comp.programming

nasm and z80

Bill Cunningham

3/3/2015 9:23:00 PM

Can nasm use the old Z80 procesor instruction set? I'm not sure how
complicated it was but from what I've seen there are some strange opcodes or
should I say, a strange instruction set to me. DAA is one instruction. It
might be a little easier to grasp that before going to a limited set of 16
bit assembly with nasm.

If nasm will not work what can?

Bill

1 Answer

robertwessel2@yahoo.com

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 16:22:51 -0500, "Bill Cunningham"
<nospam@nspam.invalid> wrote:

> Can nasm use the old Z80 procesor instruction set? I'm not sure how
>complicated it was but from what I've seen there are some strange opcodes or
>should I say, a strange instruction set to me. DAA is one instruction. It
>might be a little easier to grasp that before going to a limited set of 16
>bit assembly with nasm.
>
> If nasm will not work what can?

DAA is an instruction on 8080, Z-80 and x86, except in x86-64, where
it's been dropped (although it's still there when those processors are
executing other than 64-bit code).

NASM is x86 only, but there are a variety of Z-80 assemblers out
there. You might start at:

http://www.z80.info/...