Ruby Goes to the Sun

james_b

4/1/2006 3:32:00 PM

I've not seen this translated anyplace, but the Japanese Ruby site has
an announcement about Ruby being bought (yeah, I was surprised, too) by
Sun Microsystems; Matz is moving to California!

The purchase takes effect on Christmas; in preparation for Sun
ownership, Matz is adding static typing (so it plays better with
Java(tm)), and replacing those annoying "end" keywords with significant
indentation, a la Python. (You'll get used to it.) The new name will
be Ruby 2 Enterprise Edition 3000.

The best part, though, is that James Gosling will be adding an
interplanetary navigation library. Pretty sweet!

--
James Britt

"In Ruby, no one cares who your parents were, all they care
about is if you know what you are talking about."
- Logan Capaldo

11 Answers

Jared Richardson

Excellent! I can't wait for Enterprise Ruby Beans!

Jared
http://jaredrich...

--

D_Guidi

Today it's the joke day... nice ... :)

Daniel Harple

On Apr 1, 2006, at 5:31 PM, James Britt wrote:

> Ruby 2 Enterprise Edition 3000

No 6 in that name?

-- Daniel

David N. Welton

James Britt wrote:
> I've not seen this translated anyplace, but the Japanese Ruby site has
> an announcement about Ruby being bought (yeah, I was surprised, too) by
> Sun Microsystems; Matz is moving to California!

I heard that that Hanson guy was putting the band back together for the
MMMBop reunion tour:

http://dedasys.com/hanson_...

Sadly, that will leave him little time for Rails hacking.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.c...

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.de...

Dave Burt

Jared Richardson wrote:
> Excellent! I can't wait for Enterprise Ruby Beans!

No, they will have to find a new name, we already have an ERB, eRuby!

Dave

Robert Dober

On 4/1/06, Dave Burt <dave@burt.id.au> wrote:

> Jared Richardson wrote:
> > Excellent! I can't wait for Enterprise Ruby Beans!
>
> No, they will have to find a new name, we already have an ERB, eRuby!
>
> Dave

I think James should have waited to announce this a day later, but it
becomes clear that he writes the truth when thinking about the imprtance the
sun has in Japanese tradation,
what April 2nd already?
Too bad

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine ; en ce qui

- Albert Einstein

David Vallner

Dna Sobota 01 Apríl 2006 17:31 James Britt napísal:
> I've not seen this translated anyplace, but the Japanese Ruby site has
> an announcement about Ruby being bought (yeah, I was surprised, too) by
> Sun Microsystems; Matz is moving to California!
>
> The purchase takes effect on Christmas; in preparation for Sun
> ownership, Matz is adding static typing (so it plays better with
> Java(tm)), and replacing those annoying "end" keywords with significant
> indentation, a la Python. (You'll get used to it.) The new name will
> be Ruby 2 Enterprise Edition 3000.
>
> The best part, though, is that James Gosling will be adding an
> interplanetary navigation library. Pretty sweet!

Pffft, -waaay- too obvious. I prefer April's Fools jokes that are completely
believable. Setting up hoax sites with fake news articles would gain major
bonus points ;P Possibly an interview with the Sun CEO as a mild giveaway ;P

David Vallner

james_b

David Vallner wrote:
> Dňa Sobota 01 Apríl 2006 17:31 James Britt napísal:
>
>>I've not seen this translated anyplace, but the Japanese Ruby site has
>>an announcement about Ruby being bought (yeah, I was surprised, too) by
>>Sun Microsystems; Matz is moving to California!
>>
>>The purchase takes effect on Christmas; in preparation for Sun
>>ownership, Matz is adding static typing (so it plays better with
>>Java(tm)), and replacing those annoying "end" keywords with significant
>>indentation, a la Python. (You'll get used to it.) The new name will
>>be Ruby 2 Enterprise Edition 3000.
>>
>>The best part, though, is that James Gosling will be adding an
>>interplanetary navigation library. Pretty sweet!
>

> Pffft, -waaay- too obvious. I prefer April's Fools jokes that are completely
> believable. Setting up hoax sites with fake news articles would gain major
> bonus points ;P Possibly an interview with the Sun CEO as a mild giveaway ;P

You forgot the link.

--
James Britt

http://r2ee... - Next-generation Enterprise Ruby

David Vallner

Dna Nedela 02 Apríl 2006 02:47 James Britt napísal:
> You forgot the link.

Hmm, didn't get that one with the original mail...

Amazingly enough, googling for "next generation enterprise ruby" yields two
Star Trek links in the first ten results. Coincidence? I think not ;)

David Vallner

Robert Dober

On 4/2/06, David Vallner <david@vallner.net> wrote:>> Dna Nedela 02 Apríl 2006 02:47 James Britt napísal:> > You forgot the link.>> Hmm, didn't get that one with the original mail...>> Amazingly enough, googling for "next generation enterprise ruby" yields> two> Star Trek links in the first ten results. Coincidence? I think not ;)>> David Vallner>> Do you have enough Data to prove your theory?--Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine ; en ce quiconcerne l'univers, je n'en ai pas acquis la certitude absolue.- Albert Einstein