Whats the rail?

Ryan and Kate Huff

3/26/2006 3:46:00 PM

I am an extreme beginer to ruby on rails, but not to PHP, Java ..... etc and
other OO-like languages. So I have a good understanding of the principles,
just new to Ruby.

I have two simple questions here:

1.) I get that Ruby is the language but what is the "Rails" part about?

2.) I get the Ruby Gems is the package manager but package manager for what?
Language Extensions?

-Thanks

3 Answers

anne001

1. rails is a framework, ie a library, code that someone wrote in ruby.

A rails application is going to be a mix of ruby code to program what
is going on on the server
side and and rails framework set up

2. http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapte...

Logan Capaldo

On Mar 26, 2006, at 11:08 AM, anne001 wrote:

> 1. rails is a framework, ie a library, code that someone wrote in
> ruby.

Just to quibble over framework vs. library. In general you call out
to library code, whereas a framework tends to call your code.

Bill Guindon

On 3/26/06, Ryan and Kate Huff <ryanandkate@wcoil.com> wrote:
> I am an extreme beginer to ruby on rails, but not to PHP, Java ..... etc and
> other OO-like languages. So I have a good understanding of the principles,
> just new to Ruby.
>
> I have two simple questions here:
>
> 1.) I get that Ruby is the language but what is the "Rails" part about?

http://www.rubyon...
(somebody had to do it.)

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".