Rapid Prototyping Perl In Ruby?

thoran@thoran.com

3/17/2006 1:14:00 PM

Hello Again Good Folk of Rubydom,

I was searching for a library in Ruby which I wasn't sure existed, and
sometimes I'll go looking to see if Perl has something. (And when
doesn't it?) When I find that something in Perl it'll often lead me to
something that does exist in Ruby because of a re-implementation which
has the same name or makes reference to the Perl version as its
inspiration, such as was the case with Mechanize recently.

Anyhow whilst doing so, I came across this file:
http://search.cpan.org/src/SIMON/Acme-OneHundredNotOut-100/OneHundre...,
which contains this little gem:

"You know those little snippets that Google and other search engines
display when you
search for some terms? They contextualise the terms in the body of the
document and highlight them in a snippet that best represents how
they're used in the document. This is actually a really hard problem,
and it took me several goes to get L<Text::Context> right. It uses
L<Text::Context::EitherSide> as an "emergency" contextualizer if it
can't get anything right at all, but the algorithm itself is a bit of a
swine.

<paragraph continues, but separated for emphasis>

"I actually had to prototype this module in Ruby to get my
thinking clear enough to code it up in Perl..."

Does this seem a little muddle-headed to anyone!?

Sincerely,

thoran

6 Answers

dblack

james_b

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, thoran@thoran.com wrote:

>> <paragraph continues, but separated for emphasis>
>>
>> "I actually had to prototype this module in Ruby to get my
>> thinking clear enough to code it up in Perl..."
>>
>> Does this seem a little muddle-headed to anyone!?
>

> Maybe I still haven't had enough caffeine... but it doesn't sound
> muddle-headed to me. I'm actually not sure what aspect of it you
> mean. I certainly wouldn't second-guess Simon Cozens, who has written
> more than 100 Perl modules, if that's how he felt he wanted to
> proceed.

Remarkable testimony, too, on how language choice effects thinking.

Pretty striking if Simon Cozens has difficulty thinking something
through in Perl, but finds that Ruby engenders clarity.

--
James Britt

Judge a man by his questions, rather than his answers.
- Voltaire

pat eyler

On 3/17/06, dblack@wobblini.net <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, James Britt wrote:
>
> > dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> >> Hi --
> >>
> > Remarkable testimony, too, on how language choice effects thinking.
> >
> > Pretty striking if Simon Cozens has difficulty thinking something through in
> > Perl, but finds that Ruby engenders clarity.
>
> Simon took very strongly to Ruby, and was pretty visible for a while.
> I don't really know, but I think he might be spending more time on his
> ministry than on programming lately, at least to the extent that he
> hasn't had time to hang out in Ruby-space. It's too bad -- it was
> nice having him around.

He did mention that he was stepping away from programming on his
blog last year. I think he was going on a ministerial training program.

--
thanks,
-pate

thoran@thoran.com

It's a sign! Prediction: Simon Cozens Will Code Ruby...

I accidently ended up on Simon Cozens website for the first time ever
and it turns out he is going to, of all places to be a missionary,
Japan! Clearly Matz has been too busy coding to be doing any religious
conversions if outside help is required.

Even more of an omen for Simon is in the photo of his latest blog entry
(http://blog.simon-c...)... If you look closely you'll see a
packet of Matzos on the left of the table.

Too weird.

thoran

Mike Painter

Terry Cross wrote:
> On Feb 26, 11:03 am, Christopher A. Lee <ca...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:44:31 -0800, "Mike Painter"
>>
>> <mddotpain...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> Then explain things to us. Remember what Einstein said, if you
>>> can't explain it, you don't understand it.
>
> Do you believe that everything that comes from a cow is fit to drink?
>
>> Which is why so many of the loonies cut'n'paste instead thinking it
>> should impress us but can't address points raised.
>
> You will be please to explain to our audience exactly how you flex
> your right knee. If your explanation is adequate, we will be able to
> show it to paralytics and they will be able to move their limbs. If
> your explanation is not adequate, Einstein has decreed you do not
> understand it yourself.

If you hadn't said and then defended so many other stupid things, I would
suggest that you are seeking Loki points here.

Mike Painter

Terry Cross wrote:

>>> Thank you, Christopher. "God" is synonymous with "a Supreme being"
>>> in the orthodox Mosaic religions only. I am among those who
>>> repudiate Moses, along with his Creation myth and his jealous god.
>>
>> Odd that the RCC, most of teh rest of christianity and Judism do not
>> agree with you.
>
> Of course they don't agree with me. They do not agree with you,
> either. Does that make you uncomfortable?

They do in fact agree with me. They say "God" is synonymous with "a Supreme
being"
and you in your infinite arrogance claim they do not do so.

>> Islam specificly states that they worship the same god as the Jews.
>
> Yes ... and?
What you said about tehm was wrong.

>> PS. He said accidentally and you showed it was an accident with your
>> next comments.
>
> Heh, heh, Beavis. He said "accidentally."

I'd make fun of spelling also if I had a mind like yours and was afraid to
actually say anything.