unicode in ruby -- wazup, doc?

algal

4/5/2006 6:57:00 PM

Hello Ruby folks,

Could someone give me the low-down, or just point me to a link, on the
current condition, future prospects, and best practices for handling
unicode in Ruby? I've done the usual googling but it just pulls a
handful of mailing list detritus from the last three years.

Here's the deal: the webapp I'm planning at the moment, the very apple
of my eye, the webapp that will put the kids through college, this thing
will depend massively on good internationalization and smooth handling
of many character sets. I don't want to use Java, for the obvious
reasons. I've investigated odder options like lisp and smalltalk. I
have significant experience with Python and it has fine unicode support.
BUT: it's web frameworks are fragmented, they don't have the power of
the Rails community, and the language is not as friendly to functional
programming as ruby.

If this were all English, I'd choose Ruby in a heartbeat, but this
unicode / i18n stuff is crucial for my app. So ... what to do? Are there
any large, high-profile apps in ruby that handle unicode smoothly, or is
everyone waiting for the 2.0-coming of the VM?

Much obliged,
Algal
1 Answer

anne001