unpacking a .gem?

Martin Pirker

6/18/2006 2:09:00 PM

Hi...

Short question: How do I manually unpack a .gem?

Long version:
Increasingly packages seem to only come as gem
download (e.g. mongrel). While nice and all if you are
properly setup and connected, you just gem install (and
there's an option "unpack an installed gem to the current
directory").

But what if for some reasons I just got hold of a single .gem
file and just want to
a) study its content first without install or
b) carefully install by hand into an enviroment which I
exactly want to know what gets in/out (no automatisms)

Thanks,
Martin
2 Answers

senthil.nayagam@gmail.com

Hi Martin,

Gem packing essentially is a zip file.

so rename it and unzip and do your research stuff.

this zip also has info on the gem plugin/app structure, author and
usage info

regards
A.Senthil Nayagam
http://senthiln...

Martin Pirker wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Short question: How do I manually unpack a .gem?
>
> Long version:
> Increasingly packages seem to only come as gem
> download (e.g. mongrel). While nice and all if you are
> properly setup and connected, you just gem install (and
> there's an option "unpack an installed gem to the current
> directory").
>
> But what if for some reasons I just got hold of a single .gem
> file and just want to
> a) study its content first without install or
> b) carefully install by hand into an enviroment which I
> exactly want to know what gets in/out (no automatisms)
>

> Thanks,
> Martin

Martin Pirker

Senthilnayagam <senthil.nayagam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gem packing essentially is a zip file.

Ummm... it is indeed a plain .tar which aggregates a metadata.tar.gz
and a data.tar.gz

I suspected something like that already, but silly me got confused
why .tar.gz depacking didn't work - more than one wrapping, that's the
trick...

thanks :-)
Martin