why are docs so out of date?

msoulier

6/14/2006 12:13:00 AM

Looking at the docs on http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/200..., there
is a 1.4.6 reference manual, and a 1.6 library reference, while ruby is
up to 1.8.4.

Perl and Python don't seem to have this problem. As a newbie to Ruby
(hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.

Cheers,
Mike

6 Answers

Tim Hunter

msoulier wrote:
> Looking at the docs on http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/200..., there
> is a 1.4.6 reference manual, and a 1.6 library reference, while ruby is
> up to 1.8.4.
>
> Perl and Python don't seem to have this problem. As a newbie to Ruby
> (hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

www.ruby-doc.org

msoulier

Tim Hunter wrote:
> > Perl and Python don't seem to have this problem. As a newbie to Ruby
> > (hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.
> www.ruby-doc.org

Doesn't cut it.

For example, in the UDPSocket class, there is no mention of the send
method, but I'm told that it's there. That's just useless.

Mike

greg.kujawa

msoulier wrote:
> Tim Hunter wrote:
> > > Perl and Python don't seem to have this problem. As a newbie to Ruby
> > > (hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.
> > www.ruby-doc.org
>
> Doesn't cut it.
>
> For example, in the UDPSocket class, there is no mention of the send
> method, but I'm told that it's there. That's just useless.
>
> Mike

Are you sure that the #send method isn't there? FYI here are some
details regarding the UDPSocket class...

UDPSocket

UDP socket class

UDPSocket is a class for UDP (User Datagram Protocol), which is
connection-less, unreliable protocol.

Required Library

require 'socket'
Inherited Class

IPSocket

Class Methods

UDPSocket::new([socktype=Socket::AF_INET])
UDPSocket::open([socktype=Socket::AF_INET])
Creates a UDP datagram socket.

Instance Methods

s.bind(host, port)
Binds the socket to port on host. host may be empty string ("") for
INADDR_ANY, or "<broadcast>" for INADDR_BROADCAST.

s.connect(host, port)
Connects the socket to port on host. host may be empty string ("") for
INADDR_ANY, or "<broadcast>" for INADDR_BROADCAST.

s.send(mesg, flags[, to])
s.send(mesg, flags[, host, port])
Sends data on a socket s, returning the length of the data sent. If
only two arguments are specified, the destination is assumed to be the
port of the existing connection. Otherwise, it may be specified using a
struct sockaddr when calling the method with three arguments, or by
indicating host and port when specifying four arguments.

greg.kujawa

msoulier wrote:
> Tim Hunter wrote:
> > > Perl and Python don't seem to have this problem. As a newbie to Ruby
> > > (hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.
> > www.ruby-doc.org
>
> Doesn't cut it.
>
> For example, in the UDPSocket class, there is no mention of the send
> method, but I'm told that it's there. That's just useless.
>
> Mike

Looking at a Google cache of the Ruby-Doc site I do see mention of the
#send method. My DNS Server is having problems resolving the original
Ruby-Doc site for some reason. See
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:eTIrXmwc8RoJ:www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/resolv-replace/rdoc/classes/UDPSocket.html+Ruby+UDPSocket+Class&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk...
for details from the Google cache.

msoulier

gregarican wrote:
> Are you sure that the #send method isn't there? FYI here are some
> details regarding the UDPSocket class...

Thanks. Pickaxe has it, but I guess it wasn't picked-up in the rdoc of
the source that ends up on ruby-doc.

Mike

Chris Hulan

gregarican wrote:
> msoulier wrote:
> > Tim Hunter wrote:

> Looking at a Google cache of the Ruby-Doc site I do see mention of the
> #send method. My DNS Server is having problems resolving the original
> Ruby-Doc site for some reason. See
> http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:eTIrXmwc8RoJ:www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/resolv-replace/rdoc/classes/UDPSocket.html+Ruby+UDPSocket+Class&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk...
> for details from the Google cache.

It seems resolv-replace over-rides UDPSocket.send(), the method is
listed but it is not documented

cheers