Which OS do you use with Ruby

Sergey Gotsulyak

6/27/2006 6:34:00 AM

Hello,

I'm from Russia, and Windows is most spreaded here.
But as I can see, in the U.S. (and Europe maybe) Mac OS are very
popular within Ruby developers. Am I right?

Which platform do you prefer to work with Ruby? OS and IDE, I mean. We
just now starting new web application on Ruby on Rails, so it very
interesting for us - which tools are "right" for this task :-)

P.S: We have strong experience in PHP, but this language is not
suitable for creative work :-)

--
Best regards,
Sergey Gotsulyak

23 Answers

Robert Klemme

Sergey Gotsulyak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm from Russia, and Windows is most spreaded here.
> But as I can see, in the U.S. (and Europe maybe) Mac OS are very
> popular within Ruby developers. Am I right?
>
> Which platform do you prefer to work with Ruby? OS and IDE, I mean. We
> just now starting new web application on Ruby on Rails, so it very
> interesting for us - which tools are "right" for this task :-)

I use Ruby on cygwin with Textpad and sometimes on Linux with vi(m).

> P.S: We have strong experience in PHP, but this language is not
> suitable for creative work :-)

:-))

Kind regards

robert

Dumaiu

Vim and GNU/Linux, mostly Gentoo. Ruby IDEs are still in the nascent
stage.

-Jonathan

Miguel Moquillon

GNU/Linux (Debian testing and (k)Ubuntu) and vim

Miguel

Sergey Gotsulyak

> I use Ruby on cygwin with Textpad and sometimes on Linux with vi(m).

Hm, why you need cygwin?

I installed One Click Installer for Windows and it has all Ruby
components (interpreter, Gems and so one) that are native for Windows
environment.

--
Best regards,
Sergey Gotsulyak

Sergey Gotsulyak

> Vim and GNU/Linux, mostly Gentoo. Ruby IDEs are still in the nascent
> stage.

So I see that many folks use Ruby on Linux. And I think that is
because of scripting nature of Ruby - do you use it for automatization
of your work, as many of Unix guru's use Perl, shell scripts, etc?

I tried to find well-known applications of "real world" such as any
kind of popular freeware or shareware and my attempts fails.

As I understand, Ruby novadays has two main use cases:

1. Scripting for maintanance routine day job, especcialy for unix
administrators

2. Web-applications, primarily written with Rails framework

So because this we have two camps now: administrators of Unix, which
use mainly Linux, and web-developers on Rails, which use Mac OS.

Am I wrong with this vision? It's only IMO of newbie, which has
experience only with shareware development on Windows :-)

--
Best regards,
Sergey Gotsulyak

pere.noel

Sergey Gotsulyak <sergo@angelicsoftware.com> wrote:

> But as I can see, in the U.S. (and Europe maybe) Mac OS are very
> popular within Ruby developers. Am I right?

MacOS X (latest) i'm using ruby to develop application with RubyCocoa
framework and RubyAeosa for applescripting.
--
une bévue

Erik Veenstra

> Which platform do you prefer to work with Ruby?

Linux & VIM, with an home built Ruby.

OS/X & VIM would do, too.

Winodws & <whatever> is not an option...

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Jonathan Heinen

Windows XP and RadRails!

I like RadRails because it's Eclipse and I'm used to Eclipse like I'm
coming from the good java programming world =)
But I think there are a lot of things qhich should be better in RadRails!

Jonathan

Sergey Gotsulyak

> Windows XP and RadRails!

I've tried RadRails, but after splash screen it shows error dialog.
What I see in log-file:

!SESSION Mon Jun 26 16:23:11 YEKST 2006 ----------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 2006-06-26 16:23:11.821
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:178)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

--
Best regards,
Sergey Gotsulyak

Jonathan Heinen

Oh!
No idea! That's rare! I think I can't help you! Maybe someone else here?

Did you install Suns Java JDK?