Help with Exercise from Pine's Learning to Program (Chapter 7

woodyee

5/2/2006 2:44:00 PM

Help! I'm stuck! I'm using Chris Pine's book and I'm stuck on the first
exercise at the end of chapter 7 ("Deaf Grandma"). Can someone offer
suggestions? I can get the first part (ask, she yells 'speak up' unless
I ask in caps in that case she'll say 'no...') but I'm lost after that.
Thanks so much!

#Write a Deaf Grandma program.
#Whatever you say to grandma (whatever you type in), she should respond
with HUH?! SPEAK UP, SONNY!,
#unless you shout it (type in all capitals).
#If you shout, she can hear you (or at least she thinks so) and yells
back, NO, NOT SINCE 1938!
#You can't stop talking to grandma until you shout BYE.
#Hint: Don't forget about chomp! 'BYE'with an Enter is not the same as
'BYE' without one!
#Hint 2: Try to think about what parts of your program should happen
over and over again.
#All of those should be in your while loop.

ask = gets.chomp
while ask != ask.upcase
puts 'HUH?! SPEAK UP, SONNY!'
ask = gets.chomp
if ask = ask.upcase
puts 'NO! NOT SINCE 1938'
ask = gets.chomp
end
if puts 'BYE'
ask = gets.chomp

anne001

Is this your code?
if ask = ask.upcase

shouldn't it be if ask == ask.upcase

have you seen case so far?
it seems to me I would do in pseudocode
loop
get the ask string
case(not uppercase)
speak up
case(BYE)
break out of loop
case (all other cases)
no not since ...
end cases
endloop

To break out of loop, you can set a variable
say wanttostop=0
while(wanttostop==0)
cases...
case BYE
wanttostop=1
end

or there are ways to break out of a loop, don't know how much the book
has covered.

Does this help?
You can use if same as case, if you have not seen case

bak yim sing

Arindam Banerjee wrote:

> "bak yim sing" <bs@bys.com> wrote in message
> > Mr Lee, read the Hindu Bible - Bhagavad Gita. Hindus can
> > do good and achieve much without much material incentives.
> > It is their dharma (sacred duties) to do it not the fruits of
> > action
> >
> > The book is only about 70-80 pages. Not a difficult read
> > but full of Hindu philosophies.
>
> The Gita is only a small narration in one of the kandas (sections) of the
> epic Mahabharata.

A lot of the Caitanya Schools of Hinduism based their philosophies
exclusively on the Gita and Bhagavata Purana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaitanya_...

So the Gita philosophies is very much representing a lot of Hindu philosophies.

I happened to own a complete set of the Maha-Bharata videos.
Incidentally, Bharata is the Indian name for India in a lot of
Indian languages.

> While it has many sound literary and philosophical
> merits, it is not regarded in scriptural terms, for it lacks the necessary
> quality of being beyond the scope of time,

Is it that when Arjuna and Krishna doing their philosophical
discussion on the battle field, the time stopped. That means the
philosophy is timeless.

> as it is confined to a particular
> group in a particular age. The Puranas and the Vedas/Vedantas have
> scriptural quality. The Gita is important as aspects from the Puranas and
> the Vedas/Vedantas are found in this primarily literary and historical work.
>
> Cheers,
> Arindam Banerjee.

Arindam Banerjee

> Arindam Banerjee wrote:
>
>> "bak yim sing" <bs@bys.com> wrote in message
>> > Mr Lee, read the Hindu Bible - Bhagavad Gita. Hindus can
>> > do good and achieve much without much material incentives.
>> > It is their dharma (sacred duties) to do it not the fruits of
>> > action
>> >
>> > The book is only about 70-80 pages. Not a difficult read
>> > but full of Hindu philosophies.
>>
>> The Gita is only a small narration in one of the kandas (sections) of the
>> epic Mahabharata.
>
> A lot of the Caitanya Schools of Hinduism based their philosophies
> exclusively on the Gita and Bhagavata Purana.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaitanya_...
>
> So the Gita philosophies is very much representing a lot of Hindu
> philosophies.

No doubt. But the life of Lord Krishna is just one aspect of Sanatana
Dharma. The Vedas are about the wisdom and secrets we may get from the Gods
and Goddesses. To say that the Gita is all that Sanatana Dharma has to
offer is a huge lie, but one which has been sold successfully by the
dominant anti-Hindus. As such the Gita is imperfect, for it is only a
literary work in a historical saga, dealing with ways to live happily and
productively in an imperfect world. To say that all of Hinduism is
contained in it, is to accept a reductionist position which is anti-Hindu,
as it outs the totality of main Hindu scripture making them useless and
pointless. But, so many Hindus do not even know about the Gita, let alone
the Vedas/Vedantas/Puranas so these ignorant people (who may be very well
off money and power wise) may well say that the Gita is everything.

The Gita was given prominence in the British Raj, because of the new legal
system they imposed. Christians as witnesses had to swear on the Bible.
The Gita was selected as a corresponding text, for Hindus.

> I happened to own a complete set of the Maha-Bharata videos.
> Incidentally, Bharata is the Indian name for India in a lot of
> Indian languages.
>
>> While it has many sound literary and philosophical
>> merits, it is not regarded in scriptural terms, for it lacks the
>> necessary
>> quality of being beyond the scope of time,
>
> Is it that when Arjuna and Krishna doing their philosophical
> discussion on the battle field, the time stopped. That means the
> philosophy is timeless.

What I meant was that the actual Indian scriptures are timeless, for they
deal with eternal values. No time did not stop, even though it may have
looked like it. Krishna took some time to calm Arjuna, and make him realise
that doing one's duty - no matter how unpleasantly violent - was the most
important thing to do. Giving way to affection was the escapist route, not
suited for the brave man of action. Yes this lesson is timeless, but the
setting was not.

>> as it is confined to a particular
>> group in a particular age. The Puranas and the Vedas/Vedantas have
>> scriptural quality. The Gita is important as aspects from the Puranas
>> and
>> the Vedas/Vedantas are found in this primarily literary and historical
>> work.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Arindam Banerjee.

Arindam Banerjee

"Arindam Banerjee" <adda1234@bigpond.com> wrote in message
On Nov 15, 9:10 am, ltlee1 <ltl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 11:12 pm, "Arindam Banerjee" <adda1...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > "bak yim sing" <b...@bys.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:4AFDB32D.8DC8054C@bys.com...
>
> > > Mr Lee, read the Hindu Bible - Bhagavad Gita. Hindus can
> > > do good and achieve much without much material incentives.
> > > It is their dharma (sacred duties) to do it not the fruits of
> > > action
>
> > > The book is only about 70-80 pages. Not a difficult read
> > > but full of Hindu philosophies.
>
> > The Gita is only a small narration in one of the kandas (sections) of
> > the
> > epic Mahabharata. While it has many sound literary and philosophical
> > merits, it is not regarded in scriptural terms, for it lacks the
> > necessary
> > quality of being beyond the scope of time, as it is confined to a
> > particular
> > group in a particular age.
>
> In physics, time, as denote by t, is characterized by the B series.
> Physics is
> beyond time and age.

The (correct) understanding of physics very much within time and
place. Physics is a particular kind of philosophy.

Metaphysics, or philosophy is, never beyond the
> scope of
> time.

Metaphysics is not philosophy; it is the source and direction of
philosophy. Metaphysics by definition is beyond the scope of time and
everyday knowledge, for it is both the source and direction underlying
all comprehension. There could be various different metaphysics,
relating to various social groups. Some are more developed, some are
less developed. Some are more dominant, others that could be more
refined are latent. Metaphysics relates to revelation from Divine
Grace; only the Poet has genuine access to Metaphysics.

Philosophy is simply the love of knowledge and the wisdom resulting
from same, and a philosopher is he who can express that as coherently
as possible.

Cheers,

Arindam Banerjee.

AB: To add to what I wrote, from a Poet who presents a certain metaphysics,
there will be a number of philosophers derived, each who understands the
metaphysics in terms of acceptance, negation, or a balance of both. Thus
from Homer the West had the Greek philosophers who till Socrates accepted
the metaphysics underlying Hellenic paganism; from Dante the West had (till
Nietzsche) the Christian philosophers who followed the metaphysics
underlying Jewish monotheism that for one-upmanship over paganism stressed
literacy and literalism; and from Kalidas we still retain the metaphysics
underlying the only remaining polytheism in the world, namely, the Sanatana
Dharma. Of course, the corresponding religions existed before Homer, Dante
and Kalidas - but then, the Great Poet relates to metaphysics, which is
beyond the scope of time...

May be Hinduism's effort to go beyond the scope of time gives
> rise to the
> problem described by the article in the beginning post. Hinduism is
> like a video
> game with infinite levels. Theoretically, one can play the same game
> until kingdom
> comes. However, not many wants to do that.
>

> > The Puranas and the Vedas/Vedantas have
> > scriptural quality. The Gita is important as aspects from the Puranas
> > and
> > the Vedas/Vedantas are found in this primarily literary and historical
> > work.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Arindam Banerjee.- Hide quoted text -

harmony

"ltlee1" <ltlee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Nov 13, 11:12 pm, "Arindam Banerjee" <adda1...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> "bak yim sing" <b...@bys.com> wrote in
> messagenews:4AFDB32D.8DC8054C@bys.com...
>
> > Mr Lee, read the Hindu Bible - Bhagavad Gita. Hindus can
> > do good and achieve much without much material incentives.
> > It is their dharma (sacred duties) to do it not the fruits of
> > action
>
> > The book is only about 70-80 pages. Not a difficult read
> > but full of Hindu philosophies.
>
> The Gita is only a small narration in one of the kandas (sections) of the
> epic Mahabharata. While it has many sound literary and philosophical
> merits, it is not regarded in scriptural terms, for it lacks the necessary
> quality of being beyond the scope of time, as it is confined to a
> particular
> group in a particular age.

<<In physics, time, as denote by t, is characterized by the B series.
Physics is
beyond time and age. >>

i think there was no time before the big bang when bhagavaan brahma said
o........m.

<<<Metaphysics, or philosophy is, never beyond the
scope of
time. May be Hinduism's effort to go beyond the scope of time gives
rise to the
problem described by the article in the beginning post. Hinduism is
like a video
game with infinite levels. >>>

interesting. what's islam and kirastanism like? and what's marxism like?

bak yim sing

Arindam Banerjee wrote:

> "bak yim sing" <bs@bys.com> wrote in message
> > Arindam Banerjee wrote:
> >
> >> "bak yim sing" <bs@bys.com> wrote in message

> >> The Gita is only a small narration in one of the kandas (sections) of the
> >> epic Mahabharata.
> >
> > A lot of the Caitanya Schools of Hinduism based their philosophies
> > exclusively on the Gita and Bhagavata Purana.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaitanya_...
> >
> > So the Gita philosophies is very much representing a lot of Hindu
> > philosophies.
>
> No doubt. But the life of Lord Krishna is just one aspect of Sanatana
> Dharma. The Vedas are about the wisdom and secrets we may get from the Gods
> and Goddesses. To say that the Gita is all that Sanatana Dharma has to
> offer is a huge lie, but one which has been sold successfully by the
> dominant anti-Hindus.

I think you are too much influenced by the Judeo-Christian-Islamic
scholarship where the Bible/Quran is the one and the whole truth.
I don't know too much about Hinduism, but in Buddhism, which
has also its origin in India, truth is to be sought and the scriptures
are not mandates. They are just pointing you a way to seek the
truth/awakenings/nirvana etc and by no means, those are the only
ways.

> As such the Gita is imperfect, for it is only a
> literary work in a historical saga, dealing with ways to live happily and
> productively in an imperfect world.

This is a way you can follow:

Take the second teaching in the Gita verses 55 and 56

Krishna, what defines a man deep in contemplation whose insight
and thought are sure?

Krishna: when he gives up desires in his mind,
is content with the self within himself,
then he is said to be a man whose insight is sure.

When suffering does not disturb his mind,
when his craving for pleasures has vanished,
when attraction, fear, and anger are gone,
he is called a sage whose thought is sure.

I cannot say that this kind of admonition is not timeless.
I can find numerous comparable examples in Buddhism
and Chinese Taoism parallel to such thoughts. In fact,
this is the way of modern psychological therapy.

> To say that all of Hinduism is
> contained in it, is to accept a reductionist position which is anti-Hindu,

I won't say that it is so extreme as anti-Hindu. The Gita
is now a very influential book in the world. And probably,
this is our only knowledge of Hinduism so far and we are
not anti-Hindu. The Gita is a great book. I have read it again
and again three to four times in the last two years.

> as it outs the totality of main Hindu scripture making them useless and
> pointless. But, so many Hindus do not even know about the Gita, let alone
> the Vedas/Vedantas/Puranas so these ignorant people (who may be very well
> off money and power wise) may well say that the Gita is everything.

Indian religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism stress on philosophical
experience
rather than on religious mandates. You read it, if it doesn't make sense to you,

you don't read it. A lot of the experience are even beyond logic and reasoning.
A student is allowed to pick and choose to experience various aspects of the
philosophy / religion, whereas Judeo-Christian-Islamic religions stress on the
"belief", even when things do not make sense, do not concur with your
experience.
you still have to believe in it.

> The Gita was given prominence in the British Raj, because of the new legal
> system they imposed. Christians as witnesses had to swear on the Bible.
> The Gita was selected as a corresponding text, for Hindus.

That alone does not make people want to read the book. The 13th
president of the United States Franklin Pierce refused to swear on the
Bible during presidential inauguration. Instead, he used a law book to
swear on. That does not make that law book interesting to read.

> > I happened to own a complete set of the Maha-Bharata videos.
> > Incidentally, Bharata is the Indian name for India in a lot of
> > Indian languages.
> >
> >> While it has many sound literary and philosophical
> >> merits, it is not regarded in scriptural terms, for it lacks the
> >> necessary
> >> quality of being beyond the scope of time,
> >
> > Is it that when Arjuna and Krishna doing their philosophical
> > discussion on the battle field, the time stopped. That means the
> > philosophy is timeless.
>
> What I meant was that the actual Indian scriptures are timeless, for they
> deal with eternal values. No time did not stop, even though it may have
> looked like it. Krishna took some time to calm Arjuna, and make him realise
> that doing one's duty - no matter how unpleasantly violent - was the most
> important thing to do. Giving way to affection was the escapist route, not
> suited for the brave man of action. Yes this lesson is timeless, but the
> setting was not.

Believe me, there is a lot more than that in the Gita.

> >> as it is confined to a particular
> >> group in a particular age. The Puranas and the Vedas/Vedantas have
> >> scriptural quality. The Gita is important as aspects from the Puranas
> >> and
> >> the Vedas/Vedantas are found in this primarily literary and historical
> >> work.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Arindam Banerjee.

Arindam Banerjee

> Arindam Banerjee wrote:
>
>> "bak yim sing" <bs@bys.com> wrote in message

>> > A lot of the Caitanya Schools of Hinduism based their philosophies
>> > exclusively on the Gita and Bhagavata Purana.
>> >
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaitanya_...
>> >
>> > So the Gita philosophies is very much representing a lot of Hindu
>> > philosophies.
>>
>> No doubt. But the life of Lord Krishna is just one aspect of Sanatana
>> Dharma. The Vedas are about the wisdom and secrets we may get from the
>> Gods
>> and Goddesses. To say that the Gita is all that Sanatana Dharma has to
>> offer is a huge lie, but one which has been sold successfully by the
>> dominant anti-Hindus.
>
> I think you are too much influenced by the Judeo-Christian-Islamic
> scholarship where the Bible/Quran is the one and the whole truth.

I think this could be true for you, but not for me.

> I don't know too much about Hinduism,

Just know that there is no such thing as Hinduism except as a label by
foreigners, which those who are Sanatan dharmis accept as their identity,
for purposes of convenience and differentiation.

but in Buddhism, which
> has also its origin in India, truth is to be sought and the scriptures
> are not mandates. They are just pointing you a way to seek the
> truth/awakenings/nirvana etc and by no means, those are the only
> ways.
>
>> As such the Gita is imperfect, for it is only a
>> literary work in a historical saga, dealing with ways to live happily and
>> productively in an imperfect world.
>
> This is a way you can follow:
>
> Take the second teaching in the Gita verses 55 and 56
>
> Krishna, what defines a man deep in contemplation whose insight
> and thought are sure?
>
> Krishna: when he gives up desires in his mind,
> is content with the self within himself,
> then he is said to be a man whose insight is sure.
>
> When suffering does not disturb his mind,
> when his craving for pleasures has vanished,
> when attraction, fear, and anger are gone,
> he is called a sage whose thought is sure.

> I cannot say that this kind of admonition is not timeless.
> I can find numerous comparable examples in Buddhism
> and Chinese Taoism parallel to such thoughts. In fact,
> this is the way of modern psychological therapy.

>> To say that all of Hinduism is
>> contained in it, is to accept a reductionist position which is
>> anti-Hindu,
>
> I won't say that it is so extreme as anti-Hindu. The Gita
> is now a very influential book in the world. And probably,
> this is our only knowledge of Hinduism so far and we are
> not anti-Hindu. The Gita is a great book. I have read it again
> and again three to four times in the last two years.

To put matters in perspective: I have right before me a Bengali translation
of the epic Mahabharata (by Kashidas). It is contained in 1214 pages. The
Gita is contained within the pages 707 to 712 - about 4.6 pages. It is thus
4.6/1214 or 0.378% of the matter of the Mahabharata.

On Nov 17, 3:15?pm, "harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "ltlee1" <ltl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Nov 13, 11:12 pm, "Arindam Banerjee" <adda1...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

> > "bak yim sing" <b...@bys.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:4AFDB32D.8DC8054C@bys.com...
>
> > > Mr Lee, read the Hindu Bible - Bhagavad Gita. Hindus can
> > > do good and achieve much without much material incentives.
> > > It is their dharma (sacred duties) to do it not the fruits of
> > > action
>
> > > The book is only about 70-80 pages. Not a difficult read
> > > but full of Hindu philosophies.
>
> > The Gita is only a small narration in one of the kandas (sections) of
> > the
> > epic Mahabharata. While it has many sound literary and philosophical
> > merits, it is not regarded in scriptural terms, for it lacks the
> > necessary
> > quality of being beyond the scope of time, as it is confined to a
> > particular
> > group in a particular age.
>
> <<In physics, time, as denote by t, is characterized by the B series.
> Physics is
> beyond time and age. >>
>
> i think there was no time before the big bang when bhagavaan brahma said
> o........m.
>
> <<<Metaphysics, or philosophy is, never beyond the
> scope of
> time. May be Hinduism's effort to go beyond the scope of time gives
> rise to the
> problem described by the article in the beginning post. Hinduism is
> like a video
> game with infinite levels. >>>
>
> interesting. what's islam and kirastanism like? and what's marxism like?

<<<Christianity began with Jesus. If Jesus was wrong, Christianity would
fall with
it. In contrast, Hinduism "has no founder and event inaugurating its
is merely
an aspect of the awareness of eternity and consequently indifference
to history
which permeate Hinduism.">>>

did you probably mean to say "if the bible is wrong..." in place where you
say "if jesus was wrong .."?
because it would be impossible to verify what jesus said or did except thr'
bible which supposedly is the final autority on jesus, right?

further, xitianity has already fallen in much of europe. so, is bible/jesus
wrong?
now, how would the non-white xtians in asia feel now that the whites, the
original dogged propagandists and crusaders and conquistadoras of xtiainty,
are walking away from kirastanism? would asian not feel stupid, cheated,
left holding the bag?

btw, you have made no comment on mohamadism and marxism. why?

On Nov 18, 11:59?am, "harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "ltlee1" <ltl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Nov 17, 3:15?pm, "harmony" <a...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > "ltlee1" <ltl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Nov 13, 11:12 pm, "Arindam Banerjee" <adda1...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > > "bak yim sing" <b...@bys.com> wrote in
> > > messagenews:4AFDB32D.8DC8054C@bys.com...

> > > The Gita is only a small narration in one of the kandas (sections) of
> > > the
> > > epic Mahabharata. While it has many sound literary and philosophical
> > > merits, it is not regarded in scriptural terms, for it lacks the
> > > necessary
> > > quality of being beyond the scope of time, as it is confined to a
> > > particular
> > > group in a particular age.
>
> > <<In physics, time, as denote by t, is characterized by the B series.
> > Physics is
> > beyond time and age. >>
>
> > i think there was no time before the big bang when bhagavaan brahma said
> > o........m.
>
> > <<<Metaphysics, or philosophy is, never beyond the
> > scope of
> > time. May be Hinduism's effort to go beyond the scope of time gives
> > rise to the
> > problem described by the article in the beginning post. Hinduism is
> > like a video
> > game with infinite levels. >>>
>
> > interesting. what's islam and kirastanism like? and what's marxism like?
>
> <<<Christianity began with Jesus. If Jesus was wrong, Christianity would
> fall with
> it. ?In contrast, Hinduism "has no founder and event inaugurating its
> is merely
> an aspect of the awareness of eternity and consequently indifference
> to history
> which permeate Hinduism.">>>
>
> did you probably mean to say "if the bible is wrong..." ?in place where
> you
> say "if jesus was wrong .."?
> because it would be impossible to verify what jesus said or did except
> thr'
> bible which supposedly is the final autority on jesus, right?
>
> further, xitianity has already fallen in much of europe. so, is
> bible/jesus
> wrong?
> now, how would the non-white xtians in asia feel now that the whites, the
> original dogged propagandists and crusaders and conquistadoras of
> xtiainty,
> are walking away from kirastanism? would asian not feel stupid, cheated,
> left holding the bag?
>
> btw, you have made no comment on mohamadism and marxism. why?

<<<Actually, "Paul" passed through my mind. He was the one who made
Christianity Christianity. Concerning Jesus, there are literature
about
him using material independent of the Chrsitian bible. THE JESUS
DYNASTY by James Tabor is one such example. Anyway, AK Saran's
article treated Chrsitianity, Islam and Buddhist as a group in
opposite
to Hinduism. The article also mentioned Marx. You can look it up
yourself.>>

i thought you would have your own view on this (not mr. saran's)
also, do you agree kirastanism has pretty much fallen in west europe?