About Ruby

carkaci

6/26/2006 1:48:00 PM

We are new to ruby. Currently, we use C# on .Net platform. Thus, our
team is adjusted to drag and drop programming environment. They said me
"Oooh, even a user interface is to hard for us. There is no html
designer in ruby. Even a table, image,or a button can be hardcoded by a
programmer".

We want to apply eXtreme Programming especially test driven
development.

Any ideas, suggestions are welcome. (such as html designer, how to
write tests in ruby etc.)

3 Answers

Kenosis

You should purchase a copy of the 2nd edition of the pick axe book
(Programming Ruby by Dave Thoman, et al.) It'll answer most all of
your questions. As for unit testing & TDD Ruby module Test::Unit
should do the trick (search this group for additional info). As for
GUI development, Ruby has elegant support for Fox, GTK, Tk, etc. As
for IDEs, there are several all pretty good: Komodo, ArachnoRuby,
Eclipse, a plug-in for Visual Studio and rumors about a plug-in for
Intelli-J. Again, check out the book and perhaps Hal Fulton's book
"The Ruby Way" and you should be good to go Ruby.

Ken

carkaci@gmail.com wrote:
> We are new to ruby. Currently, we use C# on .Net platform. Thus, our
> team is adjusted to drag and drop programming environment. They said me
> "Oooh, even a user interface is to hard for us. There is no html
> designer in ruby. Even a table, image,or a button can be hardcoded by a
> programmer".
>
> We want to apply eXtreme Programming especially test driven
> development.
>
> Any ideas, suggestions are welcome. (such as html designer, how to
> write tests in ruby etc.)

balcer

Kenosis napisaÅ?(a):
> Intelli-J. Again, check out the book and perhaps Hal Fulton's book
> "The Ruby Way" and you should be good to go Ruby.
Sixth and Red River Software is not going to do this.
Anyway I just cant imagine Intellij + Ruby. If well written it would be
KILLER:)
Jacek

minkoo.seo@gmail.com

Hi.

AFAIK, Rails doesn't have such a beautiful IDE for UI components. Rails
is somewhat different story from MS which goes like this: console and
the pleasure of writing simple commands.

Heavy rails users might tell you different story from mine. Why don't
you ask rails questions on rails mailing list?
http://www.ruby-... might helpful for that purpose.

Sincerely,
Minkoo Seo