[ANN] New article at Ruby Code & Style

james_b

3/20/2006 3:47:00 PM

I'm pleased to announce the publication of a new article at Ruby Code &
Style. Jim Freeze has written an outstanding piece on creating DSLs
(domain-specific languages) with Ruby.

Check it out!

http://www.artima.c...articles/ruby_a...

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.30seco... - Building Better Tools

5 Answers

Bill Guindon

On 3/20/06, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the publication of a new article at Ruby Code &
> Style. Jim Freeze has written an outstanding piece on creating DSLs
> (domain-specific languages) with Ruby.
>
> Check it out!
>
> http://www.artima.c...articles/ruby_a...

Good stuff. Covers all of the basics, and has clear examples of the
meta-programming needed for a DSL. Thanks much to all involved.

> --
> James Britt
>
> http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
> http://www.artima.c... - The Journal By & For Rubyists
> http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
> http://www.30seco... - Building Better Tools

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".

Jenn

In article <6a799$4d10dcd2$53565cf2$4362@cache4.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>,
"Gerard" <g_nospam_hendriksen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Jenn wrote:
> > In article
> > <70f5f76e-2e39-4ebb-967c-c40517a425e4@s5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
> > herman <herstx@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > This is how you respond to the first person in years who says
> > > something friendly to you (i.e. that a lot of sax players like your
> > > MPs)?
> >
> > Indeed. I have no problem at all with most of his posts. I disagree
> > with many of them, but he has a right to his opinions. The only thing
> > that bothers me is his egotistical ranting about his childish view of
> > his importance in the music world.
>
> As for his "opnions": he already started a "thread" about your CV on your
> website.
> Maybe you'll have a problem with that.

If he wants to comment on my CV and compare it with his, I have no
problem with that. He reveals a great deal about himself in doing so,
doesn't he?

> OTOH the essence of his post is exactly the same as ever: HE is a Genius & a
> Giant who has Changed the World.

Yep. Weird, huh?

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com

M forever

On Dec 21, 10:29 pm, Jenn <jennconductsREMOVET...@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <6a799$4d10dcd2$53565cf2$4...@cache4.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>,
>

>  "Gerard" <g_nospam_hendrik...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Jenn wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <70f5f76e-2e39-4ebb-967c-c40517a42...@s5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Indeed.  I have no problem at all with most of his posts.  I disagree
> > > with many of them, but he has a right to his opinions.  The only thing
> > > that bothers me is his egotistical ranting about his childish view of
> > > his importance in the music world.
>
> > As for his "opnions": he already started a "thread" about your CV on your
> > website.
> > Maybe you'll have a problem with that.
>
> If he wants to comment on my CV and compare it with his, I have no
> problem with that.  He reveals a great deal about himself in doing so,
> doesn't he?

Ansermetniac doesn't really have a "CV". He didn't get into music
school, he didn't have much if any other education beyond high school
(high school diploma? could be but I wouldn't bet on it), he just
worked as a machine operator for this one now defunct company. All he
ever "achieved" in life was to make some slight modifications to some
sax mouthpieces. That's about it.

> > OTOH the essence of his post is exactly the same as ever: HE is a Genius & a
> > Giant who has Changed the World.
>
> Yep.  Weird, huh?
>
> --www.jennifermartinmusic.com

ansermetniac

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:33:46 -0800 (PST), M forever <ms1000@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 21, 10:29?pm, Jenn <jennconductsREMOVET...@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <6a799$4d10dcd2$53565cf2$4...@cache4.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>,
>>

>> ?"Gerard" <g_nospam_hendrik...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > As for his "opnions": he already started a "thread" about your CV on your
>> > website.
>> > Maybe you'll have a problem with that.
>>
>> If he wants to comment on my CV and compare it with his, I have no
>> problem with that. ?He reveals a great deal about himself in doing so,
>> doesn't he?
>
>Ansermetniac doesn't really have a "CV". He didn't get into music
>school, he didn't have much if any other education beyond high school
>(high school diploma? could be but I wouldn't bet on it), he just
>worked as a machine operator for this one now defunct company. All he
>ever "achieved" in life was to make some slight modifications to some
>sax mouthpieces. That's about it.

If only your fantasy world was the true one

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Abbedd

On Dec 22, 12:00 am, Abbeddrose Bierce <ansermetn...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:33:46 -0800 (PST), M forever <ms1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On Dec 21, 10:29 pm, Jenn <jennconductsREMOVET...@mac.com> wrote:

> >> If he wants to comment on my CV and compare it with his, I have no
> >> problem with that. He reveals a great deal about himself in doing so,
> >> doesn't he?
>
> >Ansermetniac doesn't really have a "CV". He didn't get into music
> >school, he didn't have much if any other education beyond high school
> >(high school diploma? could be but I wouldn't bet on it), he just
> >worked as a machine operator for this one now defunct company. All he
> >ever "achieved" in life was to make some slight modifications to some
> >sax mouthpieces. That's about it.
>
> If only your fantasy world was the true one
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHA

If I had any fantasy world to live in, you simply wouldn't be in that
fantasy world. Not as a loser not as anything. Why would I include you
in any way in any fantasy world of mine?

Why would I have to build up a fantasy world just to deny you your
"success". Your success - or rather, lack thereof - has absolutely no
bearing on me or my life. I work in completely different fields, so I
have absolutely no reason to be "jealous" of your "success", Maybe if
I was in the same field one could think that I am a jealous or
malicious competitor. But I am not.

Although I find the subject of how instruments are designed and built
quite interesting, I frankly don't give a shit about who is successful
in that field and who isn't. I am not "jealous" of anyone in my own
fields of work either. I respect accomplished pros like my senior
colleagues and my two bosses. I try to learn from them and other
seasoned pros.

I wouldn't mind learning more about instruments from you. That would
actually be interesting. But you don't have anything to say. That's
the problem. Not that I or anyone else is "jealous" or lives in a
"fantasy world" just to deny you your "success".

So , and that brings me to two questions: why should I, or anyone
else, be "jealous" of you and why should I, or anyone else, want to
construct a "fantasy world" in which your phenomenal success as an
instrument designer did not happen?

Why? If in reality, I couldn't give less of a shit what you did or
didn't do in your life in a field that I was never interested in
joining. If you were "successful" in that field, it wouldn't
"threaten" me or anyone else at all. On the contrary, it might make
you a more interesting person. But you aren't. So that's that.

Oh, and one more question: if you are such a big genius, why do you
hang out in this chitchat forum trying to get recognition from total
strangers? What does it matter what other people think? It doesn't
matter at all to me what you think about what I am doing or work and
how successful I am or not.

So why does it matter so much to you? Because without that recognition
or imagined jealousy, your own little fantasy world in which you are
an acoustical designer wouldn't work. You are the only here in need of
a fantasy world.