comp.programming

About the distributed reader-writer mutex...

Ramine

3/20/2015 1:13:00 AM

Hello,

Hope you have read and understood my previous post titled:
"About NUMA and we are safe !", what i want to say in this
post is that i have done some scalability prediction
for the following distributed reader-writer mutex:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/scalable-distributed-reader-wr...

as you will noticed i am using an atomic "lock add" assembler
instructions that is executed by only the threads that belong to the
same core, so this will render it less expensive, i have benchmarked
it and i have noticed that it takes 20 CPU cycles on x86, so that's not
so expensive, and i have done a scalability prediction using
this distributed reader-writer mutex with a concurrent AVL tree
and a concurrent Red-Black tree, and it gives 50X scalability on NUMA
architecture when used in client-server way, that's because the "lock
add" assembler instruction that is executed by only the threads that
belong to the same core does take only 20 CPU cycles on x86.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

1 Answer

Ramine

On 3/19/2015 6:13 PM, Ramine wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Hope you have read and understood my previous post titled:
> "About NUMA and we are safe !", what i want to say in this
> post is that i have done some scalability prediction
> for the following distributed reader-writer mutex:
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/scalable-distributed-reader-wr...
>

> as you will noticed i am using an atomic "lock add" assembler
> instructions that is executed by only the threads that belong to the
> same core, so this will render it less expensive, i have benchmarked
> it and i have noticed that it takes 20 CPU cycles on x86, so that's not
> so expensive, and i have done a scalability prediction using
> this distributed reader-writer mutex with a concurrent AVL tree
> and a concurrent Red-Black tree, and it gives 50X scalability on NUMA
> architecture when used in client-server way,

I mean it will scale to 50X on read-mostly scenarios.