comp.programming

About VISC architecture

Ramine

11/16/2014 12:45:00 AM

Hello,

I have took a look at the following link about the performance
of the VISC architecture of Soft Machines...

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2014/10/24/soft-machi...

Notice that they are saying that Soft Machines says that:

"The result, the team behind the technology claims, is a boost in
instructions per cycle of 3-4 times compared to existing technologies
resulting in a 2-4 times boost in performance per watt on both single-
and multi-threaded applications.:"

Am i misunderstanding here? cause from what i know about parallel
programming, that scalability is dependant also on the serial part
of the Amdahl equation, so in a "more" memory bound application it can
not scale to 2-4 times, so how can they say that in general there VISC
architecture boosts performance by 2-4 times ? is it a marketing move ?

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

1 Answer

Ramine

Hello,

Read here on the following link , they have come to the same conclusion
as me, cause in a "more" memory bound parallel application ,
the serial part of the Amdahl's law will be bigger because
multicore machines serializes the access to the memory bus,
so it will not scale and you will even have a retrograde throughput
because of contention on the memory bus , and that's the way it is with
multicores machines and i think that's not different with VISC
architecture of Soft Machines.

Read here please:

https://share.sandia.gov/news/resources/news_releases/more-chip-cores-can-mean-slower-supercomputing-sandia-simulation-shows/#.V...

Thank you,