comp.programming

Terminological question: What is dataset in context of SQL?

Victor Porton

9/30/2015 9:00:00 PM

Terminological question:

Dataset are data from one SQL table or it is a dataset even in the case when
we join several tables?

In other words, does the word "dataset" usually imply that we have data from
just one table, not several tables?

--
Victor Porton - http://porton...
3 Answers

Richard Heathfield

On 30/09/15 21:59, Victor Porton wrote:
> Terminological question:
>
> Dataset are data from one SQL table or it is a dataset even in the case when
> we join several tables?
>
> In other words, does the word "dataset" usually imply that we have data from
> just one table, not several tables?

It depends on context. In the mainframe world, a "dataset" is either a
file ("sequential dataset") or a collection of subfiles within one file
("partitioned dataset"). In the Microsoft world, which is probably what
you're asking about, "dataset" means a collection of one or more tables,
AND any relationships between them, AND any internal working tables that
the database uses to keep everything straight. In the computer science
world at large, "dataset" just means "a bunch of data"!

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

ram

Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:
>Dataset are data from one SQL table or it is a dataset even in the case when
>we join several tables?

In SQL proper, the word »dataset« has no meaning.

It might have a meaning in some SQL-related software or culture.

The data from an SQL table is called »table«.

The result of a JOIN operation also is a table (a »derived table«).

Mark Carroll

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

> Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:
>>Dataset are data from one SQL table or it is a dataset even in the case when
>>we join several tables?
>
> In SQL proper, the word »dataset« has no meaning.
>
> It might have a meaning in some SQL-related software or culture.
>
> The data from an SQL table is called »table«.
>
> The result of a JOIN operation also is a table (a »derived table«).

Thank you, that makes sense: I took a SyBase DB / relational calculus
course years ago and have worked in recent years plenty with PostgreSQL
and also some Oracle and I never ran into the term "dataset" in that
context.

-- Mark