Title entry function problem

chrisdude911

6/24/2006 12:15:00 PM

Hey,
I am having a proble with a project that i am working on. I have
created a messageboard using ruby on rails. There are 4 fields:
id
Title - the one with the problem
created_at
message

There is a table called message which those fields are stored in.
When i type http://localhost:3000/messageboard/list into my address bar
i get the page but, in the title space i don't get the title that i
put, i get / messageboard/show/1.
When i check the record in the mysql database it says under the
title field <NULL>.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Chris

14 Answers

senthil.nayagam@gmail.com

Chris
are you using webrick?

I have heard and seen practically few keywords are no-no on a webrick
server.

maybe you can try it with mongrel, if you dont want to change any
naming.

or try changing the offending fieldname and repeat your procedure

regards
A.Senthil Nayagam
http://senthiln...

chrisdude911 wrote:
> Hey,
> I am having a proble with a project that i am working on. I have
> created a messageboard using ruby on rails. There are 4 fields:
> id
> Title - the one with the problem
> created_at
> message
>
> There is a table called message which those fields are stored in.
> When i type http://localhost:3000/messageboard/list into my address bar
> i get the page but, in the title space i don't get the title that i
> put, i get / messageboard/show/1.
> When i check the record in the mysql database it says under the
> title field <NULL>.
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks
> Chris

chrisdude911

Thanks
but that doesn't work, because it wants me to update to ruby 1.8.4 and
that doesn't work well on my machine.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Chris
Senthilnayagam wrote:

> Chris
> are you using webrick?
>
> I have heard and seen practically few keywords are no-no on a webrick
> server.
>
> maybe you can try it with mongrel, if you dont want to change any
> naming.
>
> or try changing the offending fieldname and repeat your procedure
>

> regards
> A.Senthil Nayagam
> http://senthiln...
>

> chrisdude911 wrote:
> > Hey,
> > I am having a proble with a project that i am working on. I have
> > created a messageboard using ruby on rails. There are 4 fields:
> > id
> > Title - the one with the problem
> > created_at
> > message
> >
> > There is a table called message which those fields are stored in.
> > When i type http://localhost:3000/messageboard/list into my address bar
> > i get the page but, in the title space i don't get the title that i
> > put, i get / messageboard/show/1.
> > When i check the record in the mysql database it says under the
> > title field <NULL>.
> > Can anyone help?
> > Thanks
> > Chris

senthil.nayagam@gmail.com

1.8.3 and lower are not recommended for rails 1.0+

dude you need to upgrade

if you can tell us about your 1.8.4 problem, we would try to solve that

or if you can wait we will be having 1.8.5 by august 15th

regards
A.Senthil Nayagam
http://senthiln...

chrisdude911 wrote:
> Thanks
> but that doesn't work, because it wants me to update to ruby 1.8.4 and
> that doesn't work well on my machine.
> Any other suggestions?
> Thanks
> Chris
> Senthilnayagam wrote:
>
> > Chris
> > are you using webrick?
> >
> > I have heard and seen practically few keywords are no-no on a webrick
> > server.
> >
> > maybe you can try it with mongrel, if you dont want to change any
> > naming.
> >
> > or try changing the offending fieldname and repeat your procedure
> >

> > regards
> > A.Senthil Nayagam
> > http://senthiln...
> >

> > chrisdude911 wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > > I am having a proble with a project that i am working on. I have
> > > created a messageboard using ruby on rails. There are 4 fields:
> > > id
> > > Title - the one with the problem
> > > created_at
> > > message
> > >
> > > There is a table called message which those fields are stored in.
> > > When i type http://localhost:3000/messageboard/list into my address bar
> > > i get the page but, in the title space i don't get the title that i
> > > put, i get / messageboard/show/1.
> > > When i check the record in the mysql database it says under the
> > > title field <NULL>.
> > > Can anyone help?
> > > Thanks
> > > Chris

chrisdude911

i've download 1.8.4 off http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
and clicked on ruby-1.8.4.tar.gz. Powerarchiver opened and a heck of a
lot of files were there. How do i install it?
Thanks
Chris
Senthilnayagam wrote:

> 1.8.3 and lower are not recommended for rails 1.0+
>
> dude you need to upgrade
>
> if you can tell us about your 1.8.4 problem, we would try to solve that
>
> or if you can wait we will be having 1.8.5 by august 15th
>

> regards
> A.Senthil Nayagam
> http://senthiln...
>

> chrisdude911 wrote:
> > Thanks
> > but that doesn't work, because it wants me to update to ruby 1.8.4 and
> > that doesn't work well on my machine.
> > Any other suggestions?
> > Thanks
> > Chris
> > Senthilnayagam wrote:
> >
> > > Chris
> > > are you using webrick?
> > >
> > > I have heard and seen practically few keywords are no-no on a webrick
> > > server.
> > >
> > > maybe you can try it with mongrel, if you dont want to change any
> > > naming.
> > >
> > > or try changing the offending fieldname and repeat your procedure
> > >

> > > regards
> > > A.Senthil Nayagam
> > > http://senthiln...

senthil.nayagam@gmail.com

Hi Chris,

the version you have downloaded is for advanced user who want to
compile their own version of Ruby,

the code provided is in C

please find "Readme" file which describes in details how to comile the
code

if you are using window, I believe you are as Powerarchiver comes only
for windows

try

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby...

it takes less than a minute to install

it does not have rails inbuilt, so after installing run from console

gem install rails

cheers

regards
A.Senthil Nayagam
http://senthiln...

chrisdude911 wrote:
> i've download 1.8.4 off http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
> and clicked on ruby-1.8.4.tar.gz. Powerarchiver opened and a heck of a
> lot of files were there. How do i install it?
> Thanks
> Chris
> Senthilnayagam wrote:
>
> > 1.8.3 and lower are not recommended for rails 1.0+
> >
> > dude you need to upgrade
> >
> > if you can tell us about your 1.8.4 problem, we would try to solve that
> >
> > or if you can wait we will be having 1.8.5 by august 15th
> >

> > regards
> > A.Senthil Nayagam
> > http://senthiln...
> >

> > chrisdude911 wrote:
> > > Thanks
> > > but that doesn't work, because it wants me to update to ruby 1.8.4 and
> > > that doesn't work well on my machine.
> > > Any other suggestions?
> > > Thanks
> > > Chris

chrisdude911

okey dokey,
that worked,
i installed mongrel on mswin32,
is that ok?
Also how do i start the server?
Thanks
Chris
Senthilnayagam wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> the version you have downloaded is for advanced user who want to
> compile their own version of Ruby,
>
> the code provided is in C
>
> please find "Readme" file which describes in details how to comile the
> code
>

> if you are using window, I believe you are as Powerarchiver comes only
> for windows
>
> try
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby...
>
> it takes less than a minute to install
>
> it does not have rails inbuilt, so after installing run from console
>
> gem install rails
>

> cheers
>

> regards
> A.Senthil Nayagam
> http://senthiln...
>

> chrisdude911 wrote:
> > i've download 1.8.4 off http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
> > and clicked on ruby-1.8.4.tar.gz. Powerarchiver opened and a heck of a
> > lot of files were there. How do i install it?
> > Thanks
> > Chris
> > Senthilnayagam wrote:
> >
> > > 1.8.3 and lower are not recommended for rails 1.0+
> > >
> > > dude you need to upgrade
> > >
> > > if you can tell us about your 1.8.4 problem, we would try to solve that
> > >
> > > or if you can wait we will be having 1.8.5 by august 15th
> > >

> > > regards
> > > A.Senthil Nayagam
> > > http://senthiln...

senthil.nayagam@gmail.com

Hi chris,

check this document for running on windows
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/...

important factors being
you need to install your app as service
then you can start and stop your server

the benefits of using mongrel is

you can run many applications together, you can even run your app in
multiple configurations from same codebase eg. development and
production environement together on different ports(obviously with
different service names)

once you master it you should learn about integrating with different or
your chosen web servers.

regards
A.Senthil Nayagam
http://senthiln...

chrisdude911 wrote:
> okey dokey,
> that worked,
> i installed mongrel on mswin32,
> is that ok?
> Also how do i start the server?
> Thanks
> Chris
> Senthilnayagam wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > the version you have downloaded is for advanced user who want to
> > compile their own version of Ruby,
> >
> > the code provided is in C
> >
> > please find "Readme" file which describes in details how to comile the
> > code
> >

> > if you are using window, I believe you are as Powerarchiver comes only
> > for windows
> >
> > try
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby...
> >
> > it takes less than a minute to install
> >
> > it does not have rails inbuilt, so after installing run from console
> >
> > gem install rails
> >

> > cheers
> >

> > regards
> > A.Senthil Nayagam
> > http://senthiln...
> >

> > chrisdude911 wrote:
> > > i've download 1.8.4 off http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
> > > and clicked on ruby-1.8.4.tar.gz. Powerarchiver opened and a heck of a
> > > lot of files were there. How do i install it?
> > > Thanks
> > > Chris

chrisdude911

it doesn't work

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Willis>gem install mongrel_service
'gem' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Willis>cd c:\ruby\bin

C:\ruby\bin>gem install mongrel_service
Attempting local installation of 'mongrel_service'
Local gem file not found: mongrel_service*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'mongrel_service'
Successfully installed mongrel_service-0.1
Installing RDoc documentation for mongrel_service-0.1...

C:\ruby\bin>cd c:
C:\>service::start
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\>service::install
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\>cd c:\rails\messageboard

C:\rails\messageboard>mongrel_rails service::start -N messageboard
'mongrel_rails' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\rails\messageboard>
Senthilnayagam wrote:

> Hi chris,
>
> check this document for running on windows
> http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/...
>
> important factors being
> you need to install your app as service
> then you can start and stop your server
>
> the benefits of using mongrel is
>
> you can run many applications together, you can even run your app in
> multiple configurations from same codebase eg. development and
> production environement together on different ports(obviously with
> different service names)
>
> once you master it you should learn about integrating with different or
> your chosen web servers.
>

> regards
> A.Senthil Nayagam
> http://senthiln...
>
> chrisdude911 wrote:
> > okey dokey,
> > that worked,
> > i installed mongrel on mswin32,
> > is that ok?
> > Also how do i start the server?
> > Thanks
> > Chris
> > Senthilnayagam wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Chris,
> > >
> > > the version you have downloaded is for advanced user who want to
> > > compile their own version of Ruby,
> > >
> > > the code provided is in C
> > >
> > > please find "Readme" file which describes in details how to comile the
> > > code
> > >

> > > if you are using window, I believe you are as Powerarchiver comes only
> > > for windows
> > >
> > > try
> > >
> > > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby...
> > >
> > > it takes less than a minute to install
> > >
> > > it does not have rails inbuilt, so after installing run from console
> > >
> > > gem install rails
> > >

> > > cheers
> > >

> > > regards
> > > A.Senthil Nayagam
> > > http://senthiln...

chrisdude911

IT NOW WANTS ME TO INSTALL DAEMON! WHAT EVER THE HELL THAT IS!

chrisdude911 wrote:

> it doesn't work
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Willis>gem install mongrel_service
> 'gem' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Willis>cd c:\ruby\bin
>
> C:\ruby\bin>gem install mongrel_service
> Attempting local installation of 'mongrel_service'
> Local gem file not found: mongrel_service*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'mongrel_service'
> Successfully installed mongrel_service-0.1
> Installing RDoc documentation for mongrel_service-0.1...
>
> C:\ruby\bin>cd c:>
> C:\>service::start
> The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>
> C:\>service::install
> The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>
> C:\>cd c:\rails\messageboard
>
> C:\rails\messageboard>mongrel_rails service::start -N messageboard
> 'mongrel_rails' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> C:\rails\messageboard>
> Senthilnayagam wrote:
>
> > Hi chris,
> >
> > check this document for running on windows
> > http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/...
> >
> > important factors being
> > you need to install your app as service
> > then you can start and stop your server
> >
> > the benefits of using mongrel is
> >
> > you can run many applications together, you can even run your app in
> > multiple configurations from same codebase eg. development and
> > production environement together on different ports(obviously with
> > different service names)
> >
> > once you master it you should learn about integrating with different or
> > your chosen web servers.
> >

> > regards
> > A.Senthil Nayagam
> > http://senthiln...
> >
> > chrisdude911 wrote:
> > > okey dokey,
> > > that worked,
> > > i installed mongrel on mswin32,
> > > is that ok?
> > > Also how do i start the server?
> > > Thanks
> > > Chris

senthil.nayagam@gmail.com

chris be patient,

this is a community site.

you could have fixed your problem initially by renaming few elements.

We still dont have a "dummies" book on ruby on rails

I and most experts on this group can provide paid support, for your
kind of problem, mail us your requirements

as a last resort, you can try "rails appliance" a vmware virtual
appliance , which is a linux distribution which will run within your
windows XP, you need lots of ram(atleast 512mb) and few GB(min 4 gb)
free space

but here too you need to be patient and learn ; then follow basic linux
commands given in the readme file.

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/dir...

download is in bitorrent format, download size 387 mb you also need
vmplayer another 25 mb.

but you get a full stack rails application development environment

lighttpd, mysql,ssh, svn, ruby, gems, rails,

the way which professional developers develop

regards
A.Senthil Nayagam
http://senthiln...