comp.programming

High level programming languages v block level programming environments

Jacob cuffe-soan

7/2/2014 8:45:00 PM

I am doing a project at school and I have questions about the aforementioned topic.
1. what are the advantages of high level programming languages ?
2. what are the disadvantages of high level programming languages ?
3. what are the pros and cons of block level programming ?

Please help me, thank you!
7 Answers

Kaz Kylheku

On 2014-07-02, Jacob cuffe-soan <cuffesoanjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am doing a project at school and I have questions about the aforementioned
> topic.
> 1. what are the advantages of high level programming languages ?
> 2. what are the disadvantages of high level programming languages ?
> 3. what are the pros and cons of block level programming ?

Define "block level programming". Never heard of it.

The google search for "block level programming" is rather thin,
and some of the uses seem to allude to languages in which functional
blocks can be defined graphically, and connected together by
data flows of some sort.

This use is related to "block level" design in electronics: a high level design
which illustrates the functional blocks of the system, without giving detailed
schematics: for instance blocks like "amplifier", "demodulator", "peak
detector", "low-pass filter", ...

Ramine

On 7/2/2014 1:45 PM, Jacob cuffe-soan wrote:
> I am doing a project at school and I have questions about the aforementioned topic.
> 1. what are the advantages of high level programming languages ?
> 2. what are the disadvantages of high level programming languages ?
> 3. what are the pros and cons of block level programming ?
>

> Please help me, thank you!

The bigger advantage with high level programming languages is
that high level programming does bring high level constructs that
you can reuse, its biggest advantage is reusability i think,
reusability does enhance productivity, so the biggest advantage
with high level languages is that they enhance productivity,
the desavantage with high level programming is that you don't understand
well the low level of programming like you can do with assembler
programming, so you have to take other courses to be able to understand
low level programming, cause low level programming like
in assembler do make you understand more what is happening inside the
hardware when you are programming, so high level programming + low level
programming do make you a better programmer i think.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

Ramine

Hello,

I have talked about the criteria of usability and productivity..

But high level programming languages can enhance the criterias of safety
and performance, cause as i have said before that
high level programming languages do bring high level constructs
those high level constructs can be made fast and safe so that
to enhance more the criterias of safety and performance.

When you think about high level programming of high level
programming languages think about high level constructs.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

On 7/2/2014 5:53 PM, Ramine wrote:
> On 7/2/2014 1:45 PM, Jacob cuffe-soan wrote:
>> I am doing a project at school and I have questions about the
>> aforementioned topic.
>> 1. what are the advantages of high level programming languages ?
>> 2. what are the disadvantages of high level programming languages ?
>> 3. what are the pros and cons of block level programming ?
>>

>> Please help me, thank you!
>>

> Hello,
>
> I have talked about the criteria of usability and productivity..
>
> But high level programming languages can enhance the criterias of safety
> and performance, cause as i have said before that
> high level programming languages do bring high level constructs
> those high level constructs can be made fast and safe so that
> to enhance more the criterias of safety and performance.
>
> When you think about high level programming of high level
> programming languages think about high level constructs.

high level constructs that you find inside high level programming
languages is like bigger and higher and faster and more complex and
safer contructs..

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

> Thank you,
> Amine Moulay Ramdane.

Ramine

On 7/2/2014 5:55 PM, Ramine wrote:
> On 7/2/2014 5:53 PM, Ramine wrote:
>> On 7/2/2014 1:45 PM, Jacob cuffe-soan wrote:
>>> I am doing a project at school and I have questions about the
>>> aforementioned topic.
>>> 1. what are the advantages of high level programming languages ?
>>> 2. what are the disadvantages of high level programming languages ?
>>> 3. what are the pros and cons of block level programming ?
>>>

>>> Please help me, thank you!
>>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have talked about the criteria of usability and productivity..
>>
>> But high level programming languages can enhance the criterias of safety
>> and performance, cause as i have said before that
>> high level programming languages do bring high level constructs
>> those high level constructs can be made fast and safe so that
>> to enhance more the criterias of safety and performance.
>>
>> When you think about high level programming of high level
>> programming languages think about high level constructs.
>>

> high level constructs that you find inside high level programming
> languages is like bigger and higher and faster and more complex and
> safer contructs..

You will say that assembler is faster than high level programming
languages... but this is not true you have to be an expert on assembler
and programming to be able to bring assembler constructs that are faster
than fast high level constructs of high level programming languages...

Implementors of High level programming languages have done
there best to bring faster and safer constructs so that to easy
the job for none expert programmers and avoids to none expert
programmers the difficult and error prone low level programming.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

> Thank you,
> Amine Moulay Ramdane.
>

>> Thank you,
>> Amine Moulay Ramdane.

Richard Heathfield

Jacob cuffe-soan wrote:

> I am doing a project at school and I have questions about the
> aforementioned topic. 1. what are the advantages of high level programming
> languages ? 2. what are the disadvantages of high level programming
> languages ? 3. what are the pros and cons of block level programming ?

Imagine you want to do some painting.

You have a choice between a brush with a six-inch head or a brush with a 3mm
head.

Which one will allow you to complete the painting most quickly?

Which one will allow you the most control over your painting?

Which of these two criteria (speed, control) is most important to you?

If you are painting your garage door, you might prefer the six inch brush.

If you are trying to get your painting accepted by the Louvre, you may
prefer the flexibility of a smaller brush.

It's the same with programming - speed vs control.

Block-structured programming languages simply allow you to build big lumps
of programming (high level) out of smaller lumps (low level). Of the top of
my head I can't think of any mainstream language that doesn't allow you to
do this.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk