comp.programming

More about NUMA and scalability...

Ramine

3/20/2015 9:01:00 PM

Hello,

I have corrected some typos , please read again...

As you have seen me talking in my previous post, i have explained to
you a very important thing, but we have to be smarter than that to
be able to see clearly the overall picture, as you have noticed
researchers are inventing transactional memory, but transactional memory
and my SeqlockX are optimistic mechanisms, this means that you
can not always use transactional memory in a high level way,
for example with AVL trees and Red-black trees and Skiplists,
transactional memory can not be used in a high level way because
the writers can modify the pointers and this can raise exceptions
inside the readers and inside writers, and you can not do it
from high level around the insert() and search() and delete() because
you have to respect the logic of the sequential algorithms, that's
the same with my SeqlockX, you have to use them in this situation in
a finer grained manner from inside the insert() and delete() and
search() of the algorithms... this is the problem with optimistic
mechanisms of transactional memory and my SeqlockX and SMR and RCU
have the same problem... but with the scalable reader-writer locks you
can reason in a high level manner and put the Rlock() RUnlock() and
WLock() and WUnlock() in a straight forward manner around the insert()
and search() and delete() of the AVL tree or Red-Black tree or the
Skiplist, that's the advantage with scalable read-writer locks.

I have thought more about concurrent datastructures, and
i think they will scale well on NUMA architecture, because with
concurrent AVL trees and concurrent Red Black trees and concurrent
Skiplists the access to different nodes allocated in different NUMA
nodes will be random and i have thought about it and this will get
you a good result on NUMA architecture, what is my proof ?
imagine that you have 32 cores and one NUMA node for each 4 cores,
that means 8 NUMA nodes in total, so you will allocate your
nodes in different NUMA nodes, so when 32 threads on 32 cores will
access those concurrent datastructures above, they will do it in a
probabilistic way , this will give a probability of 1/8 (1 over 8 NUMA
nodes) for each thread, so in average i think you will have a contention
for a different NUMA node for every 4 threads , so from the Amdahl's law
this will scale on average to 8X on 8 NUMA nodes, that's really good !
and my reasonning is true for more NUMA nodes, that means it will scale
on more NUMA nodes, so we are safe !

Other than that i have done some scalability prediction for the
following distributed reader-writer mutex:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/scalable-distributed-reader-wr...

as you will noticed i am using an atomic "lock add" assembler
instruction that is executed by only the threads that belong to the same
core, so this will render it less expensive, i have benchmarked
it and i have noticed that it takes 20 CPU cycles on x86, so that's not
so expensive, and i have done a scalability prediction using
this distributed reader-writer mutex with a concurrent AVL tree
and a concurrent Red-Black tree, and it gives 50X scalability on NUMA
architecture when used in client-server way, that's because the "lock
add" assembler instruction that is executed by only the threads that
belong to the same core does take only 20 CPU cycles on x86.

I have finished to port a beautiful skiplist algorithm to freepascal and
delphi... and i am rendering it to a concurrent SkipList using the
distributed reader-writer mutex that i have talked to you about before,
and i have noticed on my benchmarks and doing some calculations
with the Amdahl's law that this concurrent Skiplist that i am
implementing will scale to 100X on read-mostly scenarios and on a NUMA
architecture when it is used in a client-server manner using threads,
that's good.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

14 Answers

Frogbutt

"f. barnes" <fredlb@centurytel.net> wrote in news:fd048601-4d2d-4818-8535-
efe94594ba8b@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> On Sep 1, 7:40?pm, "MikeC" <n0b...@n0where.com> wrote:
>> Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so
>> independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s
> ,
>> has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not
>> residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.
>
> Do you think conservatives give a shit; your priorities are different
> from ours, and you will never understand.

She has been a member of a party that hates America, you blithering fucktard.
And yes, I do think conservatives are going to give a shit. She'll be gone
within days.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/1/4231/18477/...

--
Rules are for those who lack an imagination-Me

For your information, the real Frogbutt doesn't post with other nics,
and doesn't impersonate other posters. Yes, he is a vile Troll, butt,
unlike many of them, he DOES have standards.-Y-Tard, the self proclaimed
"inventor of usenet", in alt.fan.prettyboy 10/15/06

You can fucking go to Hell, you sorry assed-cunt-tainted shite-eating
sonofabitch bastard.-The peace loving and non-violent Tedn'Alice in
alt.fan.utb.naughty-boy on 8/04/08

Gary DeWaay

In article <g9i4n9$7mi$1@registered.motzarella.org>, n0body@n0where.com
MikeC says...

> "f. barnes" <fredlb@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> On Sep 1, 7:40 pm, "MikeC" <n0b...@n0where.com> wrote:
> > Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so
> > independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s,
> > has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not
> > residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.
>
> Do you think conservatives give a shit; your priorities are different
> from ours, and you will never understand.
> Nope. Don't expect conservatives to care. Independents and undecideds?
> Perhaps.

The 33 percenters are taking to Palin like flies on shit.. but McCain
wasn't concerned about them. They were already voting lockstep for him
anyway.

What he wanted was the disaffected Hillary supporters.

Palin's not looking like a wise choice:

"Here's a finding from Gallup: Among Democratic women -- including those
who may be disappointed that Hillary Clinton did not win the Democratic
nomination -- 9% say Palin makes them more likely to support McCain, 15%
less likely. "

http://tinyurl....

ooops.

Starkiller

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:40:02 +0000 (UTC), Frogbutt
<frog@pamboisinsane.org> wrote:

>"f. barnes" <fredlb@centurytel.net> wrote in news:fd048601-4d2d-4818-8535-
>efe94594ba8b@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
>
>> On Sep 1, 7:40?pm, "MikeC" <n0b...@n0where.com> wrote:
>>> Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so
>>> independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s
>> ,
>>> has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not
>>> residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.
>>
>> Do you think conservatives give a shit; your priorities are different
>> from ours, and you will never understand.
>
>She has been a member of a party that hates America, you blithering fucktard.
>And yes, I do think conservatives are going to give a shit. She'll be gone
>within days.
>
>http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/1/4231/18477/...

Problem is you're full of shit in regards to what that party stands
for.

Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and
her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994
statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.

"We are a state's rights party," says Clark, a self-employed
goldminer. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the
Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations
charter and international law."

She says it's not accurate to describe the party as secessionist --
they just want a vote, she says, adding that the members of the AIP
hold different opinions on what Alaska should be.

"My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an
independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being
a commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate
statehood -- but a fuller statehood than exists now.

She doesn't know what Palin's position was.
[...]

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of...

When you find those facts supporting the claim that Palin wants to
secede from the union let us know.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is
big enough to take away everything you have.'

"You cannot enrich the poor by impoverishing the rich."

Frogbutt

Starkiller <NoSpam.SKS_SKanz@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:40:02 +0000 (UTC), Frogbutt
> <frog@pamboisinsane.org> wrote:
>
>>"f. barnes" <fredlb@centurytel.net> wrote in
>>news:fd048601-4d2d-4818-8535- efe94594ba8b@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

>>> ,
>>>
>>> Do you think conservatives give a shit; your priorities are different
>>> from ours, and you will never understand.
>>
>>She has been a member of a party that hates America, you blithering
>>fucktard. And yes, I do think conservatives are going to give a shit.
>> She'll be gone within days.
>>
>>http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/1/4231/18477/...
>

> Problem is you're full of shit in regards to what that party stands
> for.

Problem is you were born without a working brain.

> Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and
> her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994
> statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.
>
> "We are a state's rights party," says Clark, a self-employed
> goldminer. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the
> Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations
> charter and international law."
>
> She says it's not accurate to describe the party as secessionist --
> they just want a vote, she says, adding that the members of the AIP
> hold different opinions on what Alaska should be.
>
> "My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an
> independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being
> a commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate
> statehood -- but a fuller statehood than exists now.
>
> She doesn't know what Palin's position was.
> Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and
> her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994
> statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.
>
> "We are a state's rights party," says Clark, a self-employed
> goldminer. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the
> Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations
> charter and international law."
>
> She says it's not accurate to describe the party as secessionist --
> they just want a vote, she says, adding that the members of the AIP
> hold different opinions on what Alaska should be.
>
> "My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an
> independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being
> a commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate
> statehood -- but a fuller statehood than exists now.
>
> She doesn't know what Palin's position was.
>
> http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of...
>
> When you find those facts supporting the claim that Palin wants to
> secede from the union let us know.

Here you go, idiot. And if this isn't enough look around at their site at
http://www.akip.org/.... She'll be out by the end of the week.

http://www.akip.org...

GOAL

Until we as Alaskans receive our Ultimate Goal, the AIP will continue
to strive to make Alaska a better place to live with less government
interference in our everyday lives.

The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote we were entitled to in
1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives:

1) Remain a Territory.
2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.
3) Accept Commonwealth status.
4) Become a State.

The call for this vote is in furtherance of the dream of the Alaskan
Independence Party's founding father, Joe Vogler, that Alaskans achieve
independence under a minimal government, fully responsive to the people,
and promoting a peaceful and lawful means of resolving differences.

--
Rules are for those who lack an imagination-Me

For your information, the real Frogbutt doesn't post with other nics,
and doesn't impersonate other posters. Yes, he is a vile Troll, butt,
unlike many of them, he DOES have standards.-Y-Tard, the self proclaimed
"inventor of usenet", in alt.fan.prettyboy 10/15/06

You can fucking go to Hell, you sorry assed-cunt-tainted shite-eating
sonofabitch bastard.-The peace loving and non-violent Tedn'Alice in
alt.fan.utb.naughty-boy on 8/04/08

Gary DeWaay

In article <fd048601-4d2d-4818-8535-
efe94594ba8b@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, fredlb@centurytel.net f.
barnes says...

> > Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so
> > independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s,
> > has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not
> > residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.
>
> Do you think conservatives give a shit; your priorities are different
> from ours, and you will never understand.

As if any of us didn't know that righties put party over country?

None O' Yer Bidness

"Starkiller" <NoSpam.SKS_SKanz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Problem is you're full of shit in regards to what that party stands
> for.

I think we have a clue. W.

None O' Yer Bidness

"Gary DeWaay" <dewaay2spikeNOT@sio.midco.net> wrote in message
> In article <fd048601-4d2d-4818-8535-
> efe94594ba8b@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, fredlb@centurytel.net f.
> barnes says...
>

>> > Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so
>> > independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the
>> > 1970s,
>> > has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not
>> > residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.
>>
>> Do you think conservatives give a shit; your priorities are different
>> from ours, and you will never understand.
>>

> As if any of us didn't know that righties put party over country?

While pretending to love god.

Starkiller

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:34:04 -0700, "None O' Yer Bidness" <BHO@wh.net>
wrote:

>"Starkiller" <NoSpam.SKS_SKanz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Problem is you're full of shit in regards to what that party stands
>> for.
>
>I think we have a clue. W.

Only clue you have is what the Kos tells you to think.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is
big enough to take away everything you have.'

"You cannot enrich the poor by impoverishing the rich."

Joe Irvin

But Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and
her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide
convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.

This, it should be noted, does not square with official records.

Gail Fenumiai, director of the Alaska Division of Elections, tells ABC News
that regardless of the impression given to members of the Alaskan
Independence Party, "Gov. Sarah Palin first registered to vote in the state
in May 1982 as a Republican, and she has not changed her party affiliate
with the Division of Elections since that time."

Notice Gail Fenumiai, director of the Alaska Division of Elections, tells
ABC News that regardless of the impression given to members of the Alaskan
Independence Party, "Gov. Sarah Palin first registered to vote in the state
in May 1982 as a Republican, and she has not changed her party affiliate
with the Division of Elections since that time."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of...

Clark, for whatever reason, thought that in 1994 Palin was a kindred spirit.

"We are a state's rights party," says Clark, a self-employed goldminer. The
AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the Alaskan statehood vote
as illegal and in violation of United Nations charter and international
law."

She says it's not accurate to describe the party as secessionist -- they
just want a vote, she says, adding that the members of the AIP hold
different opinions on what Alaska should be.

"My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an
independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being a
commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate statehood --
but a fuller statehood than exists now.

She doesn't know what Palin's position was.

"It never came up in conversation," Clark recalls. "But when she joined the
party, our platform was right under her nose."

"Frogbutt" <frog@pamboisinsane.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> 3) Accept Commonwealth status.
> 4) Become a State.
>
> The call for this vote is in furtherance of the dream of the Alaskan
> Independence Party's founding father, Joe Vogler, that Alaskans achieve
> independence under a minimal government, fully responsive to the people,
> and promoting a peaceful and lawful means of resolving differences.
>
> --
> Rules are for those who lack an imagination-Me
>
> For your information, the real Frogbutt doesn't post with other nics,
> and doesn't impersonate other posters. Yes, he is a vile Troll, butt,
> unlike many of them, he DOES have standards.-Y-Tard, the self proclaimed
> "inventor of usenet", in alt.fan.prettyboy 10/15/06
>
> You can fucking go to Hell, you sorry assed-cunt-tainted shite-eating
> sonofabitch bastard.-The peace loving and non-violent Tedn'Alice in

gimpbimbo

On Sep 1, 9:17 pm, "f. barnes" <fre...@centurytel.net> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 7:40 pm, "MikeC" <n0b...@n0where.com> wrote:
>
> > Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so
> > independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s,
> > has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not
> > residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.
>
> Do you think conservatives give a shit; your priorities are different
> from ours, and you will never understand.

Based on the past eight years of almost total republican rule it can
only be assumed your priorities are to give OBL a free pass while
waging war in the wrong country, eroding the rights of American
citizens, borrowing more money from China, India and even Mexico to
plunge us deeper and deeper into debt while also destroying our
economy. Where there others? Dumbass.