popen broken in win32?

Shea Martin

3/14/2006 3:41:00 PM

I am running a visual studio command line build via IO.popen, like so:

IO.popen("devenv my_solution.sln /rebuild 'release Win32'") do | pipe |
pipe.each_line { |line| puts line }
end

While if I run this command in a cmd window, I get hundreds of lines of
output. I can redirect the output on the command line like this:
devenv my_solution.sln /rebuild 'release Win32 > output.txt, and I don't
lose any output. So I am pretty sure the build output is going to
STDOUT, not STDERR.

ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]

I have also tried replacing the pipe.each_line with str = pipe.read, but
got the same results.

Thanks,

~S
2 Answers

Shea Martin

Shea Martin wrote:
> I am running a visual studio command line build via IO.popen, like so:
>
> IO.popen("devenv my_solution.sln /rebuild 'release Win32'") do | pipe |
> pipe.each_line { |line| puts line }
> end
>
> While if I run this command in a cmd window, I get hundreds of lines of
> output. I can redirect the output on the command line like this:
> devenv my_solution.sln /rebuild 'release Win32 > output.txt, and I don't
> lose any output. So I am pretty sure the build output is going to
> STDOUT, not STDERR.
>
> ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
>
> I have also tried replacing the pipe.each_line with str = pipe.read, but
> got the same results.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~S

The solution to make it work seems to be this:

l_cmd = "devenv my_solution.sln /rebuild 'release Win32'"
IO.popen("cmd.exe", IO::RDWR) do | pipe |
pipe.puts l_cmd
pipe.each_line { |line| puts line }
end

I am assuming that this is a bug, and not a 'feature'.

~S

Shea Martin

> The solution to make it work seems to be this:
>
> l_cmd = "devenv my_solution.sln /rebuild 'release Win32'"
> IO.popen("cmd.exe", IO::RDWR) do | pipe |
> pipe.puts l_cmd
> pipe.each_line { |line| puts line }
> end

Oops, the above, leaves the cmd shell open, this is better:
l_cmd = "devenv my_solution.sln /rebuild 'release Win32'"
IO.popen("cmd.exe /c #{l_cmd}") do | pipe |