comp.programming

About the Amdahl law

Ramine

11/15/2014 11:37:00 PM

Hello,

I think that the Amdahl law is very important, cause it permits
us to understand better multicore programming and distributed
programming, for example when you are doing a parallel matrix
multiplication, you have to move two doubles and you have also to
multiply them, an the act to multiplying them inside your computers will
tale around 8 clocks if we don't use SIMD instructions, and the act to
move the two doubles from the memory to the CPU will take around 1
clock, so the parallel matrix multiplication will not scale more than 8X
and that's what the Amdahl lawsays, and that's because of contention on
the memory bus that must serialize the accesses to the memomoy , for the
concurrent hashtable that's the same , if the data on the corresponding
keys of the hashtable are more bigger so the data moving from the memory
to the CPU will take much more CPU clocks and this will make the serial
part of the Amdahl equation bigger , so this will make the concurrent
hashtable to scale less and less, and that's also the Amdahl equation
that says that... for databases systems such us Oracle they don't scale
well on multicore systems, cause they are memory bound, so this is why
you have to scale them by distributing your database on many computers
and this will make the memory system and hardisk system truly parallel
for the read transations and this is much better and that's also the
Amdahl equation who says that, so all in all the Amdahl equation is a
good tool that that modifies our perception on parallel programming and
that permit us to undertand better the inner side of parallel programming.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

1 Answer

Ramine

On 11/15/2014 3:36 PM, Ramine wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I think that the Amdahl law is very important, cause it permits
> us to understand better multicore programming and distributed
> programming, for example when you are doing a parallel matrix
> multiplication, you have to move two doubles and you have also to
> multiply them, an the act to multiplying them inside your computers will
> tale around 8 clocks if we don't use SIMD instructions, and the act to

around 8 clocks on x86 computers i mean.