comp.programming

What is the name of main structure in module based application

pavelkastornii

4/16/2015 1:54:00 PM

There are a lot of programs that are module based. Such programs contains of main structure (that manages modules and and let user work with them). For exampale netbeans. My question what is the name of this main structure? By other words there are modules and X? What is X?
2 Answers

Kaz Kylheku

On 2015-04-16, pavelkastornii@gmail.com <pavelkastornii@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are a lot of programs that are module based. Such programs contains of
> main structure (that manages modules and and let user work with them). For
> exampale netbeans. My question what is the name of this main structure? By
> other words there are modules and X? What is X?

If the main structures in modules are just called "modules", then the main
sturcture in the main module can be called "main module".

Don't overthink it.

Also, this way of organizing programs has something in common with the Facade
pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faca...

The main module has some function which use other modules, which are not unlike
the "doSomething()" function in the diagram.

Therefore, there is justificaiton in calling X the program's "facade".

Richard Heathfield

On 16/04/15 19:33, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On 2015-04-16, pavelkastornii@gmail.com <pavelkastornii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are a lot of programs that are module based. Such programs contains of
>> main structure (that manages modules and and let user work with them). For
>> exampale netbeans. My question what is the name of this main structure? By
>> other words there are modules and X? What is X?
>
> If the main structures in modules are just called "modules", then the main
> sturcture in the main module can be called "main module".
>
> Don't overthink it.

With you so far...

> Also, this way of organizing programs has something in common with the Facade
> pattern.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faca...
>
> The main module has some function which use other modules, which are not unlike
> the "doSomething()" function in the diagram.
>
> Therefore, there is justificaiton in calling X the program's "facade".

Indeed. Nevertheless, not everybody will immediately recognise this term
with its architecture-derived meaning, as the word has more recently
acquired a somewhat pejorative connotation.

It might therefore be kinder to call the main module the "interface module".

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk