comp.programming

Procedural Generation In Computer Games

Brian

8/7/2015 4:58:00 PM

I know computer games that use procedural generation to generate the game world, like Minecraft, use a seed to determine the layout of the game world. What determines how many areas there are in each game world that gets procedurally generated?
2 Answers

kenobi

W dniu piatek, 7 sierpnia 2015 18:57:56 UTC+2 uzytkownik brian...@yahoo.com napisal:
> I know computer games that use procedural generation to generate the game world, like Minecraft, use a seed to determine the layout of the game world. What determines how many areas there are in each game world that gets procedurally generated?

what?

kenobi

W dniu sroda, 12 sierpnia 2015 09:07:13 UTC+2 uzytkownik fir napisal:
> W dniu piatek, 7 sierpnia 2015 18:57:56 UTC+2 uzytkownik brian....@yahoo.com napisal:
> > I know computer games that use procedural generation to generate the game world, like Minecraft, use a seed to determine the layout of the game world. What determines how many areas there are in each game world that gets procedurally generated?
>
> what?

programmer determines that - he can read gemetries from file of hardcode it in code

i like code generated worlds but some people say that it is hard to obtain more classic
looking worlds in the form of procedural generations (probably not quite true, mixed approach should be fine imo)