Bill Cunningham

7/7/2015 6:37:00 PM

I have read about link maps by a linker. This is old computers though.
Like PDPs and late 60s and 70s computers. Modern C programming with gcc,
does it have an equivalant? Would it be the profiler, debugger, linker, or
something else? This would be for a seg fault or such an error with the OS.

Bill

2 Answers

Bill Cunningham

"Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> wrote in message
> I have read about link maps by a linker. This is old computers though.
> Like PDPs and late 60s and 70s computers. Modern C programming with gcc,
> does it have an equivalant? Would it be the profiler, debugger, linker, or
> something else? This would be for a seg fault or such an error with the
> OS.

No sorry. I don't mean seg fault. A kernel panic. Busy day.

Bill

Ben Bacarisse

"Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> writes:

> "Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have read about link maps by a linker. This is old computers though.
>> Like PDPs and late 60s and 70s computers. Modern C programming with gcc,
>> does it have an equivalant?

It has linker maps. You can get gcc to pass the right option to the
linker linker like this:

gcc -Xlinker -Map=prog.map -o prog prog.c

> Would it be the profiler, debugger, linker, or
>> something else? This would be for a seg fault or such an error with the
>> OS.
>
> No sorry. I don't mean seg fault. A kernel panic. Busy day.

There are easier ways to debug the linux kernel but (a) I'm not expert,
and (b) this is not the right group to ask about that.

--
Ben.