comp.programming

About task-based scheduler

Ramine

1/3/2015 4:54:00 AM

Hello,

I have just read the following webpage by Dmitry Vyukov:

http://www.1024cores.net/home/parallel-computing/...

Please read the "Scheduling" part, you will notice that Dmitry Vyukov
have implemented a task-based scheduler on top of the Win32 threading
API. In main part it's similar to classical Cilk-style work-stealing
scheduler that supports system-topology awareness, hyper-threading
awareness, affinity-awareness, batch-spawn capability and manual
task-depth control, but let us ask an important question: Why
Dmitry Vyukov have invented this task based scheduler ? of course
it is to optimize more , but the question that i am asking is
that i think that this task-based scheduler that look like the Cilk
scheduler is especially designed for "recursive" calls in parallel
programs, so if you take a look at my new parallel sort algorithm,
its parallel sorting part is not using recursive calls and its parallel
merging part is not using recursive calls, so i don't think Dmitry's
Scheduler will bring improvement to my parallel algorithm, other
than that even if i rewrite my parallel algorithm to use recursive calls
this will not bring improvement to "big" data and large industrial data
and such, cause what will do the Dmitry's scheduler is to optimize for
a small part of the overall big data, so the Dmitry's scheduler is not
suitable for general cases, so i don't think i will implement such
scheduler , so i will stay with my current threadpool that i have
implemented and used in my parallel algorithms.

Thank you for your time.

Amine Moulay Ramdane.