Ubuntu vs Ruby

Phlip

6/20/2006 1:50:00 PM

Ruboids:

Ubuntu does truly throw-down, no? Ubuntu rules like Mandrake could have
ruled, and like we all know RedHat will _never_ rule, right?

Oh, and Ubuntu is a Debian, not a RedHat, right?

So why does this awesome Ubuntu make my Ruby experience totally suck?

Try this:

- install everything to do with ruby1.8, with Synaptic Package Manager
- run my mighty MiniRubyWiki
- the system can't find webrick (LoadError), which is supposed to be part
of the core library!

So that leaves me trying to build ruby-1.8.4.tar.gz, where I can't build
tcltk stuff (don't ask), or copying the important stuff (including YAML) out
of the ruby-1.8.2 folders.

Thanks for letting me vent. Please don't try to help, except possibly by
infiltrating a Ruby zealot into Ubuntu!

--
Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wik... <-- NOT a blog!!!

7 Answers

mathew

Phlip wrote:
> Try this:
>
> - install everything to do with ruby1.8, with Synaptic Package Manager
> - run my mighty MiniRubyWiki
> - the system can't find webrick (LoadError), which is supposed to be part
> of the core library!

Try this:

apt-cache search webrick
apt-get install libwebrick-ruby

It's part of a long running problem with Debian. While there have been
some improvements, the Debian repackagers are unfortunately unwilling to
work with the Ruby developers to come up with a packaging system that works.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/...
My parents went to the lost kingdom of Hyrule

Phlip

mathew wrote:

> Try this:
>
> apt-cache search webrick
> apt-get install libwebrick-ruby

Thanks! for answering my question to the archives. I won't do it because I
don't want to disturb my current hack.

It turns out webrick is all raw source (yet another credit to Ruby - an
entire web server kit written in pure Ruby with no DLLs!), so I just copied
it up from ruby-1.8.2/lib.

Oh, then I had to get yaml, and hijack versions of strscan.so and syck.so.

Would your apt-get have sucked down syck.so?

--
Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wik... <-- NOT a blog!!!

David N. Welton

Phlip wrote:
> mathew wrote:
>
>> Try this:
>>
>> apt-cache search webrick
>> apt-get install libwebrick-ruby
>
> Thanks! for answering my question to the archives. I won't do it because I
> don't want to disturb my current hack.
>
> It turns out webrick is all raw source (yet another credit to Ruby - an
> entire web server kit written in pure Ruby with no DLLs!), so I just copied
> it up from ruby-1.8.2/lib.
>
> Oh, then I had to get yaml, and hijack versions of strscan.so and syck.so.

Copying stuff like that is a bad idea. It's best to use apt-get, or at
the very least, to use ruby gems.

I did that - fetch all the pieces of the core with apt, then install
rails with ruby gems, even though the latest Ubuntu seems to have a
recent Rails.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.c...

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.de...

Phlip

David N. Welton wrote:

> I did that - fetch all the pieces of the core with apt, then install rails
> with ruby gems, even though the latest Ubuntu seems to have a recent
> Rails.

8-0 you got gem working???!!!

Is all my irritation caused by Ubuntu uses --prefix=/usr where normal
programs default to --prefix=/usr/local ?

Anyway the demo with all these tools worked slick, so I no longer have a
reason to futz with versions. But reinstalling Ruby from scratch on the
morning of the demo was _rrreeal_ fun!

--
Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wik... <-- NOT a blog!!!

mathew

Phlip wrote:
> 8-0 you got gem working???!!!

RubyGems works fine on my Ubuntu system, using the distribution of
RubyGems, no hacking required.

And yes, you'd have gotten syck.so if you'd just installed the rest of
the APT packages for Ruby.

> Is all my irritation caused by Ubuntu uses --prefix=/usr where normal
> programs default to --prefix=/usr/local ?

No, I suspect all your irritation is caused by not using APT to install
the necessary software, and instead cobbling together a Frankenstein
monster out of different versions of Ruby.

I'd strongly suggest you blow away your current mess and:

apt-get install irb1.8 libreadline-ruby1.8 libruby1.8 libwebrick-ruby rake rdoc1.8 ruby1.8 ruby

You'll then have everything I have for Ruby development. Then download
RubyGems, and it should install with no problems.

Then learn to use Synaptic. Open it up, click Search, enter ruby as your
search term, and choose "name and description". Any time you need some
random bit of Ruby stuff, see if it's in that list before you go on a
scavenger hunt.

It'd be nice if the Ubuntu 'ruby' package included everything that's in
a normal distribution of Ruby, but again, that goes back to the Debian
packagers.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/...
My parents went to the lost kingdom of Hyrule
and all I got was this lousy triforce.

Tim Hoolihan

I recently installed Dapper on my laptop, and was able to get ruby and
gems on, but ri and rdoc aren't available. Any ideas?
-Tim

mathew wrote:
> Phlip wrote:
>> 8-0 you got gem working???!!!
>
> RubyGems works fine on my Ubuntu system, using the distribution of
> RubyGems, no hacking required.
>
> And yes, you'd have gotten syck.so if you'd just installed the rest of
> the APT packages for Ruby.
>
>> Is all my irritation caused by Ubuntu uses --prefix=/usr where normal
>> programs default to --prefix=/usr/local ?
>
> No, I suspect all your irritation is caused by not using APT to install
> the necessary software, and instead cobbling together a Frankenstein
> monster out of different versions of Ruby.
>
> I'd strongly suggest you blow away your current mess and:
>
> apt-get install irb1.8 libreadline-ruby1.8 libruby1.8 > libwebrick-ruby rake rdoc1.8 ruby1.8 ruby
>
> You'll then have everything I have for Ruby development. Then download
> RubyGems, and it should install with no problems.
>
> Then learn to use Synaptic. Open it up, click Search, enter ruby as your
> search term, and choose "name and description". Any time you need some
> random bit of Ruby stuff, see if it's in that list before you go on a
> scavenger hunt.
>
> It'd be nice if the Ubuntu 'ruby' package included everything that's in
> a normal distribution of Ruby, but again, that goes back to the Debian
> packagers.
>

> mathew

David N. Welton

Tim Hoolihan wrote:
> I recently installed Dapper on my laptop, and was able to get ruby and
> gems on, but ri and rdoc aren't available. Any ideas?

Sure they are. The problem may be that you don't have 'universe'
sources for apt...

Package: ri
Section: universe/interpreters
Installed-Size: 44
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Architecture: all
Source: ruby-defaults
Version: 1.8.2-1
Depends: ri1.8
Filename: pool/universe/r/ruby-defaults/ri_1.8.2-1_all.deb
Size: 3762
MD5sum: 458a36bc590f9ccb92bf33d43889d289
ri is a command line tool that displays descriptions of built-in Ruby
methods, classes, and modules. For methods, it shows you the calling
sequence and a description. For classes and modules, it shows a synopsis
along with a list of the methods the class or module implements.
.
This package is a dependency package, which depends on Debian's default
Ruby version (currently 1.8.x).

Package: rdoc
Section: universe/doc
Installed-Size: 44
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Architecture: all
Source: ruby-defaults
Version: 1.8.2-1
Depends: rdoc1.8
Filename: pool/universe/r/ruby-defaults/rdoc_1.8.2-1_all.deb
Size: 3852
MD5sum: 1d55f0295ce6a1d4f88cf774dc07f5ab
RDoc - Documentation from Ruby Source Files
* Generates structured HTML and XML documentation from Ruby source and C
extensions.
* Automatically extracts class, module, method, and attribute
definitions.
These can be annonated using inline comments.
* Analyzes method visibility.
* Handles aliasing.
* Uses non-intrusive and implicit markup in the comments. Readers
of the original source needn't know that it is marked up at all.
.