Newbie needs OOP guidance...

Nick Pestell

3/27/2006 11:03:00 PM

Hi All,

I'm very excited to have found Ruby after a friend recommended it for me to
get back into programming. My last experience was with Pascal and gwbasic 15
years ago! I've bought the Pickaxe v2 and started from the beginning only to
find myself getting a bit lost. I'm sure the author is assuming basic
experience with OOP. I've also looked at the Ruby focused 'learn to program'
guide at pine.fm, but was not satisifed with it in terms of depth and
clarity. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a web resource or book
that provides a good introduction to OOP (pref. with Ruby) that they thought
was logically written and provided enough of a basis to get onto the
pickaxe.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Nick.

7 Answers

Lionel Thiry

Nick Pestell a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I'm very excited to have found Ruby after a friend recommended it for me to
> get back into programming. My last experience was with Pascal and gwbasic 15
> years ago! I've bought the Pickaxe v2 and started from the beginning only to
> find myself getting a bit lost. I'm sure the author is assuming basic
> experience with OOP. I've also looked at the Ruby focused 'learn to program'
> guide at pine.fm, but was not satisifed with it in terms of depth and
> clarity. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a web resource or book
> that provides a good introduction to OOP (pref. with Ruby) that they thought
> was logically written and provided enough of a basis to get onto the
> pickaxe.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Nick.

Maybe try this:

http://www.visibleworkings.com/li...

--
Lionel Thiry

Personal web site: http://users.skynet....

Nick Pestell

Thanks Lionel, Great link... I'm enjoying the format of this draft, very
interesting!

"Lionel Thiry" <lthiryidontwantspams@skynetnospam.be> wrote in message
> Nick Pestell a écrit :
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm very excited to have found Ruby after a friend recommended it for me
>> get back into programming. My last experience was with Pascal and gwbasic
>> 15
>> years ago! I've bought the Pickaxe v2 and started from the beginning only
>> find myself getting a bit lost. I'm sure the author is assuming basic
>> experience with OOP. I've also looked at the Ruby focused 'learn to
>> program'
>> guide at pine.fm, but was not satisifed with it in terms of depth and
>> clarity. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a web resource or book
>> that provides a good introduction to OOP (pref. with Ruby) that they
>> thought
>> was logically written and provided enough of a basis to get onto the
>> pickaxe.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nick.
>>

> Maybe try this:
>
> http://www.visibleworkings.com/li...
>
> --
> Lionel Thiry
>
> Personal web site: http://users.skynet....

Nick Pestell

Well, i just found "Safari in 21 days" on Safari and so far its the best
I've read for my purposes. I live in North Scotland and its freezing right
now, gonna try crack this one in < 21 days! Unless of course my kids decide
not to let me do so!!

Thanks

"Nick Pestell" <news@nickdp.fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Thanks Lionel, Great link... I'm enjoying the format of this draft, very
> interesting!
>

> "Lionel Thiry" <lthiryidontwantspams@skynetnospam.be> wrote in message
>> Nick Pestell a écrit :
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm very excited to have found Ruby after a friend recommended it for me
>>> get back into programming. My last experience was with Pascal and
>>> gwbasic 15
>>> years ago! I've bought the Pickaxe v2 and started from the beginning
>>> only to
>>> find myself getting a bit lost. I'm sure the author is assuming basic
>>> experience with OOP. I've also looked at the Ruby focused 'learn to
>>> program'
>>> guide at pine.fm, but was not satisifed with it in terms of depth and
>>> clarity. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a web resource or
>>> book
>>> that provides a good introduction to OOP (pref. with Ruby) that they
>>> thought
>>> was logically written and provided enough of a basis to get onto the
>>> pickaxe.
>>>
>>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Nick.
>>>

>> Maybe try this:
>>
>> http://www.visibleworkings.com/li...
>>
>> --
>> Lionel Thiry
>>
>> Personal web site: http://users.skynet....

Nick Pestell

Sorry oops, I meant "Ruby in 21 days" ha ha....

> Well, i just found "Safari in 21 days" on Safari and so far its the best
> I've read for my purposes. I live in North Scotland and its freezing right
> now, gonna try crack this one in < 21 days! Unless of course my kids
> decide not to let me do so!!
>
> Thanks
>

> "Nick Pestell" <news@nickdp.fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> Thanks Lionel, Great link... I'm enjoying the format of this draft, very
>> interesting!
>>

>> "Lionel Thiry" <lthiryidontwantspams@skynetnospam.be> wrote in message

>>> Maybe try this:
>>>
>>> http://www.visibleworkings.com/li...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lionel Thiry
>>>
>>> Personal web site: http://users.skynet....

John N. Alegre

Lionel Thiry wrote:

> Nick Pestell a écrit :
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm very excited to have found Ruby after a friend recommended it for me
>> to get back into programming. My last experience was with Pascal and
>> gwbasic 15 years ago! I've bought the Pickaxe v2 and started from the
>> beginning only to find myself getting a bit lost. I'm sure the author is
>> assuming basic experience with OOP. I've also looked at the Ruby focused
>> 'learn to program' guide at pine.fm, but was not satisifed with it in
>> terms of depth and clarity. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a
>> web resource or book that provides a good introduction to OOP (pref. with
>> Ruby) that they thought was logically written and provided enough of a
>> basis to get onto the pickaxe.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.

Did this ever get past Chapter 3. I always thought the first three chapters
where some of the best Ruby stuff I have ever found. Too bad there is not
more, or is there???

john

Wilson Bilkovich

On 3/28/06, John N. Alegre <info@johnalegre.net> wrote:
> Lionel Thiry wrote:
>
> > Nick Pestell a écrit :
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I'm very excited to have found Ruby after a friend recommended it for me
> >> to get back into programming. My last experience was with Pascal and
> >> gwbasic 15 years ago! I've bought the Pickaxe v2 and started from the
> >> beginning only to find myself getting a bit lost. I'm sure the author is
> >> assuming basic experience with OOP. I've also looked at the Ruby focused
> >> 'learn to program' guide at pine.fm, but was not satisifed with it in
> >> terms of depth and clarity. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a
> >> web resource or book that provides a good introduction to OOP (pref. with
> >> Ruby) that they thought was logically written and provided enough of a
> >> basis to get onto the pickaxe.
> >>
> >> Any help is much appreciated.
> >>
> Did this ever get past Chapter 3. I always thought the first three chapters
> where some of the best Ruby stuff I have ever found. Too bad there is not
> more, or is there???

Yep, it got published:
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_ltp/...

Lionel Thiry