ruby to send email attachments

Brad Tilley

4/2/2006 2:23:00 PM

I searched the news group and found a script that sends email with
attachments. I modified it a bit to loop through an array sending to
multiple recipients, however, it seems that addresses with a '_' or a
'-' in them will sometimes produce an error on sending.

The script is too long to post here. Here is a link to it:
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/rtilley/publi...

Would someone look it over to see what I'm doing wrong? I'm relatively
new to Ruby, so I'm sure I've just done something wrong. Perhaps it's
how I read the email addresses into an array?

Also, how would I insert a message-id into emails? Our mail server
complains when a message comes through without one and inserts one
itself. No big deal really, it just raises the spam score a tiny bit
(not that I spam)... these are legit emails.

Thanks to anyone who can offer help or advice!
Brad
2 Answers

Park Heesob

>From: rtilley <rtilley@vt.edu>
>To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: ruby to send email attachments
>Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 23:23:45 +0900
>
>I searched the news group and found a script that sends email with
>attachments. I modified it a bit to loop through an array sending to
>multiple recipients, however, it seems that addresses with a '_' or a '-'
>in them will sometimes produce an error on sending.

insert this line
smtp.set_debug_output $stderr
after the line
smtp = Net::SMTP.new(@server)
and examine the debug messages.

>The script is too long to post here. Here is a link to it:
>http://filebox.vt.edu/users/rtilley/publi...
>
>Would someone look it over to see what I'm doing wrong? I'm relatively new
>to Ruby, so I'm sure I've just done something wrong. Perhaps it's how I
>read the email addresses into an array?
>
>Also, how would I insert a message-id into emails? Our mail server
>complains when a message comes through without one and inserts one itself.
>No big deal really, it just raises the spam score a tiny bit (not that I
>spam)... these are legit emails.

insert message-id like this
wa.write("Message-ID: <000001c656e2$a8217380$0100007f@localhost>\r\n")
after the line
wa.write("MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n")

>Thanks to anyone who can offer help or advice!
>Brad

Hope this helps,

Park Heesob

Dimitri Aivaliotis

Hi Brad,

On 4/2/06, rtilley <rtilley@vt.edu> wrote:
> I searched the news group and found a script that sends email with
> attachments.

You might want to check out SimpleMail
(http://simplemail.ruby...). That's the library I've been
using to send out scripted emails.