IDE for Windows?

Fernando

What IDE fro Ruby & ROR would you recommend for windows xp?

Thanks!
20 Answers

aidy

Fernando wrote:
> What IDE fro Ruby & ROR would you recommend for windows xp?

Not used RoR, but I can talk a little about Ruby and IDE's

1. Eclipse
There is a Ruby Development Tool plug-in
http://rubyeclipse.source...

An article relating to this is on developerworks
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ru...

>From what I can gather the debugger only supports (at the latest) Ruby
182, and I couldn't run from a network using Eclipse 3.1x

2. Arachno Ruby IDE
Liked the look and feel though its support for Ruby 184 is in beta, and
I got a few crashes with that

3. FreeRide (bundled with the Ruby install)
Crashed when using the debugger. Gave up.

5. Scite
Not an IDE, but text editor. Syntax highlighting plus good integration
with the interpreter

3. http://www.activestate.com/Produc...
Good debugger, and seems comprehensive though can be very slow. I am
leaning towards this at the moment.

I would imagine most Ruby users use emacs and vi, though if you are
from a windows background, you may not want to predominately use
keystrokes. Also a steep learning curve.

In my opinion there is not a satisfactory Ruby IDE (which I think is a
serious drawback), but they would probably say on this list that they
don't need one (i.e. Ruby users are likely to more experienced
developers with non-traditional philosophies)

Aidy

Huw Collingbourne

> What IDE fro Ruby & ROR would you recommend for windows xp?

If you are using Visual Studio, you may care to look at our Ruby In Steel
environment:

www.sapphiresteel.com

Currently this has editing features (code color/collapse, commenting etc.)
plus integrated debugging. Our forthcoming release will include Rails
specific features such as Integrated project management in Solution
Explorer, project create wizard, script/generate tools, colour coded rhtml
etc.

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

Jeff Schwab

Fernando wrote:

> What IDE fro Ruby & ROR would you recommend for windows xp?

Vim 7.

Steve Conover

Eclipse with RDT is what everyone's using these days, it's a nice try
but in the end I just can't stand Eclipse.

But nirvana is on the way - the folks at Jetbrains are working on a
Ruby plugin for Intellij. I'm a little sketchy on details but I think
a preview will be out sometime in the next month.

So for now I'm coding in Intellij and just binding ruby.exe as an
External Tool, bound to a key. Throw in some syntax hilighting and
it's as good as anything I've used, and I've used ALL the
specially-purposed ruby ide's.

-Steve

Kenosis

I've found Komodo on Windows very nice too.

Ken

Steve Conover wrote:
> Eclipse with RDT is what everyone's using these days, it's a nice try
> but in the end I just can't stand Eclipse.
>
> But nirvana is on the way - the folks at Jetbrains are working on a
> Ruby plugin for Intellij. I'm a little sketchy on details but I think
> a preview will be out sometime in the next month.
>
> So for now I'm coding in Intellij and just binding ruby.exe as an
> External Tool, bound to a key. Throw in some syntax hilighting and
> it's as good as anything I've used, and I've used ALL the
> specially-purposed ruby ide's.
>
> -Steve

aidy

Steve Conover wrote:

> But nirvana is on the way - the folks at Jetbrains are working on a
> Ruby plugin for Intellij. I'm a little sketchy on details but I think
> a preview will be out sometime in the next month.

Thanks for the info Steve. Will Intellij support Ruby 184x? I ask
because I had problems installing the latest version of Watir with Ruby
182.

Aidy

Steve Conover

I don't know but it's hard to imagine why they wouldn't. If it's
anything like the java side of things you'll be able to select your
favorite ruby installation.

The latest thread on the subject is here (forum registration required):
http://www.intellij.net/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=5121416&am...

I check up every few days with a search for "ruby" in the forums to see
if anything's happened.

-Steve

aidy wrote:
> Steve Conover wrote:
>

> > But nirvana is on the way - the folks at Jetbrains are working on a
> > Ruby plugin for Intellij. I'm a little sketchy on details but I think
> > a preview will be out sometime in the next month.
> >

> Thanks for the info Steve. Will Intellij support Ruby 184x? I ask
> because I had problems installing the latest version of Watir with Ruby
> 182.
>
> Aidy

Ville Mattila

"Fernando" <frrREMOVE-THIS@agbo.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> What IDE fro Ruby & ROR would you recommend for windows xp?

Arachno ruby. Try the latest version (currently 0.6.13) from
http://www.ruby-ide.com/forum/forumdispl.... It doesn't have
integrated ROR support. But otherwise it is excellent IDE for ruby.

- Ville

Chuck Brotman

Steel looks great! Is there any way this can be made to work on
viosual studio 2005 "express" version??? The free availability of
"express" would alloow quick gropwth of what may be the premier ide for
ruby (IMHO - said without having tried it... :)

Thanks,
Chuck Brotman

Huw Collingbourne wrote:

> > What IDE fro Ruby & ROR would you recommend for windows xp?
>
> If you are using Visual Studio, you may care to look at our Ruby In Steel
> environment:
>
> www.sapphiresteel.com
>
> Currently this has editing features (code color/collapse, commenting etc.)
> plus integrated debugging. Our forthcoming release will include Rails
> specific features such as Integrated project management in Solution
> Explorer, project create wizard, script/generate tools, colour coded rhtml
> etc.
>
> best wishes
> Huw Collingbourne

greg.kujawa

Seconded here. I found Komodo to be nice. Eclipse is a little too big
of a resource beast, and other products I have evaluated just missed
the mark in other areas.