text editor

Dan

3/9/2006 2:09:00 AM

hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?

Tyler

Dan wrote:
> hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?

http://www.op...

horndude77

There are always these two:

www.vim.org
www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

I prefer vim more because I'm more familiar with it, but both editors
work well. To make this more ruby related this is somewhat interesting:
http://ruvi.ruby....

Mark Rogers

If you are on Mac OSX, try subethaedit.

Mark

Tyler wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>> hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?
>
> http://www.op...

Gregor Kopp

Dan schrieb:
> hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?

try vim (hard to learn)
cream (= vim, but easier to use)
emacs
mondrian ruby ide
jedit

par example

Rob Pitt

It's not an editor it's an IDE but I find eclipse with the RDT (ruby
development tools), subclipse and darcs plugins a great development
environment (especially under Fedora Core 4 where it is compiled
natively). Another bonus is eclipse works on pretty much all OS so
you can use it at home, at work, everywhere.

On 9 Mar 2006, at 02:09, Dan wrote:

> hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for
> code?

Robert Oliver

Dan,

While everyone has their favorites, I'd like to recommend some of mine.
If you're using Windows, I'd recommend:

* SciTE - http://www.scintilla.org/... - included if you grab
the Ruby one click installer)
* jEdit - http://www....
* Dreamweaver 8 with RubyWeaver -
http://www.ridingtheclutch.com/entry... (commercial of course)

On Linux, I find it hard to beat Quanta. It comes with KDE, under the
kdewebdev package.

I hope this helps!

--
Robert Oliver
http://www.rwo...

Erik Veenstra

> hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor
> for code?

NOTEPAD.EXE

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Tassilo Horn

Dan <dan@freeeze.net> writes:

Hi!

> hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for
> code?

There are millions of threads about this topic, but ok, here's a short,
incomplete list (assuming you want to code Ruby):

- Emacs[1] or XEmacs[2] or SXEmacs[3]
- Vim[4]
- Kate[5]
- Eclipse[6] with RDT[7]
- Scite[8]
- Freeride[9]
- ...
- Paper & Pencil[10]

Which one you choose depends on your platform and your personal
preference.

Regards,
Tassilo

Footnotes:
[1] www.gnu.org/software/emacs
[2] www.xemacs.org
[3] www.sxemacs.org
[4] www.vim.org
[5] kate.kde.org
[6] www.eclipse.org
[7] rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net
[8] www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
[9] rubyforge.org/projects/freeride
[10] your desktops drawer

Andreas Wolff

Hi..

Not to forget: - ActiveState Komodo
[http://www.activestate.com/Produc...]

vg,
Andreas

Pistos Christou

Dan wrote:
> hey all, does anyone know where I can find a good text editor for code?

Pistos.horn.toot do ||
puts "Diakonos - http://purepistos.net/diak...