Community learning -- learn ruby with me

shiv

4/26/2006 7:41:00 PM

Hi i am shiv nd i am got hooked up to this new phenomena called Ruby On
Rails. I really wish to learn nd being alone this cruel programming
world can be tough sometimes. I wanna learn ruby first. So i wish a few
people learn with me.
So lets start ????????
here is the url : http://ruby4me.blo...

17 Answers

anne001

It is too long, it is more like notes. Perhaps see if you can format
your text so it is more condensed so people can learn from it.

hemant

are you stupid or something?

* Learn with me * ------ ha ha....thatz great....

shiv

y do u think i am stupid ? i am only trying to blog my learning
experiences so that i can sort out any problems i faced.

Fred J. McCall

Akins of that Ilk <the_akins_of_akins@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Apr 11, 9:59?pm, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Akins of that Ilk <the_akins_of_ak...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> >The black actor, Morgan Freeman, takes the Jewish journalist, Mike
>> >Wallace to task with an excellent perspective on how racism should be
>> >handled:
>>
>> I find a bullet is fairly effective.
>>
>> We should pass a law requiring all your racist anti-Semites to wear a
>> white swastika and paint them on the fronts of your businesses.
>>

>There are quite a few who already display them willingly out of a
>sense of identification with the values and goals of the Third Reich.

One more way to fail, since it ensures that your customer base is
going to be a few loons and not much else.

They should have to wear them ALL THE TIME so we know what they are.

--
You are
What you do

Malcolm

In article <2qg8q6pourmpkgb3sn540c53jvr530e1mp@4ax.com>, Fred J. McCall
<fjmccall@gmail.com> writes
>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>In article <fup6q65ukqqur3ebidno6tq46vataicoqf@4ax.com>, Scotty
>><spscot1@gmail.com> writes

>>>It was a serious question and not in support of Akin as he thought.
>>
>>I answered it seriously.
>>
>>>The concern is: If there are no races then a whole lot of Race and
>>>anti-discriminatory legislation might be at risk if a smart arse lawyer
>>>challengers the statement, race gender or creed etc.
>>>
>>I think he would fail very quickly because the word "race" as applied to
>>humans, while it doesn't mean major genetic differences which is what
>>Akins "of that Ilk (sic)" still wants it to mean, is still in common
>>usage to describe different populations of humans and thus can be used
>>in a discriminatory manner.
>>

>So there are only 'races' when it's convenient? That just doesn't
>seem to wash....

It isn't when it's "convenient", it's all the time. It's a word still in
use, including by right-wing morons like Akins "of that Ilk (sic)", to
mean the incorrect splitting of humans into "races". But racial
discrimination, which is the crime, frequently includes discrimination
against nationally or ethnically different people who can be just as
"white" as those who are trying to discriminate against them.

--
Malcolm

Akins of that Ilk

On Apr 12, 7:22 am, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Malcolm <Malc...@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In article
> ><8d602d17-be99-4c5b-a001-689af8278...@l18g2000yql.googlegroups.com>,
> >Akins of that Ilk <the_akins_of_ak...@yahoo.com> writes
>
> >three quotes from Abraham Lincoln from over 150 years ago, somewhat
> >before both the discovery of genetics which showed conclusively that
> >there are no "races" among humans, and also somewhat before the
> >enlightened attitudes of his own governments who finally demonstrated
> >the iniquity of the apartheid that used to be practiced in the USA.
>
> >Akins "of that Ilk (sic)" is showing increasing desperation in clinging
> >to his racist views if he has to go back 150 years to find quotes to
> >comfort him.
>
> Not to mention that they're virtually all from before he was elected,
> when he was trying too convince people that he wasn't going to get
> elected and free all the slaves.
>
> Gee, politicians engage in 'convenient' statements.  Who knew?
>
> --
> "Some people get lost in thought because it's such unfamiliar
>  territory."
>                                       --G. Behn- Hide quoted text -

Lincoln hated slavery, but that didn't mean he wanted the United
States to be a society of black and white citizens. He wanted the
blacks to be sent away to a foreign colony where they could make a new
life for themselves and the White man could be free of their presence
in America, because he realized that this would be the best thing for
both races, so that neither would any longer have to suffer from
living alongside one another.

Lincoln realized, as I do, that one's race is an extention of one's
family, which is an extention of one's self. One is willing to share
with one's own family; but when one has to share with those outside of
one's own race, then there will always be an underlying resentment
that will fester into an overwhelming sense of discontent.

Akins of that Ilk

On Apr 12, 7:26 am, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Akins of that Ilk <the_akins_of_ak...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> I find a bullet is fairly effective.
>
> >> We should pass a law requiring all your racist anti-Semites to wear a
> >> white swastika and paint them on the fronts of your businesses.
>
> >There are quite a few who already display them willingly out of a
> >sense of identification with the values and goals of the Third Reich.
>
> One more way to fail, since it ensures that your customer base is
> going to be a few loons and not much else.
>
> They should have to wear them ALL THE TIME so we know what they are.
>
> --
> You are
> What you do
> When it counts.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not in the business of selling swastikas, but I don't hold any
animosity toward the symbol. There are many symbols I am much less
fond of, including the Christian cross & fish, the Mogen David, the
Cresent of Islam, the rainbow flag, etc.

Akins of that Ilk

On Apr 12, 8:40 am, Malcolm <Malc...@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <2qg8q6pourmpkgb3sn540c53jvr530e...@4ax.com>, Fred J. McCall
> <fjmcc...@gmail.com> writes
>

> >Malcolm <Malc...@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >>In article <fup6q65ukqqur3ebidno6tq46vataic...@4ax.com>, Scotty
> >><spsc...@gmail.com> writes

> >>I answered it seriously.

> >>I think he would fail very quickly because the word "race" as applied to
> >>humans, while it doesn't mean major genetic differences which is what
> >>Akins "of that Ilk (sic)" still wants it to mean, is still in common
> >>usage to describe different populations of humans and thus can be used
> >>in a discriminatory manner.
>
> >So there are only 'races' when it's convenient?  That just doesn't
> >seem to wash....
>
> It isn't when it's "convenient", it's all the time. It's a word still in
> use, including by right-wing morons like Akins "of that Ilk (sic)", to
> mean the incorrect splitting of humans into "races". But racial
> discrimination, which is the crime, frequently includes discrimination
> against nationally or ethnically different people who can be just as
> "white" as those who are trying to discriminate against them.
>
> --
> Malcolm- Hide quoted text -

Incorrect? By whose determination? Certainly not by mine, or by most
individuals who freely admit that there are different races. You are
trying to push an unnatural agenda, Malcolm.

Akins of that Ilk

On Apr 12, 7:19 am, Fred J. McCall <fjmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Malcolm <Malc...@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In article <fup6q65ukqqur3ebidno6tq46vataic...@4ax.com>, Scotty
> ><spsc...@gmail.com> writes

> >>It was a serious question and not in support of Akin as he thought.
>
> >I answered it seriously.
>
> >>The concern is: If there are no races then a whole lot of Race and
> >>anti-discriminatory legislation might be at risk if a smart arse lawyer
> >>challengers the statement, race gender or creed etc.
>
> >I think he would fail very quickly because the word "race" as applied to
> >humans, while it doesn't mean major genetic differences which is what
> >Akins "of that Ilk (sic)" still wants it to mean, is still in common
> >usage to describe different populations of humans and thus can be used
> >in a discriminatory manner.
>
> So there are only 'races' when it's convenient?  That just doesn't
> seem to wash....
>
> --
> "Some people get lost in thought because it's such unfamiliar
>  territory."
>                                       --G. Behn- Hide quoted text -

http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/489...

There is now new and exciting DNA evidence for common Jewish origin --
not just among Cohanim, the Priestly Class, but among Jews scattered
all over the globe.

Recently published research in the field of molecular genetics –- the
study of DNA sequences –- indicates that Jewish populations of the
various Diaspora communities have retained their genetic identity
throughout the exile. Despite large geographic distances between the
communities and the passage of thousands of years, far removed Jewish
communities share a similar genetic profile. This research confirms
the common ancestry and common geographical origin of world Jewry.

Jewish men from communities which developed in the Near East –- Iran,
Iraq, Kurdistan, Yemen -- and European Jews have very similar, almost
identical genetic profiles.

"Despite their long-term residence in different countries and
isolation from one another, most Jewish populations were not
significantly different from one another at the genetic level. The
results support the hypothesis that the paternal gene pools of Jewish
communities from Europe, North Africa and the Middle East descended
from a common Middle Eastern ancestral population, and suggest that
most Jewish communities have remained relatively isolated from
neighboring non-Jewish communities during and after the Diaspora."
(M.F. Hammer, Proc. Nat'l Academy of Science, May 9, 2000)

The basis of this new field of population research is the study of the
Y-chromosome, which is passed virtually unchanged from father to son.
The rare mutations -– which are changes in the non-coding portion of
its DNA –- can serve as markers, which can distinguish peoples. By
studying the genetic signatures of various groups, comparisons can be
made to determine the genetic relationships between the groups.

Y-chromosome research of the Jewish people began as an outgrowth of
the study of Cohanim –- the Jewish priestly family. These studies
showed a very high genetic affinity among present-day Cohanim,
indicating that they do have a common paternal ancestor, estimated to
have lived some 3,000 years ago. (See The Cohanim/DNA Connection)

MOST RECENT RESEARCH

The most recent genetic research consists of obtaining DNA samples,
and doing laboratory analysis and comparison of the DNA markers on the
Y-chromosome –- which is passed from father to son, and on the mtDNA
(mitrocondrial DNA) –- which is passed intact from mother to son and
daughter. This genetic anthropology promises to be particularly
informative for tracking the history of Jewish populations, and
helping to resolve the debate on the origins and migrations of Jewish
communities in the Diaspora.

The researchers proposed to answer the question whether the scattered
groups of modern Jews can be identified as the descendants of the
ancient Hebrews of the Bible, or whether their common ancestry has
been diluted through influx of converts and through intermarriage so
that little remains of their "Jewish genes."

The complex recorded history of dispersal from the Land of Israel and
subsequent residence in and movements between various countries in
Europe, North Africa and the Middle East is expected to produce a
complex pattern of genetic relationships among Jewish populations as
well as between them and the non-Jewish peoples among whom they lived.

The research was based on samples from 29 populations, 7 Jewish,
categorized into five major divisions: Jews, Middle-Eastern non-Jews,
Europeans, North Africans, and sub-Saharan Africans.

The findings were that most Jewish communities -- long separated from
one another in Europe, North Africa, the Near East and the Arabian
Peninsula -- do indeed seem to be genetically similar and closely
related to one another, sharing a common geographical origin.

These Jewish communities are more closely related to each other and to
other Middle Eastern Semitic populations -– Palestinians, Syrians, and
Druze -- than to their neighboring non-Jewish populations in the
Diaspora.

The results also indicate a low level of admixture (intermarriage,
conversion, rape, etc.) into the gene pool of these various Jewish
communities.

Among the Jewish communities sampled, North Africans (Moroccans, etc.)
were most closely related to Babylonian (Iraqi) Jews. These
populations may best represent the paternal gene pool of the ancient
Jewish/Hebrew population dating back to the First Temple period,
before the Babylonian exile (approx. 2,500 years ago).

The Y-chromosome signatures of the Yemenite Jews are also similar to
those of other Jewish and Semitic populations. In contrast, the
paternal gene pool of Ethiopian Jews more closely resembles that of
non-Jewish Ethiopian men.

ASHKENAZI LINKS

Although the Ashkenazi (European) Jewish community separated from
their Mediterranean ancestors some 1,200 years ago and lived among
Central and Eastern European gentiles, their paternal gene pool still
resembles that of other Jewish and Semitic groups originating in the
Middle East.

A low rate of intermarriage between Diaspora Jews and local gentiles
was the key reason for this continuity. Since the Jews first settled
in Europe more than 50 generations ago, the intermarriage rate was
estimated to be only about 0.5% in each generation.

The Ashkenazi paternal gene pool does not appear to be similar to that
of present-day Turkish speakers. This finding opposes the suggestion
that Ashkenazim are descended from the Kuzars, a Turkish-Asian empire
that converted to Judaism en masse in or about the 8th century CE.

The researchers are continuing and expanding their studies
particularly of the Ashkenazi community. They are hoping that by
examining the DNA markers in Jewish populations from different parts
of Europe, they will be able to infer the major historical and
demographic patterns in Ashkenazi populations.

MIGRATION CLUES

In addition to questions of medical interest, there are many
interesting possibilities concerning the origin of Ashkenazi
populations and how they migrated in Europe. It seems likely that Jews
began to arrive in Europe perhaps 1,000 to 1,200 years ago, when
settlement was already sufficiently developed to provide them with
opportunities to make a living.

One theory claims that the Jews of Eastern Europe derive predominantly
from Jewish migrants from the Rhineland or from Italy, being fairly
direct descendants of the original ancient Jewish/Hebrew populations.

A second theory suggests a northerly migration from the Balkans or
from Central Asia, with the possibility of large-scale conversions of
Slavs and/or Kuzars to Judaism.

This argument parallels the controversy over the origin and
development of Yiddish -– the language of Eastern European Jews. One
theory proposes that Jews, migrating from the Rhineland and
neighboring regions spoke an old form of German which provided the
basis of Yiddish.

Other scholars reject the German origin of Yiddish. These linguists
see Yiddish grammar as fundamentally Slavonic, with modern Yiddish
developed by incorporating large numbers of German and Hebrew words
into the context of a basically Slavic grammar and syntax.

There has not been enough historical evidence to decide between such
theories. Now, with the newly developed genetic methods, it is
possible to test these ideas, for example to see if there was a
significant Slavic contribution to modern Ashkenazic Jewry.

CONTINUING RESEARCH

The researchers plan to continue their research by investigating
genetic variation in populations that can trace their Jewish ancestry
to localized communities of Europe, in order to better understand the
history and development of Ashkenazic Jewry

These genetic research findings support Jewish tradition –- both
written and oral.

After over 1,000 years of history in the Land of Israel, Jews
dispersed to many and distant locations throughout the world. Some
Jewish exile communities were relatively stable for two millennia -–
such as in Babylonia (Iraq) and Persia (Iran). Others developed
centuries later, following successive migrations to North Africa and
Europe.

All of these communities maintained their Jewish customs and religious
observance despite prolonged periods of persecution. Jews remained
generally culturally isolated from their host communities. These
genetic studies are a testimony to Jewish family faithfulness.

Malcolm

In article
<76dfbc8e-7d6e-43ab-a1ef-a2d7dd3db731@d28g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
Akins of that Ilk <the_akins_of_akins@yahoo.com> writes
>On Apr 12, 8:40?am, Malcolm <Malc...@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> It isn't when it's "convenient", it's all the time. It's a word still in
>> use, including by right-wing morons like Akins "of that Ilk (sic)", to
>> mean the incorrect splitting of humans into "races". But racial
>> discrimination, which is the crime, frequently includes discrimination
>> against nationally or ethnically different people who can be just as
>> "white" as those who are trying to discriminate against them.
>
>Incorrect? By whose determination? Certainly not by mine, or by most
>individuals who freely admit that there are different races.

You and those individuals are "freely admitting" something which doesn't
exist.

>You are
>trying to push an unnatural agenda, Malcolm.

Are you claiming that my views are against nature, Akins "of that Ilk
(sic)"? The science of genetics is a part of nature and that's what I am
basing my views on, as do all those who, unlike you, don't try and cling
on to the gross iniquity of racial prejudice based on a total falsehood,
because that's what your claims about there being different human
"races" most certainly is based on.

--
Malcolm