n00b Q: Is Ruby cross platform?

Danno

6/26/2006 5:08:00 PM

Say I create a GUI, can I transport that app from Windows to Linux to
OSX without extra work?

4 Answers

Tim Hoolihan

Yup, put the following in a file and run it on several platforms that
have ruby and ruby-tk installed...

require 'tk'
w = TkRoot.new(){title "Hello"}
Tk.mainloop()

Danno wrote:
> Say I create a GUI, can I transport that app from Windows to Linux to
> OSX without extra work?

mathew

Danno wrote:
> Say I create a GUI, can I transport that app from Windows to Linux to
> OSX without extra work?

Depends what you use to create the GUI.

RubyCocoa provides a native Mac interface, but isn't portable to
anything else.

RubyQt provides a KDE-like interface on Linux, and is portable to Mac
and Windows as long as you don't mind releasing source or paying money.

wxRuby is also portable and provides native controls.

FXRuby is portable to Linux and Windows, and Mac users can run it too
but only if they install and use X11.

Ruby with Tk will be portable, but I don't know whether Ruby on OS X
uses Aqua Tk or something nastier.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/...
My parents went to the lost kingdom of Hyrule

richard.j.dale@gmail.com

mathew wrote:
> RubyQt provides a KDE-like interface on Linux, and is portable to Mac
> and Windows as long as you don't mind releasing source or paying money.
A small correction: Qt4 has a GPL'd version for all platforms including
Windows, and so you don't have to pay anything to distribute QtRuby
apps that will run on Windows.

mathew

richard.j.dale@gmail.com wrote:
> mathew wrote:
>> RubyQt provides a KDE-like interface on Linux, and is portable to Mac
>> and Windows as long as you don't mind releasing source or paying money.
>
> A small correction: Qt4 has a GPL'd version for all platforms including
> Windows, and so you don't have to pay anything to distribute QtRuby
> apps that will run on Windows.

Umm, that's what I said. It's portable to all three platforms, but you
need to either release source for everything (in order to be eligible to
use the GPL version), or pay money (to use the non-GPL version and be
able to withhold source).

Of course, if we're talking about Ruby applications, you're probably
releasing source whether you like it or not :-)

mathew