returning p array

Brad Tilley

3/15/2006 4:58:00 PM

I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's easy
for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
there a better way to do this?

def info
#create an array
p array
return p array

Robert Klemme

"rtilley" <rtilley@vt.edu> wrote in message
>I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's easy
>for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
>there a better way to do this?
>
> def info
> #create an array
> p array
> return p array
> end

This won't work because p returns nil. Do this

def info
create_array_somehow.inspect
end

Kind regards

robert

Pierre Barbier de Reuille

rtilley a écrit :
> I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's
> easy for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array?
> Or is there a better way to do this?
>
> def info
> #create an array
> p array
> return p array
> end
"p" just uses the "inspect" method. Thus you can do that :

def info
# create an array
p array
array.inspect
end

Pierre

Brad Tilley

rtilley wrote:
> I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's easy
> for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
> there a better way to do this?
>
> def info
> #create an array
> p array
> return p array
> end

Just to clarify my question... When I create an array like this:

x = Array.new
x.push(1,2,3)

And then write the array to a file, I get a file that reads 123. I would
like a file that looks like this [1, 2, 3] instead.

Thank you,
Brad

Brad Tilley

Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
> "p" just uses the "inspect" method. Thus you can do that :
>
> def info
> # create an array
> p array
> array.inspect
> end
>
> Pierre

Thank you Pierre and Robert. That is exactly what I wanted to do.

Brad

> rtilley wrote:
>> I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It's easy
>> for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
>> there a better way to do this?
>>
>> def info
>> #create an array
>> p array
>> return p array
>> end
>
> Just to clarify my question... When I create an array like this:
>
> x = Array.new
> x.push(1,2,3)

This can be shortened to

x=[1,2,3]

> And then write the array to a file, I get a file that reads 123. I would
> like a file that looks like this [1, 2, 3] instead.

Do x.inspect or x.join ", "

Kind regards

robert