Arachno Ide: Rail support ?

israel t

4/10/2006 10:45:00 PM

"llothar" <llothar@web.de> writes:

> For Interfaces i don't think that eiffel is so bad. Had you ever a look
> at my program "www.ruby-ide.com" it's without doubt the largest
> SmallEiffel programm ever written and contains about hundert dialogs. I
> have my own gui builder and gui library based on the FOX toolkit.

Looks good. The fact that it is Linux, Windows and +- Mac is
interesting.

If there was support for Ruby on Rails, it would be true killer.
1 Answer

Georg Bauhaus

rambam@bigpond.net.au wrote:
> "llothar" <llothar@web.de> writes:
>

>>For Interfaces i don't think that eiffel is so bad. Had you ever a look
>>at my program "www.ruby-ide.com" it's without doubt the largest
>>SmallEiffel programm ever written and contains about hundert dialogs. I
>>have my own gui builder and gui library based on the FOX toolkit.
>

> Looks good. The fact that it is Linux, Windows and +- Mac is
> interesting.
>
> If there was support for Ruby on Rails, it would be true killer.

An interesting indication of why your previous argument about
Eiffel's dead has some shortcomings: Ruby on Rails is very attractive as
long as your programs can be written using RoR approaches
that serve corresponding needs so well. Of course, the makers of
RoR never fail to point to the limits of their approach (to be
debated elsewhere.)

The Gobo framework and the DB classes aren't that different from
RoR after all. I'll concede that learning web framework concepts might
be really interesting if you prior work has mostly been CGI scripts.

Georg