Re: Ruby history

Berger, Daniel

3/22/2006 8:52:00 PM

You may want to email Matz directly to request that information. I
suspect it exists, but that much of the earlier stuff is in Japanese
only.

Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'. There's also no 'runtime
environment', though if you mean a virtual machine, one is coming for
Ruby 2.0 (YARV).

Regards,

Dan

8 Answers

dishmael

>Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'
>
>Dan

I thought there was a way to compile Ruby into an executable (similar, but
better than, Perl's perlcc), or did I misread an email thread that went by a
while back?

Berger, Daniel

David Ishmael wrote:
>>Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'
>>
>>Dan
>

> I thought there was a way to compile Ruby into an executable (similar, but
> better than, Perl's perlcc), or did I misread an email thread that went by a
> while back?

I believe you're thinking of either exerb or rubyscriptexe, which only work for
Windows (or Linux). They aren't 'compilers' per se.

Regards,

Dan

Timothy Bennett

On Mar 22, 2006, at 1:00 PM, David Ishmael wrote:

>> Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'
>>
>> Dan
>
> I thought there was a way to compile Ruby into an executable
> (similar, but
> better than, Perl's perlcc), or did I misread an email thread that
> went by a
> while back?

I remember finding a way to package a Ruby program in an executable,
but it wasn't a compiler, it just packed the Ruby interpreter along
with the Ruby source into the .exe.

Tim

dishmael

Yep, I just went back and looked, its just a collector: RubyScript2Exe. My
bad...

> I thought there was a way to compile Ruby into an executable (similar, but
> better than, Perl's perlcc), or did I misread an email thread that went by
> while back?

I believe you're thinking of either exerb or rubyscriptexe, which only work
for
Windows (or Linux). They aren't 'compilers' per se.

Regards,

Dan

Craig Schweitzer

Thank you very much for your help...do you know how to contact Matz
directly? Do you know his e-mail or any other way of contacting him?

Thanks again,
Craig

Berger, Daniel wrote:
>> language and
>> for this report, but also to learn, understand, and advance
>> my knowledge
>> of computing in general. Any new languages I learn helps me become a
>> better programmer. Please e-mail me at cschweitzer@cfl.rr.com
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any helpful and/or useful information,
>> Craig Robert Schweitzer University of Central Florida
>
> You may want to email Matz directly to request that information. I
> suspect it exists, but that much of the earlier stuff is in Japanese
> only.
>
> Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'. There's also no 'runtime
> environment', though if you mean a virtual machine, one is coming for
> Ruby 2.0 (YARV).
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Bill Guindon

On 3/22/06, Craig Schweitzer <cschweitzer@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your help...do you know how to contact Matz
> directly? Do you know his e-mail or any other way of contacting him?

Well, he reads this list, so there's a fair chance he'll see this
post. If you don't want to wait, give him a shot here:
matz@ruby-lang.org

> Thanks again,
> Craig
>
> Berger, Daniel wrote:
> >> language and
> >> for this report, but also to learn, understand, and advance
> >> my knowledge
> >> of computing in general. Any new languages I learn helps me become a
> >> better programmer. Please e-mail me at cschweitzer@cfl.rr.com
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any helpful and/or useful information,
> >> Craig Robert Schweitzer University of Central Florida
> >
> > You may want to email Matz directly to request that information. I
> > suspect it exists, but that much of the earlier stuff is in Japanese
> > only.
> >
> > Also, there is no Ruby 'compiler'. There's also no 'runtime
> > environment', though if you mean a virtual machine, one is coming for
> > Ruby 2.0 (YARV).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dan

Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".

Stephen Waits

Bill Guindon wrote:
> Well, he reads this list, so there's a fair chance he'll see this
> post. If you don't want to wait, give him a shot here:
> matz@ruby-lang.org

And while you're waiting to hear from Matz, check this out, if you
haven't already:

http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/sect...

--Steve

Craig Schweitzer

Stephen Waits wrote:
> Bill Guindon wrote:
>> Well, he reads this list, so there's a fair chance he'll see this
>> post. If you don't want to wait, give him a shot here:
>> matz@ruby-lang.org
>
> And while you're waiting to hear from Matz, check this out, if you
> haven't already:
>
> http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/sect...
>
> --Steve

Thank you all very much. I might ask a question about how to write an
certain example program in a little while. Is that okay on this forum,
or is there a better place for me to ask for help?

Craig Schweitzer