Is this a reasonable application for Ruby?

Joe Percival

3/10/2006 5:22:00 AM

I have a box that retrieves data from a weather station as well as a
number of video cameras. I would also like to grab some graphics files
from external FTP sites and execute some gimp comands to generate
animated graphics. There are a number of other data sources that I
would like to access, parse into xml files and upload to my web app.

Also, I have to develop some routines to deal with recovery from
unexpected program termination (we live in an area with unreliable
power). I need to develop routines that figure out what time it is when
they wake up, and execute specific applications at required times.

Are these reasonable applications of ruby? Since I am going to be
learning Ruby anyway for RoR, I thought maybe I could use Ruby for this
kind of task rather than trying to do it all in MS Dos Batch files
(which would require re-learning the intracacies of DOS).

Thanks,
joe

james_b

Joe Percival wrote:
> Are these reasonable applications of ruby? Since I am going to be
> learning Ruby anyway for RoR, I thought maybe I could use Ruby for this
> kind of task rather than trying to do it all in MS Dos Batch files
> (which would require re-learning the intracacies of DOS).

Yes. The devil is in the details, but overall these are reasonable
tasks for Ruby.

There are nice libraries for working with ImageMagick (not sure about
GIMP), plus Ruby ships with the REXML XML parser. (And you can use
libxml as well, if you prefer, thanks to recent reactivation of that
project.)

--
James Britt

"A principle or axiom is of no value without the rules for applying it."
- Len Bullard

mothed out

On Nov 29, 5:03 pm, Falcon <fal...@invalid.net> wrote:
>  westprog wrote...
>
> > "Paul Carr" <paulcarr1974_removeth...@yahoo.ie> wrote in message
> > > @labour Enda Kenny is right. The budget must be brought forward. This is
> > > a crisis for the entire Eurozone. The Republic of Ireland is a
> > > stakeholder of the euro. What Brian Cowen said earlier is also right. We
> > > need to help not only ourselves but the other countries of the Eurozone
> > > too, such as Portugal and Spain, that are also on the frontline of the
> > > financial crisis. Don't buy into this "ourselves alone" guff peddled by
> > > Sinn Fein.
>
> > > Our country is being ridiculed in the international press, and rightly
> > > so. Our delaying tactics are endangering the entire euro project. We
> > > face an emergency. Labour, Fianna Fail and Fine Gael will have to close
> > > ranks for the good of the country, for the good of the Eurozone, for the
> > > good of the region, for the good of the world. This is not an issue to
> > > play politics with. Sinn Fein will huff about betrayal. They always huff
> > > about betrayal. We must do what is right.
>
> > > For me, the bottom line is the euro. The euro is the best thing to has
> > > ever happened to the Republic of Ireland. The decision by Jack Lynch in
> > > 1979 to break the link with sterling by joining the European Exchange
> > > Rate Mechanism was THE BEST DECISION EVER TAKEN BY A TAOISEACH. He made
> > > a decision that had no short-term benefit for our country. Indeed, our
> > > country suffered an economic hangover in the early to mid 1980s. Jack
> > > Lynch thought medium- to long-term when he took that strategic decision
> > > and the country has reaped the benefits since. If we leave the euro, our
> > > country will be set back 30 years and I fear the troubles will be
> > > re-ignited in Northern Ireland. We need to address the institutionalized
> > > gombeen politics in the Republic of Ireland. Don't blame the euro for
> > > that. It is time for the people of Ireland to grow up.
>
> > I'm not economically qualified to say whether the Euro is the cause of Irish
> > woes, or whether it has prevented worse. However, I note that European
> > countries which didn't jjoin the Euro are now lending money to Ireland at
> > exorbitant rates.
>
> And we're all broke too ... It's beginning to look like a giant pyramid
> scheme.
>
> --
> Falcon:
> fide, sed cui vide. (L)

We lent them too much money before, so we now have to lend them money
so they can pay us back, because if they didn’t we couldn’t pay back
the money we owe, which would mean it would cost us more to borrow
money in future. And then where would we be?

Falcon

mothed out wrote...

> On Nov 29, 5:03?pm, Falcon <fal...@invalid.net> wrote:
> > ?westprog wrote...
[...]

> > > I'm not economically qualified to say whether the Euro is the cause of Irish
> > > woes, or whether it has prevented worse. However, I note that European
> > > countries which didn't jjoin the Euro are now lending money to Ireland at
> > > exorbitant rates.
> >
> > And we're all broke too ... It's beginning to look like a giant pyramid
> > scheme.
>
> We lent them too much money before, so we now have to lend them money
> so they can pay us back, because if they didn?t we couldn?t pay back
> the money we owe, which would mean it would cost us more to borrow
> money in future. And then where would we be?

Yep, that just about sums it up. I blame the [economics] teachers.

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

michael adams

"Falcon" <falcon@invalid.net> wrote in message
> westprog wrote...
> >

> > I'm not economically qualified to say whether the Euro is the cause of Irish
> > woes, or whether it has prevented worse. However, I note that European
> > countries which didn't jjoin the Euro are now lending money to Ireland at
> > exorbitant rates.
>
> And we're all broke too ... It's beginning to look like a giant pyramid
> scheme.
>
> --
> Falcon:
> fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Co Wicklow

Set in its own landscaped grounds of c 1.5 acres

Giant Pyramid built 2002

6 bedrooms 4 reception rooms, garaging for 6 cars

Convenient for local schools, shops, and Dart station.

? 20,000,000 o.n.o

One of the best pyramids currently on the Irish market.

michael adams

max.it

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 21:00:33 -0000, "michael adams"
<mjadams27@onetel.net.uk> wrote:

>"Falcon" <falcon@invalid.net> wrote in message
>> westprog wrote...
>> >

>> > I'm not economically qualified to say whether the Euro is the cause of Irish
>> > woes, or whether it has prevented worse. However, I note that European
>> > countries which didn't jjoin the Euro are now lending money to Ireland at
>> > exorbitant rates.
>>
>> And we're all broke too ... It's beginning to look like a giant pyramid
>> scheme.
>>
>> --
>> Falcon:
>> fide, sed cui vide. (L)
>
>Co Wicklow
>
>Set in its own landscaped grounds of c 1.5 acres
>
>Giant Pyramid built 2002
>
>6 bedrooms 4 reception rooms, garaging for 6 cars
>
>Convenient for local schools, shops, and Dart station.
>
>? 20,000,000 o.n.o
>
>One of the best pyramids currently on the Irish market.
>

>michael adams

What's it worth at auction?
Noticed a lot of direlect shop fronts morphing into halal butchers and
asian seed shops lately. Local health inspection guy told me that they
are under pressure, it's all too fast and new.
So how comes a charity shop that can get a rebate of 80% on rates,
plus decent lease deals have to close, and a halal butchers can thrive
without the same benefits? Full rent, full rates, and hardly any
customers.One building was a former Portuguese bbq/cafe turned out to
be a brothel come pot joint. I have been watching a Turkish barber
massage the same guy's head now for weeks. How is he paying rent and
rates for his shop with that kind of customer base?
The Thornton trust has gone upside. They would own a lot of Lurgan
based commercial properties, and probably half of Portadown high
street and almost all of the town end of Thomas street.What's the
craic with that? Big investment or just able to make more and live
for less.

All the guys were eating. I arrived too late to order(umpiring away).
The locals were served Porterhouse steaks, the Indians had plates of
the most colourful veggie stuff (looked like mashed tropical fish).
Ali Z was sitting, still in his whites, watching on. Ramadan. The sun
had almost gone down, but Ali was saving himself for his 'approved'
meal at home (I don't mean at home in Rawlpindi). He must spend a
fortune driving to Belfast, just get proper meat before our local
halal Sal started up.
There is a market for everything and everybody

max.it (the orange cage)

michael adams

<max.it> wrote in message news:4cf6c0ae.50025171@news.btinternet.com...
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 21:00:33 -0000, "michael adams"
> <mjadams27@onetel.net.uk> wrote:
>

> >"Falcon" <falcon@invalid.net> wrote in message
> >> westprog wrote...

Irish

> >> And we're all broke too ... It's beginning to look like a giant pyramid
> >> scheme.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Falcon:
> >> fide, sed cui vide. (L)
> >
> >Co Wicklow
> >
> >Set in its own landscaped grounds of c 1.5 acres
> >
> >Giant Pyramid built 2002
> >
> >6 bedrooms 4 reception rooms, garaging for 6 cars
> >
> >Convenient for local schools, shops, and Dart station.
> >
> >? 20,000,000 o.n.o
> >
> >One of the best pyramids currently on the Irish market.
> >

> >michael adams
>
> What's it worth at auction?
> Noticed a lot of direlect shop fronts morphing into halal butchers and
> asian seed shops lately. Local health inspection guy told me that they
> are under pressure, it's all too fast and new.
> So how comes a charity shop that can get a rebate of 80% on rates,
> plus decent lease deals have to close, and a halal butchers can thrive
> without the same benefits? Full rent, full rates, and hardly any
> customers.One building was a former Portuguese bbq/cafe turned out to
> be a brothel come pot joint. I have been watching a Turkish barber
> massage the same guy's head now for weeks. How is he paying rent and
> rates for his shop with that kind of customer base?
> The Thornton trust has gone upside. They would own a lot of Lurgan
> based commercial properties, and probably half of Portadown high
> street and almost all of the town end of Thomas street.What's the
> craic with that? Big investment or just able to make more and live
> for less.
>
> All the guys were eating. I arrived too late to order(umpiring away).
> The locals were served Porterhouse steaks, the Indians had plates of
> the most colourful veggie stuff (looked like mashed tropical fish).
> Ali Z was sitting, still in his whites, watching on. Ramadan. The sun
> had almost gone down, but Ali was saving himself for his 'approved'
> meal at home (I don't mean at home in Rawlpindi). He must spend a
> fortune driving to Belfast, just get proper meat before our local
> halal Sal started up.
> There is a market for everything and everybody
>
> max.it (the orange cage)

I was in a branch of HMV last week. A biggish one with the two
floors. Music on one, DVD's films etc on the other. The stock on
display must be worth tens of thousands of pounds if not more.

This was in the middle of the day with plenty of people about. For
the two floors there was only one till open and even then there was
nobody about you had to wait by the till until an assistant came
along.

Its always been the same in every branch of HMV I've ever been in.
Hardly any tills open and no queues. Their prices have to stay
competetive up against Amazon and their own website. So how they
can manage to pay their rent, heating bills, rates and wages on what
you see (not) going through their tills has always seemed a miracle
to me.

Same with the big DIY sheds nowadays. Bursting at the seams with
stock and all of the tills deserted for most of the time.

As you mentioned sundown there, maybe the Halal butchers do all their
business at a funny time of day when nobody else is about. The customers
maybe have big families who all mainly stay indoors. And so again go
unnoticed.

michael adams