Ruby makes long-awaited entrance in the top 20

minkoo.seo@gmail.com

4/5/2006 11:30:00 AM

Hi group.

Did you see TIOBE Programming Community Index for April 2006? You can
see it here: http://www.tiobe.co...

Ruby made amazingly big leap; it entered top 20. And delta in its rank
is 14!

Sincerely,
Minkoo Seo

5 Answers

Stephen Kellett

In message <1144236576.024152.244630@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
Minkoo Seo <minkoo.seo@gmail.com> writes
>Ruby made amazingly big leap; it entered top 20. And delta in its rank
>is 14!

I think the interesting thing is that D also made a large jump to
position 20. You never hear/read about D and yet there it is, at #20. I
guess lots of people are downloading from Digital Mars.

Also ActionScript is quite high considering it is a proprietary language
with only one vendor (Adobe/Macromedia).

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...

James Herdman

The rankins are flawed though. Pay close attention to their
methodology for obtaining these rankings. Essentially they're counting
the number of hits in Google when they type "<language> programmer".
There's a (relatively) good discussion on Digg about this article.

James H

Doug H

Yeah if anyone makes a language called XXX it will be #1.

James Herdman

On 2006-04-06 13:51:33 -0400, "Doug H" <doug00@gmail.com> said:

> Yeah if anyone makes a language called XXX it will be #1.

Check this out: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crb002...
Eubonicode -- programming in Ebonics =)

Enjoy!

James H

David N. Welton

James H. wrote:
> The rankins are flawed though. Pay close attention to their
> methodology for obtaining these rankings. Essentially they're counting
> the number of hits in Google when they type "<language> programmer".
> There's a (relatively) good discussion on Digg about this article.

I think that my own stats, while not perfect, don't provide an
innacurate picture of things:

http://www.de...articles/language_popul...

I'll try and find some time to run them - it should be interesting to
see whether the numbers confirm what seems obvious - that Ruby is
becoming much more popular.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.c...