comp.programming

how many lines of code are you able to maintain

kenobi

1/8/2015 3:45:00 PM

recently readed " I heard someone say a good programmer can reasonably maintain about 20,000 lines of code. Whether that is 20,000 lines of assembler, C, or some high-level language doesn't matter. It's still 20,000 lines."
This seem a bit low value as my own prohects i was maintaining at home were like 50k lines and i didnt feel any problem with maintaining this value (though i got other problems more releted to visual quality not to code)
So do you think that this sentence is true? have you experienced problems with maintaining larger amounts of codebase? How much were you able to maintain and how much you were not able to maintain? (sorry if question is not appropriate or hard to answer)
2 Answers

luserXtrog

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 9:45:27 AM UTC-6, fir wrote:
> recently readed " I heard someone say a good programmer can reasonably maintain about 20,000 lines of code. Whether that is 20,000 lines of assembler, C, or some high-level language doesn't matter. It's still 20,000 lines."
> This seem a bit low value as my own prohects i was maintaining at home were like 50k lines and i didnt feel any problem with maintaining this value (though i got other problems more releted to visual quality not to code)
> So do you think that this sentence is true? have you experienced problems with maintaining larger amounts of codebase? How much were you able to maintain and how much you were not able to maintain? (sorry if question is not appropriate or hard to answer)

In my limited experience (and corroborated by various
readings which I don't specifically recall), there can
be several "plateaux" where a single-person project
may founder.

With zero upfront design, I expect to start having
issues at around 5k-10k lines*. With more and more
design effort however, much more code can be easily
accommodated.

* For highly terse code, this figure may be much lower.
Eg. With my first version of inca, I got to about 2000,
and could go no further.
https://github.com/luser-...

luserXtrog

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 11:52:11 AM UTC-6, luser droog wrote:
> * For highly terse code, this figure may be much lower.
> Eg. With my first version of inca, I got to about 2000,
> and could go no further.
> https://github.com/luser-...

s/2000/1000

--