PDF::Writer and i18n

Pawel Chmielewski

6/23/2006 1:24:00 PM

Hi!

Does anyone was able to create PDF using PDF::Writer library with some
non-english characters? I've googled the case a little and it seems that
pdf writer doesn't support utf-8. Morover I've found no clue how I can
build PDF using, for example, latin-2 character set.
Here some explanations:
http://groups.google.pl/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/ff2b849a9fc39a2b/0a2eaa...
concerned UTF-8 but it doesn't help me much.

Thanks in advice.
Pawel

1 Answer

Austin Ziegler

Pawel Chmielewski wrote:
> Does anyone was able to create PDF using PDF::Writer library with some
> non-english characters? I've googled the case a little and it seems that
> pdf writer doesn't support utf-8. Morover I've found no clue how I can
> build PDF using, for example, latin-2 character set.

The manual does talk about substitution characters. There isn't a lot
of information about this, but it is relatively simple to do. I don't
have a lot of time to document this right now, but the next version
will have additional documentation about this.

PDF::Writer will *never* support UTF-8 directly, because the PDF spec
doesn't.

It'd be nice if PDF supported it, but it doesn't.

-austin