Are college professors teaching computer science with ruby?

anne001

4/18/2006 2:53:00 PM

I can't seem to add to this thread I started a while ago.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/44717150b64186d6/2c901493786c9170?q=college+professors&rnum=1#2c9014...

I found an interesting course at MIT which does not explicitely teach
rails, but apparently students are
choosing rails or .Net rather than java to create real world
applications
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/philg/...
http://philip.greenspun.com/teaching/6171/20...

3 Answers

Robert Sheehan

I use Ruby in the Operating Systems course I teach.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/comp...

shane

Robert Sheehan wrote:

> I use Ruby in the Operating Systems course I teach.
>
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/comp...

I had heard a rumour that a tertiary institution in Auckland was doing perl
this year
Was this you, some other school, or someone misreporting the ruby course you
are doing?

--
Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

Robert Sheehan

Shane wrote:

> I had heard a rumour that a tertiary institution in Auckland was doing perl
> this year
> Was this you, some other school, or someone misreporting the ruby course you
> are doing?

It wasn't me. It could well have been someone in the Engineering School.
They certainly use Python there.

Trying to stay on topic. Several students in the CS department have done
networking projects using Ruby, the sort of thing that used to be done
with Perl.