he
> > > was only stating that blasphemy is a capital offense according to the
> > > Qur'an.
>
> > > Your heroic islamobot has also refused to condemn or praise Hamas (the usual
> > > slimey, slippery practice of
>
> > > Al Taqiyya):
>
> > >http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/23893_Cat_Stevens_R.......
>
> > > There's also evidence your slimey, slippery islamobot supported Hamas
> > > financially:
>
> > >http://www.militantislammonitor.org/arti...
>
> > Or he didn't want to trigger a series of Hamas attempts on his life
> > and his family's life. That seems more likely to me. Muslims have been
> > murdered for refusing to support terrorist groups.
>
> He did say that Rushdie should be killed... That is bad enough,
> IMO...

Actually, he didn't. The comments were taken out of context - same as
Islamofascists routinely do to Guess Who.

On Jan 5, 10:52 pm, DoD <danskisan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 12:49 am, dsharavi <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 5, 10:45 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I had to look that one up. It was at the Stewart/Colbert Rally to
> > > Restore Sanity And/Or Fear, and it was a spoof. Yusef wasn't an
> > > honored guest and speaker; he was one of many, and Colbert and Stewart
> > > staged a fight during his singing of "Peace Train".
>
> > > The former Cat Stevens has never done anything, to my knowledge, that
> > > could be construed as support for terrorists, jihadists, or Muslim
> > > fundies.
>
> > > Deborah
>
> > > **********************
> > > Um, Yusuf Islam publicly stated that Salman Rushdie should
> > > be killed:
>
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_comments_about_......
> > > Kingston University
> > > On February 21, 1989, Yusuf Islam addressed students at Kingston
> > > University
> > > in London about his conversion to Islam and was asked about the
> > > controversy
> > > in the Muslim world and the fatwa calling for Salman Rushdie's
> > > execution. He
> > > replied, "He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear - if someone
> > > defames
> > > the prophet, then he must die." [4]
>
> > > Newspapers quickly denounced what was seen as Yusuf Islam's support
> > > for the
> > > killing of Rushdie and the next day Yusuf released a statement saying
> > > that
> > > he was not personally encouraging anybody to be a vigilante,[2] and
> > > that he
> > > was only stating that blasphemy is a capital offense according to the
> > > Qur'an.
>
> > > Your heroic islamobot has also refused to condemn or praise Hamas (the
> > > usual
> > > slimey, slippery practice of
>
> > > Al Taqiyya):
>
> > >http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/23893_Cat_Stevens_R......
>
> > > There's also evidence your slimey, slippery islamobot supported Hamas
> > > financially:
>
> > >http://www.militantislammonitor.org/arti...
>
> > Or he didn't want to trigger a series of Hamas attempts on his life
> > and his family's life. That seems more likely to me. Muslims have been
> > murdered for refusing to support terrorist groups.
>
> He did say that Rushdie should be killed... That is bad enough,
> IMO...

Actually, he didn't. The comments were taken out of context - same as
Islamofascists routinely do to Guess Who.

Deborah

******************
LOL. Ridiculous. What "context" would that be?

dsharavi

On Jan 6, 12:02 pm, "Dug" <andxor...@gggmail.com> wrote:
> "dsharavi" <dshara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 5, 10:52 pm, DoD <danskisan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Or he didn't want to trigger a series of Hamas attempts on his life
> > > and his family's life. That seems more likely to me. Muslims have been
> > > murdered for refusing to support terrorist groups.
>
> > He did say that Rushdie should be killed... That is bad enough,
> > IMO...
>
> Actually, he didn't. The comments were taken out of context - same as
> Islamofascists routinely do to Guess Who.
>
> Deborah

> LOL. Ridiculous. What "context" would that be?

The context that not every one of the almost one billion Muslims on
the planet are terrorists. Supporting terrorist would have been -- and
still would be -- an unbelievably radical change for the ole Cat.

Deborah