Mac OS X automation with Ruby

tmak

6/12/2006 12:45:00 AM

I'm considering a switch (back) from the PC to a Mac/Intel laptop. I
want to know about options to automate applications. I used AppleScript
in the past (Mac OS 9, late 1990s) and remember it as particularly
painful.
Are there bindings for Mac automation that I can use from Ruby, by far
my most favorite language. Windows automation is a breeze with the
AutoIt/Ruby combo, and I'd hate to give that up in transitioning to the
Mac.

Cross-posted to comp.lang.ruby and comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Reply to newsgroups only. I do not check my gmail account.

4 Answers

Tim Murray

On Jun 11, 2006, Tony.Makhlouf@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm considering a switch (back) from the PC to a Mac/Intel laptop. I
> want to know about options to automate applications. I used AppleScript
> in the past (Mac OS 9, late 1990s) and remember it as particularly
> painful.
> Are there bindings for Mac automation that I can use from Ruby, by far
> my most favorite language. Windows automation is a breeze with the
> AutoIt/Ruby combo, and I'd hate to give that up in transitioning to the
> Mac.
>
> Cross-posted to comp.lang.ruby and comp.sys.mac.advocacy
>
> Reply to newsgroups only. I do not check my gmail account.

Have you seen http://inquirylabs.com/b...

A google for macintosh ruby automate pulls up 124,000 English pages.

pere.noel

<Tony.Makhlouf@gmail.com> wrote:

> I used AppleScript
> in the past (Mac OS 9, late 1990s) and remember it as particularly
> painful.
> Are there bindings for Mac automation that I can use from Ruby, by far
> my most favorite language.

their is a ruby/applescript binding called "RubyAEOSA" see
<http://www.fobj.com/ruby...
--
une bévue

Premshree Pillai

Une bévue wrote:
> <Tony.Makhlouf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I used AppleScript
> > in the past (Mac OS 9, late 1990s) and remember it as particularly
> > painful.
> > Are there bindings for Mac automation that I can use from Ruby, by far
> > my most favorite language.
>
> their is a ruby/applescript binding called "RubyAEOSA" see
> <http://www.fobj.com/ruby...

Or, of course, you could run an AppleScript from within Ruby:

script = <<SCRIPT
tell application "foo"
[...]
end tell
SCRIPT

`osascript -ss -e '#{script}'`

:-)

Premshree

Dale

Tony.Makhlouf@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm considering a switch (back) from the PC to a Mac/Intel laptop. I
> want to know about options to automate applications. I used AppleScript
> in the past (Mac OS 9, late 1990s) and remember it as particularly
> painful.
> Are there bindings for Mac automation that I can use from Ruby, by far
> my most favorite language. Windows automation is a breeze with the
> AutoIt/Ruby combo, and I'd hate to give that up in transitioning to the
> Mac.

I don't think you'll find Ruby as well supported on the Mac for
automation as it is on Windows.

Other than AppleScript 'bindings'/OSA there's support for Javascript,
Python and Ruby. I've put these languages in the order they're best
supported (in my limited knowledge, without having used them). A Google
search will turn up info about each.