Suggestion for Ruby quiz

Its Me

3/24/2006 3:23:00 PM

Integration of OWL with Ruby

######################

OWL (Web Ontology Language) has several interesting capabilities, including:
- Define a (possibly anonymous) class using property expressions
DarkChocolate = Dark & base_material is a Chocolate
Dark = (any Thing) with brightness = Low
- Class definition can be incremental and federated
Vehicle = ....
Vehicle = ....
- Classification
Determine if arbitrary object is member of class by checking properties
- Equivalent | Disjoint | ...
Assert that two separately defined classes always | never have the same
members
- First-class properties
Properties are applicable to independent classes (duck typing)
Properties are namespaced (Ruby 2 forthcoming selector namespace)
- Numerous tools
There are many (open-source) tools that handle OWL ontologies
- Formal interpretation
Maps to RDF tuples (subject-predicate-object)
Makes many (open-source) formal analysis tools applicable

Tons of info on OWL on the web. One tutorial at
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/ISWC2003...

######################

A deep integration of OWL with Ruby would be interesting and potentially
very useful:
- opening up new kinds of expressiveness in Ruby
- allowing all of Ruby's power in manipulating OWL
- opening access to OWL and RDF tools.

One might even find some intriguing links between some of OWL's features and
Ruby with duck typing, open classes, method_missing, dynamic mix-ins, etc.
(See http://gigaton.thoughtworks.net/~ofernand1/DeepInteg...)

An example of integrating OWL and Ruby, adapted from the above URL:

class TeachersChild < OWL::Thing

defined_with_query some_expression_or_block_or_string

def misbehave
raise "Teacher's kids never misbehave"

obj1 = OWL::Thing.new (properties which may qualify as TeachersChild)

obj1.misbehave # dynamically pick up TeachersChild#misbehave

ExternalOWLTool.process obj1 # external reasoning tools

######################

There may be some useful Ruby resources already available based on work by
Rich Kilmer.
www.daml.org/meetings/2004/05/pi/pdf/InfoEther-Semitar.pdf

2 Answers

James Gray

On Mar 24, 2006, at 9:23 AM, itsme213 wrote:

> Integration of OWL with Ruby

This is an interesting idea.

My only concern is: how much work is involved? (I honestly have no
idea.) Does someone want to email me an implementation off-list with
details of how long it took you? Could we maybe choose a subset of
functionality that could be accomplished fairly quickly?

James Edward Gray II

Wilson Bilkovich

On 3/24/06, Caleb Clausen <vikkous@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/24/06, itsme213 <itsme213@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Integration of OWL with Ruby
> >
> > ######################
> >
> > OWL (Web Ontology Language) has several interesting capabilities, including:
>
> Aside from the quizzy possibilities, you've made me curious about OWL
> itself. I've never heard of OWL before, but it seems pretty
> interesting. I'm trying to learn more now. Part of my interest is that
> OWL resembles in some ways my pattern-matching language, Reg. It seems
> that they address somewhat different areas, but there is perhaps quite
> a lot of overlap.

Check out Obie's work-in-progress on this topic. Very cool:
"Deep Integration of Ruby with Semantic Web Ontologies"
http://gigaton.thoughtworks.net/~ofernand1/DeepInteg...