Ruby Cookbook

slunky

4/30/2006 5:23:00 AM

Is there a resource or book similar to O'Reilly's "Cookbook" series of
books? I learn best with this type of book. Real world examples with
short and sweet despcriptions of what they are. Many thanks in advance.

--
-slunky
7 Answers

amrangaye

Try Rails Recipes, from the Pragmatic Programmers. I'm reading it, and
it's quite up to the quality of the O'reilly cookbooks. It also covers
Rails 1.1 features, so it's a bit more up-to-date than the Agile Ruby
on Rails book.

It's still a beta book, though, so it's not quite finished yet, but
most of the recipes are complete. I'd highly recommend it.

You can find it at http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/tit....

Ross Bamford

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 06:23:23 +0100, slunky <slunky@globalzero.org> wrote:

> Is there a resource or book similar to O'Reilly's "Cookbook" series of
> books? I learn best with this type of book. Real world examples with
> short and sweet despcriptions of what they are. Many thanks in advance.

It's due out this July, I think you can get a draft through the 'rough
cuts' program. See:

http://www.crummy.com/writing/Rub...

In the meantime, this has a similar style (but may be slightly outdated by
now):

http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/Cookbook/...

--
Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk

pitoune

slunky wrote:
> Is there a resource or book similar to O'Reilly's "Cookbook" series of
> books? I learn best with this type of book. Real world examples with
> short and sweet despcriptions of what they are. Many thanks in advance.
>
> --
> -slunky

One more resource: http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/...

slts

slunky

_/ amrangaye wrote \_
> Try Rails Recipes, from the Pragmatic Programmers. I'm reading it, and
> it's quite up to the quality of the O'reilly cookbooks. It also covers
> Rails 1.1 features, so it's a bit more up-to-date than the Agile Ruby
> on Rails book.
>
> It's still a beta book, though, so it's not quite finished yet, but
> most of the recipes are complete. I'd highly recommend it.
>
> You can find it at http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/tit....

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone!

--
-slunky

Tom Ewall

Thanks for posting these links.

Booker C. Bense

Gene Tani

Booker C. Bense wrote:

> In article <slrne58ie4.2ptq.slunky@latitude.zero>,
> slunky <slunky@globalzero.org> wrote:
> >Is there a resource or book similar to O'Reilly's "Cookbook" series of
> >books? I learn best with this type of book. Real world examples with
> >short and sweet despcriptions of what they are. Many thanks in advance.
> >

> _ "The Ruby Way" seems to fit that description pretty well,
> although it doesn't cover many of the newer modules.
>
> http://rubyhacker.com/...

Amazon says 2nd edition Ruby Way will be out June 21 (can't wait!), and
the Oreilly Ruby Cookbook is out in pretty much final form (as I
understand it) as a PDF Rough Cut now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0672328844/sr=8-2/qid=1146583049/ref=sr_1_2/103-3311503-6360648?%5Fenc...
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog...